Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

24 litre air compressor

Views : 621

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:59   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default 24 litre air compressor

Hi All, i've just seen screwfix are doing this little compressor. I want one for a air wrench, and i think most air wrenches recommend min 50 ltrs so they don;t run out.

Has anyone used an air wrench on something as small as this, and did it work? Is this worth a punt?

I'll also use for tyres on car and bike, and occasionally a small air disc cutter which i plan to buy. No painting needed....yet.

50l ones are around the £150-200 mark and i wouldn't get that past SHMBO....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-82...it-240v/48089#
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 12:25   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

My draper 50 litre was £130 ish, it is the other bits though that soon mount up get a decent air hose and other bits is easily add another £50. Other thing is not just capacity is how much air pressure can it rebuild and how quickly the worst thing is having to wait.

I love mine for detailing and removing water when drying as well .

Mine is oil filled not oil free in honesty it can be a pain being oil filled but I like taking care of mine you have reminded me to change the oil in mine soon.

Also another thing is do not leave the air pressure in or leave the air relief screw in the tank, moisture/damp will rust the tank otherwise I remove mine after.

Bare in mind these are not quiet things either.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 17:46   #3
KBB
Master Tech

Its only a 1.5 HP motor and that will have a low CFM. To run an air ratchet and impact gun you will need a 3 HP motor with around 12 CFM.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 18:08   #4
Beavis
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies. THe best branded ones are c.£140 up at the moment, and by the time i've added the air wrench and a few other toys would put the cost too high which SWMBO wouldn't sanction......

I don;t really want to spend more than £100 on the compressor, and just found this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50LTR-2-5H...ht_2815wt_1382 but i've not heard of this brand. A few of the air wrenches i've looked at advise c.7-8bar pressure, but i haven't heard of the CFm rating before.....
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 20:20   #5
Premier Member

I bought one of these 25ltr, 1.5 hp compressors from Screwfix many years ago mainly to use to inflate tyres, but it was not long before I ended up with a whole range of air tools. The small compressor would drive an impact wrench, but only for a very short time before needing a "blow up", so I ended up buying a 2.5 hp 50 ltr machine which is much better; the small compressor has now been relegated back to blowing up tyres and powering an air nailer I use for diy.
For serious use, even the 2.5 hp machine is just on the limit with an impact wrench, 3.0 hp and about 12 cfm would be better. KBB is right to mention the rating of the pump; pressure is important but the capacity in cubic feet per minute is just as important and a unit with a low cfm rating will be useless.
The machine you found on eBay should just about manage a small impact wrench, don't worry about the unknown brand as almost all these machines are made in the same factory and then painted different colours and stickered up as different brands: my 1.5 hp machine is branded as a Wolf, but is identical to a friends Stanley and the switchgear and regulator set up is the same as my Tooltech (from Netto) 2.5 machine.
One other thing is, if you ever intend to spray paint with you compressor, it is best to buy an oil free unit; with an oil filled compressor there is always a little oil in the air which would need to be separated out when painting.

Last edited by 60041; Nov 6th, 2013 at 22:22.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post: