Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange Aerial

Views : 663

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2021, 20:51   #1
mike gilbert
Master Member

Default Strange Aerial

I've just purchased a 1968 model year 1800S. A real old survivor its never been painted or welded and its looking a bit careworn now. Will be a lovely car in time with some TLC. Anyway it came with the original guarantee and handbook for the radio (from Southern Car Radio's Ltd) dated 7th August '68, so this aerial must the one from that date - has anyone seen one like this that runs under the floor? I never have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2054.jpg (245.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2056.jpg (96.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2053.JPG (14.8 KB, 46 views)
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 22:16   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike gilbert View Post
I've just purchased a 1968 model year 1800S. A real old survivor its never been painted or welded and its looking a bit careworn now. Will be a lovely car in time with some TLC. Anyway it came with the original guarantee and handbook for the radio (from Southern Car Radio's Ltd) dated 7th August '68, so this aerial must the one from that date - has anyone seen one like this that runs under the floor? I never have.
That looks to me like they didn't want to remove the interior to run the aerial cable!

Never ever seen one like that and there's absolutely no technical reason for it either!

For the most part, you'd want to keep the cabling inside the car to minimise damp ingress which would alter the impedance of the cable and hence the performance of the aerial.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2021, 22:32   #3
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That looks to me like they didn't want to remove the interior to run the aerial cable!

Never ever seen one like that and there's absolutely no technical reason for it either!

For the most part, you'd want to keep the cabling inside the car to minimise damp ingress which would alter the impedance of the cable and hence the performance of the aerial.
The radio was fitted when the car was a few months old, so I suspect the idea behind it is that there was no requirement to make a hole in one of the outer body panels.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 03:31   #4
Army
marches on his stomach

Does the radio work?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:32   #5
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Does the radio work?
Yes works on medium wave. Nothing on long wave. I just wondered if anyone had seen this set up before. When I looked under the car it took me a minute or two to work out what it was. It's not a thing of beauty.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike gilbert For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 14:47   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike gilbert View Post
Yes works on medium wave. Nothing on long wave. I just wondered if anyone had seen this set up before. When I looked under the car it took me a minute or two to work out what it was. It's not a thing of beauty.
I'm impressed it works as a system.

I haven't seen one like that before - only the poor distant cousin which used to be stuck on the rear window much like a retro-fitted heated rear windscreen thing that would turn yellow in the sun and eventually fall off...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 23:17   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Hello Mike. This is a left over from when they used to fit them under the running boards back in the 30's and 40's. Domestic radio transmission was transmitted horizontally polarised and this also sufficed for early home FM as the aerial had to be horizontal too. Split bell wire dipole behind the curtain rail anyone? In the UK the BBC moved to 'mixed polarisation' in the 70s. Apparently FM transmissions had been horizontal until then as most home listeners stretched out a horizontal wire. With the emergence of car radios capable of FM reception and the use of vertical car aerials, the decision was made to transmit both horizontal and vertical polarised signals (not strictly circular, but close enough).
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 00:24   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Hello Mike. This is a left over from when they used to fit them under the running boards back in the 30's and 40's. Domestic radio transmission was transmitted horizontally polarised and this also sufficed for early home FM as the aerial had to be horizontal too. Split bell wire dipole behind the curtain rail anyone? In the UK the BBC moved to 'mixed polarisation' in the 70s. Apparently FM transmissions had been horizontal until then as most home listeners stretched out a horizontal wire. With the emergence of car radios capable of FM reception and the use of vertical car aerials, the decision was made to transmit both horizontal and vertical polarised signals (not strictly circular, but close enough).
Interesting stuff there Derek - i was under the impression vertical polarisation for radio at least came earlier than the 70s due to the popularity of the transistor radio that often had a telescopic aerial on the top. Purely from a practical basis this worked best when vertical.

The other thing is the horizontal aerial under the car would be extremely directional and hindered somewhat by other cars, buildings and by the car itself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 12:41   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Better quality transistor radios often had an aerial with a flexi joint at the base when pulled right out. This could be useful to swivel the mast to pick up the best signal. I've still got Grundig and Tandberg ones that do that. I think stereo broadcasts made the Beeb and others pay much more attention to polarisation due to the received signal having to be higher to get a good signal to noise ratio. Mono FM is more tolerant of signal level.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 13:08   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

Good info about antenna polarization, but I do need to point out that the gains from having the receiving antenna polarization same as the transmitting antenna polarization only yields big benefits when path is direct ("line of sight")...once reflections come into play, like for instance at night when MW goes long-range an bounces off the ionosphere, the polarization gets mixed and matched, and complex, so most advantage at the receiver is lost. Also, when FM came into popular use, polarization became a lot less important, because the wavelength is 1/100th as long, the Tx power is a lot less, and multipath with accompanying multi-polarization is absolutely typical...
The bottom line on an antenna under the car is...no holes in the (upper) bodywork, and IF the location of car with respect to transmitter is such that signal is strong enough with that antenna location that the radio works satisfactorily...great! Obviously, that is not an optimum location but in European countries, you are probably a lot closer to the transmitting stations than in this expansive country...the only less optimum location for an antenna I can think of would be underground...!

Cheers de KA1-RBP!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: