Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bosh MAF part number confusion (original NLA)

Views : 466

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 12:10   #1
Chris1Roll

Default Bosh MAF part number confusion (original NLA)

Hi, hoping someone can shed some light, I've spent hours going round in circles, contemplating throwing in the towel and going to volvo.

Car is a 2001 V70XC with the B5244T3 engine.

Existing original MAF is Bosch 0 280 218 108.
Best place to be sure of a genuine version would be the reseller linked to by Bosch themselves, but it looks like the part is no longer available as it is not even found on the Bosch website:
https://www.boschaftermarket.com/gb/...ery=0280218108

I don't want to risk getting a likely fake e-bay version, anywhere else semi-legitimate online list it as out of stock, and autodoc has more than doubled the price in the past month compared to googles cached search.

My copy of VIDA gives the volvo part number as 31342362.

Plugging that into the Bosch website, returns 0 280 218 335:
https://www.boschaftermarket.com/gb/...Key=0280218335

BUT!
On following the link to their reseller website, they state that ~335 replaces ~088 (the part as fitted to my '04 C70 2.0t...in that case I could just steal the one from my car but that seems unlikely?)

Using the parts selector there it suggests both ~335 and ~437 for the XC.

The info on ~437 says it replaces ~108
https://www.partbusters.com/bsoch-ai...280218437.html

Equally, finding the ~108 -which of course is out of stock- it states replaced by ~437
https://www.partbusters.com/bosch-bo...280218108.html

So which is correct - 335 or 437?

Is anyone able to confirm if one was to order 31342362 from Volvo which Bosch part would be in the box?
I'd rather not pay twice the price from volvo but if thats the only way to be certain, so be it.

Thanks in advance

If you have stuck with this post so far, well done!
To head off other potential questions:
Car is on 123,200 miles with FVSH (even bulbs) up to mid 2018 at 105k. Bought at 110k and serviced 3 times since (low mileage due to lockdowns etc)

Genuine Volvo contactless ETM fitted sometime in 2019/2020 (last few reciepts from Volvo must be missing as no reciept for this or the 2019 cambelt change - volvo sticker from mid 2019 in the engine bay - car bought from the single owners widow in Jan '21 at 110k after it had sat a while and I changed a perfectly good cambelt again before I found the sticker...)

ETM cleaned (not that it was dirty) with proper throttle body cleaner and a new gasket when I replaced the PCV (not that it was blocked) along with a new intake manifold gasket and new injector seals and pintle caps, and every single vacuum hose and every single clip replaced with new (they were quite perished)

Maf reads ~10kg/hr at warm idle with ac off when vida says it should be 12-14kg/hr;
Longterm fuel trim at idle and lower part load is between +8 and +10%.
Sometimes at cruising speeds there is a gentle rythmic surging as if driving into extreme wind.
2 Occasions in last 2k miles of 2/3 stoccatto-type heistations at 50mph lasting a second or so.
1 Occasion of starting the engine and having no throttle response.
Xemodex flowcharts say - replace the Maf.
It seems lots of people say replace the maf when doing the ETM, but it does not look new so pretty sure Volvo did not.

The above, and the timing (mileage) in relation to replacement of the ETM, from reading various threads point me to a gradually failing maf as the likely culprit, I just want to make sure the one I get is correct and will work 100%.
Chris1Roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 21:38   #2
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi

Both units will fit XC70 from pre 2001 to 2007 and other models also .
The earlier Bosch model -108 ( now 437 ) needs a software mod on XC90 s from 2002. The later Bosch model -088 ( now 335 ) does not .
None of that applies to your vehicle i know , so in answer to your question ...
you could get either part but it doesn`t matter . having said that it is more likely that Volvo will supply the later software updated part .

So you could take the one from your C70 ( a later model ) .
It will give you a comparison on VIDA before shelling out on a new MAF .
Do a throttle pedal position sensor check and recalibration too.

Seems like you`re running a little lean or the throttle body , MAF and throttle pedal are out of sync.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 09:22   #3
Chris1Roll

Brill thanks for that.
Yes in that case I can try the C70 one for a bit and see what that does to the fuel trims.
Before I discovered the ETM was new I did the sweep test etc which obviously it passed with flying colours. I'll look at the Accelerator pedal sensor.
Chris1Roll is online now   Reply With Quote