Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18 Alternator position

Views : 1316

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 11:52   #11
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
That looks perfect the manifold is lagged and heat rises, was it a kit ?
No I made the bracket myself

Last edited by Rustinmotion; Mar 28th, 2024 at 11:55.
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 10:32   #12
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
No I made the bracket myself
You could sell the Kit

If not can you give details of the type of alternator pulley and belt ?
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 12:04   #13
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
You could sell the Kit

If not can you give details of the type of alternator pulley and belt ?
This link has detailed drawing https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/compac...amp-alternator
I’d be happy to weld one up for you if I have the materials and you supply the dimensions
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 12:30   #14
Bracpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
This link has detailed drawing https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/compac...amp-alternator
I’d be happy to weld one up for you if I have the materials and you supply the dimensions
That's great and much appreciate the info on the Alternator and the offer of welding, i can weld myself so that looks a nice little job for the future once i finish my other car. Cheers
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 21:32   #15
ColoradoAmazon

I'm having a similar situation and was going to start a new tread but I'll just add to yours.

I was able to purchase a bracket for the block from IPD here in the US. I purchased a Skandix alternator kit from VP Autoparts. I have everything bolted up and it kind of fits but I'm having a hard time finding a belt that will fit just right.

It seems like the pulley on the Skandix alternator is slight different than the Volvo pulleys. A 15 series belt fits well on the Volvo pulleys and a 17 series belt fits better on the Skadix pulley. A 15360 belt just about fits but is awfully close to the hose. I will probably try a 17 series belt.

The alternator either hits the header or the lower coolant hose. If anyone has any recommendations on belt size that would be greatly appreciated.

That compact alternator looks really appealing but I just spent $400 on the Skandix alternator.

I can get some more detailed pictures and dimensions of the bracket if you would like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9841.jpg (233.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9842.jpg (142.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9843.jpg (181.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9693.jpg (110.6 KB, 8 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 13:46   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

CoAm;

Last three digits of that fanbelt number are length in inches, so you could determine what length you need by measuring, and make it on the short side to tuck it close to the engine...but with that header (manuf?), it looks like you might have to go with a smaller unit as shown previously by RiM.

I can't help with the pulley issue, but that Scandix Alt is not making is easy...

Good Luck...let us know how you make out...
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 15:41   #17
ColoradoAmazon

Attached are a couple more photos of the IPD bracket for reference. I can take some dimensions if anyone would like.

I'm not sure on the brand of the header. It's whatever VP Autoparts sells (Exhaust Header 4-2-1, Part #419381-AZ) Some of the adapters had "Made in Italy" on them. I would say overall it fits pretty well.

I don't think I need to be too concerned about the pulley sizes. I played around with putting some washers/spacers between the bracket and the engine block and I'm able to fine tune the spacing for the 15360 belt and make the Skandix alternator work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9906.jpg (141.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9907.jpg (97.1 KB, 11 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 10:58   #18
RCHunt

Thanks for your comments. I have purchased a kit to mount the alternator on the distributor side of the engine from Amazon Cars in the UK. Appears to do the job perfectly although we need to fabricate a new top bracket, the one in the kit does not have the reach. Not sure how the clearance issue would work on a left hand drive car but I think there should be plenty of room because it is mounted higher. You may need to change to an electric fuel pump, mine had one anyway, the alternator may foul the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the block.
RCHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 12:15   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

When you get the Amazon Cars kit install completed perhaps you could be kind enough to posts some useful pictures. What alternator are you using? Thanks.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 22:41   #20
221Tom

Hi All,

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick but the right hand alternator lower lug bolts to the block.So, the right hand method is still viable as long as you have the mounting holes. I might have a spare lug if it helps.

Tom
221Tom is offline   Reply With Quote