Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 528926

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.04%
No 323 62.96%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 8th, 2010, 17:15   #81
scotgc

Lower the Sulphur content? I work in a Refinery and the Diesel goes out to all the vendors from exactly the same storage tanks! Companies like Shell inject "additives" but they will have no effect on Sulphur levels. The benefits from these additives are slightly dubious in my opinion as the standard diesel is manufactured to be entirely suitable for modern engines.

Interestingly vendors keep the details of these additives a closely guarded secret, me being a bit of a cynic am suspicious that it could maybe be a means of making more profit.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 20:11   #82
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post
Lower the Sulphur content? I work in a Refinery and the Diesel goes out to all the vendors from exactly the same storage tanks! Companies like Shell inject "additives" but they will have no effect on Sulphur levels. The benefits from these additives are slightly dubious in my opinion as the standard diesel is manufactured to be entirely suitable for modern engines.

Interestingly vendors keep the details of these additives a closely guarded secret, me being a bit of a cynic am suspicious that it could maybe be a means of making more profit.
ScotGC - thank you for this post, I have been saying this for many months now, but people will not accept that all fuel has the same sulphur content (ULSD) and that the benefits are dubious - it does make the wallet lighter but that is about all The bio-diesel content is also the same - in fact everything that may be causing the DPF issue is the same.

I recall student days when I worked the bars in Edinburgh and when we ran out of McEwans export we would connect Tartan Special to the pump - people would drink the Special from the Export tap saying that it tasted so much better than that Special rubbish!!! (for the English, Special is cheaper than Export and weaker in strength )

This is an example where if you believe it is better then it will be better - even when the same - my opinion on these 'special fuels' is similar - some people believe that because it costs more it must be better
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 22:42   #83
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotgc View Post

I agree that standard diesel is fairly good these days, just look at commercial vehicles that do not billow clouds of black soot any more.

However, I prefer to pay extra for premium diesel for two reasons:

I believe that the premium fuel may contain less biodiesel. In Oz they can add up to 5% biodiesel before having to declare the percentage. I believe that the discount fuel would have the maximum 5% and premium fuel perhaps less.

The premium fuel probably produces less soot and consequently less work is needed in the DPF.

I have no proof that either of these beliefs are correct.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 22:56   #84
scotgc

I like the beer analogy, Tartan Special, ah....that takes me back a bit, come to think of it I was a student in Edinburgh! (only kidding)

For some years now Refinerys have had to produce ULSD or Ultra Low Suphur Diesel. The main purpose of this was to reduce Sulphur Dioxide emissions from vehicle exhausts (for EC emissions regs).

I think that common sense has to prevail here, as I understand it the regen frequency is initiated by the ECU. I would find it hard to believe that this will go ahead if the engine is not sufficiently heated up. When the engine has reached normal temperature revving the guts out of it will not make any difference. If you miss a complete regen once or twice it should not mean the end of the world, it is inevitable that some fuel will find its way into the oil between service intervals. Vehicles that experienced excessive contamination should have had the oil and filter changed out FOC, as customers we should not accept draining down.

It looks to me as though Volvo have acted on some vehicles injecting too much diesel during the regen and that is what the re-programming does.

Just remember, there is only one Refinery in Scotland and it makes 90% of all the fuels sold on the forecourts here, Tesco, Asda, BP, Shell the lot. Paying extra for additives is a bit like ....... a car placebo...... makes us feel a bit better but we don't quite know why.

Anyway, had my R Design Ice White Geartronic for about 6 weeks now and am very pleased with it, love the forum, aren't we all a load of sweetiewives!
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 21:47   #85
dodgyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
However, I prefer to pay extra for premium diesel for two reasons:
I believe that the premium fuel may contain less biodiesel. In Oz they can add up to 5% biodiesel before having to declare the percentage. I believe that the discount fuel would have the maximum 5% and premium fuel perhaps less.
The premium fuel probably produces less soot and consequently less work is needed in the DPF.
I contacted Caltex Australia and asked about the difference between Caltex Vortex Diesel and Caltex Standard Diesel (a 2 cent difference in price per litre)

Their response is

"Apart from the additives in Vortex Diesel, all the other properties of the fuel are the same as our "ordinary" Diesel. The Cetane Number of both diesels is typically around 50 - 52 and both products must meet the Australian Specification for Diesel fuel. "

and the additives are

"You are correct in saying the difference between Caltex Diesel and Caltex Vortex Diesel is that Vortex Diesel contains a very effective fuel system cleaner (particularly injectors), and an anti-foam (to promote speedier filling), while Caltex Diesel does not. In addition, the Vortex Diesel also has a touch of perfume, to make it smell more pleasant if you accidentally spill some on yourself ( mainly for the ladies). Neither of these Diesels contain Biodiese"

So I wouldn't worry too much if one can't find premium diesel for the occasional tankful.
dodgyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 23:10   #86
Vecais

Thanks for that clarification about the premium diesel. I regard any diesel from Caltex, Shell and BP as premium fuel and had not considered the best of the best choices. If Caltex add no biodiesel at all I will try to use it when possible.

In clarification of my previous statement, I avoid the discount independents such as SAFF and United for diesel because both promote the use of biofuels and presumably add as much biodiesel as they are allowed, up to 5%. Some outlets sell B20 and even B100, if you choose.

Conversely, I choose to use their bio alcohol enhanced petrol, up to 10% alcohol, for my petrol engine cars. Generally these discount fuels are cheaper and I am happy to promote Australia growing its own fuel.

However, home grown biodiesel additives may not be the best choice for the rising oil level problem.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:40   #87
XC60Monkey

Default Fuel sulphur content

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
ScotGC - thank you for this post, I have been saying this for many months now, but people will not accept that all fuel has the same sulphur content (ULSD) and that the benefits are dubious - it does make the wallet lighter but that is about all The bio-diesel content is also the same - in fact everything that may be causing the DPF issue is the same.
See attachment for Info I found from another site with specifications straight from the manufacturers ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bpvsvp.jpg (54.3 KB, 37 views)
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 13:01   #88
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Monkey View Post
See attachment for Info I found from another site with specifications straight from the manufacturers ...
and you trust a compilation by an unknown 3rd party that has spelling errors contained within it to have accurate numbers?

sorry, but I am afraid that I am discounting this until an official (and attributed) document is made available
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 13:04   #89
XC60Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
and you trust a compilation by an unknown 3rd party that has spelling errors contained within it to have accurate numbers?

sorry, but I am afraid that I am discounting this until an official (and attributed) document is made available

a very valid point, but given my DPF issues I'll err on the side of caution with every aspect of my car including spending a little extra on premium fuel if there any chance it will reduce the frequency that my engine decides to mix some of it with my oil.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:57   #90
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I guess that the post from ScotGC at

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104713

shows that not only is the spelling poor in the extract you found, but also that the figures are woefully incorrect

At least we now have some attributable information from BS EN 590.