Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newcomer

Views : 1613

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 22:55   #1
bucksta

Default Newcomer

Hi guys,
Just thought I would make myself known to you all and say hi! I have just recently purchased my first ever Volvo 2 days ago and I am loving it! I came from previously owning a Landrover Defender, which I spent many an hour kitting up and tinkering with and I intend to do the same with my new Volvo.

Its a late 07 plate S40 2ltr D SE, has done 60,000 miles in silver. Eventually I hope to spec it to an R-design, but for the moment it will do, while I get used to it, but its not bad for a 20 nearly 21 year old student!! When I have worked out how to, I will get some pics put up of my pride and joy. In the meantime, anyone had any issues/major problems with 07 S40's and is there any advice about kitting it to R-design level?

Lloyd
bucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 23:11   #2
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksta View Post
Hi guys,
Just thought I would make myself known to you all and say hi! I have just recently purchased my first ever Volvo 2 days ago and I am loving it! I came from previously owning a Landrover Defender, which I spent many an hour kitting up and tinkering with and I intend to do the same with my new Volvo.

Its a late 07 plate S40 2ltr D SE, has done 60,000 miles in silver. Eventually I hope to spec it to an R-design, but for the moment it will do, while I get used to it, but its not bad for a 20 nearly 21 year old student!! When I have worked out how to, I will get some pics put up of my pride and joy. In the meantime, anyone had any issues/major problems with 07 S40's and is there any advice about kitting it to R-design level?

Lloyd
Hey Lloyd, welcome - and well done - a very nice motor for a 20 year old!

Try uploading to photobucket and copying + pasting an [IMG] link to get photos up on here.

Not sure about how to get everything up to R-design spec, but here's some mods you'll definitely get bang for buck on with an S40.

1 - Strut Brace (if it doesn't have one already)
2 - IPD Rear Anti Roll bar (totally revolutionizes the handling)
3 - Braided brake lines (loads more brake feel, they are quite spongy standard)

I think with R-Design you'll need the wingmirrors, and Bodykit. Try FRF Volvo (google em) they're very active on the forums and have great service.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:27   #3
busy builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Hey Lloyd, welcome - and well done - a very nice motor for a 20 year old!

Try uploading to photobucket and copying + pasting an [IMG] link to get photos up on here.

Not sure about how to get everything up to R-design spec, but here's some mods you'll definitely get bang for buck on with an S40.

1 - Strut Brace (if it doesn't have one already)
2 - IPD Rear Anti Roll bar (totally revolutionizes the handling)

3 - Braided brake lines (loads more brake feel, they are quite spongy standard)

I think with R-Design you'll need the wingmirrors, and Bodykit. Try FRF Volvo (google em) they're very active on the forums and have great service.

This sounds interesting, is the strut brace in the engine bay ? got a picture ? how does it (and the IPD ? bar) improve the handling and will it work on the V50 ? sorry for all the questions but this sounds interesting, as I have come from a Leon FR Cupra which handled really well and find the Volvo quite firm and not as floaty a ride as the Seat.
busy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:37   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by busy builder View Post
This sounds interesting, is the strut brace in the engine bay ? got a picture ? how does it (and the IPD ? bar) improve the handling and will it work on the V50 ? sorry for all the questions but this sounds interesting, as I have come from a Leon FR Cupra which handled really well and find the Volvo quite firm and not as floaty a ride as the Seat.

goes across the suspension towers @ the front, some have it some don't - should be fairly obvious.

Other item is the IPD rear roll bar - these are the gravy strokes when it comes to getting am S40/V50 to handle better.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...ath=28_187_963

Just check for self levelling suspension - that may cause issues, and confirm it'll fit with the manufacturer of the item before ordering.

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 12:50   #5
bucksta

Thanks T5 Monkey! Yeah, not a bad motor at all for my age. It's already got the strut brace. But I guess it could always be updated from an OEM to an aftermarket one. You done much to yours? It looks pretty damn nice!
Have been looking around at parts to change it to an r-design and externally it's just a case of popping off the front and rear valaces and side skirts and replacing them with the r-design ones.
But am looking forward to a few happy years of ownership.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 14:42   #6
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Thanks T5 Monkey! Yeah, not a bad motor at all for my age. It's already got the strut brace. But I guess it could always be updated from an OEM to an aftermarket one. You done much to yours? It looks pretty damn nice!
Have been looking around at parts to change it to an r-design and externally it's just a case of popping off the front and rear valaces and side skirts and replacing them with the r-design ones.
But am looking forward to a few happy years of ownership.
Mine's had a bit done to it:

BSR stage 3, SS Exhaust, Rear Geometry Kit, Vibratechnics gearbox Mount, OZ 17" Superturismo Alloys, Bell FMIC, LED Side lights, LED interior Lights, Tinted Windows, Eibach Sports Springs, K&N Air Intake, 3" Sports Cat and Downpipe, Debadged, EST Strut Brace, EST Grille, Black Moose Stickers, IPD Rear Roll Bar, Braided Brake Lines.

Soon to have Bilstein B8 Shocks too, and got Conti Sport Contact 3 225/45 up front.

Goes a lot better nowadays, esp round the corners. Used to be into the power but now I'd sort the suspension first and just enjoy punting it down windy roads.

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 20:20   #7
bucksta

Oooo nice!! Fair bit of time and monies you've spent on your baby then!! and I bet she goes too! Went to my local Volvo dealer today asked for a priced list of accessories and had em to have a look over her. Thankfully she has no DPF, thefore at her next service some 12,000 miles away she wont need this doing!! how relieved I was to hear this.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 21:27   #8
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Oooo nice!! Fair bit of time and monies you've spent on your baby then!! and I bet she goes too! Went to my local Volvo dealer today asked for a priced list of accessories and had em to have a look over her. Thankfully she has no DPF, thefore at her next service some 12,000 miles away she wont need this doing!! how relieved I was to hear this.
not spent.... wasted!

It's just a car at the end of the day but you get the odd drive down a Windy Road on a beautiful Sunny day or dispatching some 'quick' cars in style... when you think... this is bloody awesome and I'm glad I'm alive... makes it worth it.

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:25   #9
mikeyscott

How much for the fitting of the IPD and what braided brake lines do you recommend?

Prob going to get hold of my old VAG garage to see if they'd do the work.

Love mine even though it's standard. Just loving it due to the comfort. S40 t5 R Sport SE I think
mikeyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 13:25   #10
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
How much for the fitting of the IPD and what braided brake lines do you recommend?

Prob going to get hold of my old VAG garage to see if they'd do the work.

Love mine even though it's standard. Just loving it due to the comfort. S40 t5 R Sport SE I think
IPD roll bar is about £230 plus £100 for fitting (not that hard if you know what you're doing.)

Braided brake lines - goodridge i think, only one company does them for the S40 T5 anyway AFAIK - they're about £60 + fitting

the Vibratechnics engine mount is a good one to get too and quite cheap (£60)