Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

turn indicator.

Views : 959

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2014, 20:31   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Default turn indicator.

Hi folks not been a v70 owner long so please be gentle.
Very happy with the car thus far but last night it developed a fault!
The left hand indicator has stopped working? And so has the hazard lights,strangely the right hand one works just fine.
When the stalk is pushed down for left it clicks the relay just once but dims the dash lights and the front bulb and wing repeater light up briefly but the rear bulb doesn't?.
The rear bulb appears to be ok,if it was dead would this cause the fault or would the fronts flash faster?

I sat up late last night searching here for answers but all were the hazard relay/flasher unit fault.

Could it be a short to earth causing the dimming dash bulbs?

Any suggestions much appreciated,oh and how do you get the hazard switch out as it doesn't look as though it just pulls out?
Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 21:00   #2
kevvydude
Premier Member

hi, it could be a short,you have,nt given a year, but it could be the hazard light switch broken down,had the same problem on mine when i brought it, changed the hazard switch and it was all good, if it was a bulb it wont ness make them flash fast as you have a side repeater, but should flash bulb warning light on dash, if you test the connector with a multi meter,and see if you are getting a feed to each indicator, does,nt sound like the relay, sounds more like a feed fault, or hazard switch , regards

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 21:27   #3
minesa240x3
loyalty

Ah silly old me after all my years on here and i forget the basics,It is a "V" reg 1999,2.4SE manual estate and petrol.As i said most faults i found here were slightly different but most were relay and corroded connectors or just bulb blown.
I took the rear nearside bulb holder out it looked clean and the wire block connector seemed fine.
I will dig out the old voltmeter and have a prod about.Really hoping it's just the relay as my wiring skills are a tad lacking lol.
Still haven't worked out how to get the relay out,unless it means removing the surround?
I read the (850) relay could be prised out or empty switch covers removed to gain access to aid removal?
Mine has no switches or blanks near it.
Funny I hit the hazard button a few times when first driving it especially when i had a cup in the cup holder as i have to kind of reach over the top of it!
Thanks brian.
Edited to say the hazard switch is directly in front of the gear knob!

Last edited by minesa240x3; Apr 15th, 2014 at 21:40.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 15:11   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Pop the radio out and then push the hazard switch through from the rear. The switch is surprisingly long!

If you end up disconnecting the radio don't forget you'll need the code, but to be honest it isn't necessary to remove the radio completely.

The hazard switch is combined with the flasher relay.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 20:15   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you i will give it a try,haven't got a car manual yet and didn't want to force anything,especially old plastic lol.
Brian.
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 21:46   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Tis dead easy. On the front of the radio push in and then pull out the two vertical handles, then simply keep pulling until the whole unit is out.

You'll see the flasher unit relay underneath the radio. Reach to the back of the space where the radio has come out and simply pull the whole relay/switch unit towards you.

Replacement is, in the words of the Haynes, the reverse of removal!

It being a Volvo the whole thing is simple, well-built and straightforward.

If needs be you'll easily get a new relay from a breaker.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 13:42   #7
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

You might want to protect the centre console with a towel so that the radio, which is heavy and has sharp edges, doesn't damage the trim.
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gjd For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 14:51   #8
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd View Post
Hello

You might want to protect the centre console with a towel so that the radio, which is heavy and has sharp edges, doesn't damage the trim.
Sound advice, krussel used some masking tape which was a great idea.
I put the screen wipe cloth over the gear knob as that can be easliy scratched also.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 17:39   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi folks i followed the how to and slid the radio part way out and then the hazard/indicator switch.had a look at a haynes manual for the wiring but it was for an 850 model i happened to have not the v70!
There isn' t any power getting to the rear nearside indicator when checking with a multi meter.
Went to two different breakers yards today but no v70's of the same age just a couple of early 850's and a newer style v70 both had completly different dash layouts.
I did manage to aquire a few bits for my other volvo's though!rare to find a 240,740 or 940 in the yards these days.
Is there an easy way to check the flasher unit? Or wiring.I did a continuity check on the rear bulb holder but imagine unless i remove front bulbs and dash bulbs it will still show a connection?

Electrics aren't my strong point so any help appreciated.
Now scouring the net for other local ish breakers.
Brian.
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 18:51   #10
kevvydude
Premier Member

i,ve got one for your v70, the clips are broke but i know it works ok ,you can use it to check the indicators, i,ll post it if you pm me your address, regards kev

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post: