Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 Sim Card slot???

Views : 2037

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2021, 09:36   #1
starsky

Default XC90 T8 Sim Card slot???

Hi all

Newbie here, sorry for the dumb question, go easy on me.

I recieved by fabulous new XC90 T8 yesterday - I have the sim card from the dealer but no idea where the sim card slot it. The manual suggests it is in the boot but i cant see it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 09:44   #2
soupytwister
Master Member

Open boot, lift the boot floor covers. It's on the right hand side. You're looking for a small black plastic looking holder that has 2 white arrows on it - one on the sim holder (which you pull out), and one on the socket. Just be careful when taking out / putting in so you don't lose any parts.

It's in the manual if still can't find it.
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 22:27   #3
starsky

Very helpful, thanks Soupy. I can now see it as per the owner manual, although it wasnt very clear that i had to remove the base of the car!

So i seem to have got Volvo On Call set up, although the speed of the vodafone sim in the car is TERRIBLE. I mean zero data. So I am picking it up with the dealer tomorrow to see if i can get it working!
starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 22:38   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Shouldn’t the VOC be part of the customer handover process? They should be able to get you up and running when you pick the car up.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polestar Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 22:45   #5
EssexExile
Master Member

Surely you don't need to put a sim in for VOC? For us, probably because we're old and don't understand this modern stuff, the dealer got VOC working for us.
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 22:51   #6
Polestar Pete
Polestar

I agree, I don’t think you do need a SIM in the slot in order for VOC to work (it uses its own SIM).

But still, Volvo give you (or used to) a SIM card for the internal modem and helps you get it set up. They should also register your car with VOC and get that set up with the app.

It’s a simple enough process to do yourself though.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 23:26   #7
js90
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
I agree, I don’t think you do need a SIM in the slot in order for VOC to work (it uses its own SIM).

But still, Volvo give you (or used to) a SIM card for the internal modem and helps you get it set up. They should also register your car with VOC and get that set up with the app.

It’s a simple enough process to do yourself though.
Definitely issues with VOC though. It took three days of trying intermittently for mine to decide to finish the setup process.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 09:59   #8
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsky View Post
Very helpful, thanks Soupy. I can now see it as per the owner manual, although it wasnt very clear that i had to remove the base of the car!

So i seem to have got Volvo On Call set up, although the speed of the vodafone sim in the car is TERRIBLE. I mean zero data. So I am picking it up with the dealer tomorrow to see if i can get it working!
I recently picked my new V90 , came with VOC and Vodafone sim. (previous car V90 didn't have it)
I cannot for the life in me get the Sensus or my phone to connect to the Vodafone sim. I even checked to see if there was a sim present. The Vodafone signal appears to be weak in my area.

Then found this link. Good luck.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h.../iitc/activate

I've decided to tether my phone to the car and use my phone data for live traffic data.
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 10:48   #9
Polestar Pete
Polestar

If you use the Vodafone SIM provided by Volvo, then I seem to recall that an APN needs to be set in the internet settings in Sensus.

Alternatively, just buy a data sim from Amazon (or wherever). I bought a 20Gb unlimited SIM from 3 and it works just fine.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 12:55   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

The Vodafone P-SIM should really have been configured by the dealer as part of the handover process.

I recall the configuration process being a bit of a faff and partly set up so that Vodafone can chase you to renew after 12 months.

In our previous XC60 we used a 20Gb SIM from 3 which is basically plug and play.