Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strut Brace Bushes

Views : 10280

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:22   #11
Brams

Would poly bushing the top engine mount transfer too much noise into the cabin being a diesel?

I spoke to the mechanic from volvo who did my mot & he said it was infact this bush he had noted was at a funny angle possibly caused by a missing lower engine mount bolt which he replaced. I've ordered new drop links front & rear so once these go in with a new top bush & wheel alignment things should be a lot more positive to drive.
Brams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 07:03   #12
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Polybushing the top engine mount on a D5 would be a BIG no-no....far too much vibration. Everything in the car would vibrate and rattle.
stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:36   #13
Brams

stephenevans99 - Have you tried a top poly bush before or are you going on other peoples reviews?

Ok so if it's a big no to the top mount poly bush, I'll just have to replace it with a rubber one. I might look at replacing the front suspension bushes with poly instead & see if it stiffens up the handling. Cheers.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 08:13   #14
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Never fitted one on the D5 - I've learned from other peoples mistakes:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=103613

I'm in the same position as you at the moment, I'm looking at either polybushing the front wishbone bushes OR installing the Meyle HD wishbones. Also looking at polybushing the front anti roll bar.

Try fitting the Powerflex engine bar bush inserts - only take 10 minutes to fit and reduces the movement in the engine bar considerably:

Would love to fit the IPD uprated anti roll bars but they're mega $$$$ - can't justify/afford them at the moment

A good investment is the Ultra Racing strut brace, I've fitted front & rear braces and there is a noticeable difference

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 09:45   #15
Brams

Cheers Stephen, I've already fitted Powerflex's strut brace tensioning kit. I think making my own strut brace might be easy enough for the front, but as mines a V70 I can't fit the rear brace. Just out of interest I noticed in your pics you changed your brake discs etc, can you recommend a good set of dail pads? I am curently considering EBC Ultimax or Green Stuff pads at the moment, what did you use?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 10:04   #16
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

To be honest, I've always been a great believer in fitting Genuine Volvo discs and pads. Never had any problems with noise or excessive dust - you get some very good discounts at the moment from FRF Swansea - upto 70% off at the moment on brakes & service items.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 10:53   #17
Brams

Ok cheers. Is your strut brace aluminium or steel? Also how thick is the flat metal on top of the struts? I've seen braces on other cars that attach to the strut tops & in the middle of the bulkhead, in a sort of triangle, I wonder if this would be hard to make & if there would be a suitable attachment point on our type of car?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 15:05   #18
IggyR35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
To be honest, I've always been a great believer in fitting Genuine Volvo discs and pads. Never had any problems with noise or excessive dust - you get some very good discounts at the moment from FRF Swansea - upto 70% off at the moment on brakes & service items.
Do FRF a vendor on here? Or do you just mention the club to them when ordering?
IggyR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 15:16   #19
kenny37

IggyR35 frf is a main volvo dealer. Many comments from Rufe(simon) on here. very helpfull. you only need to quote C3 when phoning for a quote to get discounted prices. Very fast turn around on orders
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 16:22   #20
IggyR35

Cheers

Tried to PM him but his inbox is full. So posted on his thread!

Thanks again
Iggy
IggyR35 is offline   Reply With Quote