Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Useless handbrake

Views : 1210

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2017, 21:03   #1
Minormatt

Default Useless handbrake

I have noticed my handbrake is gradually getting worse and worse on my 2005 V70.

Its now got to a point it won't hold on a hill - so no chance of an MOT pass.

The lever travel doesn't seem excessive and the force to apply feels right - but it just doesn't appear to feed down to the wheels.

I will strip it all down when I have a chance, but I need the car every day so need to get parts in before stripping down.

I have new (genuine) shoes and the earlier adjusters (which I have been told can be used to eliminate the "rock". Given its all got to come apart anyway I will put new discs and pads in too - but what else should I be getting in to sort this out?

Any ideas for common faults?

Thanks!
Minormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 21:15   #2
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Hello.
I replaced my disks pads and hand brakes pads wile ago. Once you fit the new pads. All will be ok.
Dont forget to loose the adjustment nut close to the hand brake. Once the new pads are fitted, pull 6 clicks on the hand brake and tight the adjustment bolts on the hand brake. Done......

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=60081
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 21:19   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

a 7mm allen socket. Access to a wire wheel and solvents to clean pins as necessary. A rubber compatible brake parts lube.

A light silicone spray to clean the expander (at the end of the cable).

The hardware kit so you can just cut the old curly-q shoe retainers.

Anti-squeal for the brake pads.

Can o' brake cleaner spray and a wad of discardable cloth or packing paper to catch the sluicing filth.

Small torch to aid in loosening the bleed screws. Some tin foil to make your wrench fit the bleed nipple exactly. Beer
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 16:47   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minormatt View Post
I have noticed my handbrake is gradually getting worse and worse on my 2005 V70.

Its now got to a point it won't hold on a hill - so no chance of an MOT pass.

The lever travel doesn't seem excessive and the force to apply feels right - but it just doesn't appear to feed down to the wheels.

I will strip it all down when I have a chance, but I need the car every day so need to get parts in before stripping down.

I have new (genuine) shoes and the earlier adjusters (which I have been told can be used to eliminate the "rock". Given its all got to come apart anyway I will put new discs and pads in too - but what else should I be getting in to sort this out?

Any ideas for common faults?

Thanks!
new springs and shoe retainers . clean and grease shoe expanders on the ends of the cables
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 10:54   #5
awdv70

I would check that your cables are moving freeley. When you next have it stripped down, check that both sides are showing enough travel.
I had this problem but only realised after doing a full rebuild.
I tried to free it off with penetrant and pushing/pulling on the the expander/cable where it comes through the hub. A WORD OF WARNING, it is easily possible by doing this to ACCIDENTLEY disconect the handbrake cable from the handbrake lever in the car, as they are just looped over the bar. So maybe limit it to pulling away from the hub, then use the handbrake lever to return it, otherwise you will have you to remove your centre console to reconnect the cable to the bar.
If a cable is stuck I would just go for a replacement, as freeing off doesnt last long until sticking again.
awdv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to awdv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 12:58   #6
Minormatt

Sticking cable is an obvious solution... bet its a b*****d of a job without a ramp?

I did a test last night. Engine braking in 5th gear slows the car quicker than the handbrake... lol
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 14:20   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

If you can safely lift and support the car to remove a wheel, you can change the cables too.
Doing it right first time will always be quicker than revisiting and further troubleshooting so I wouldn't mess with the handbrake on a 10+ year old P2 Volvo without changing everything.
Too many make long and hard work of a relatively simple fix.

I would also only use genuine Volvo or ATE parts.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 14:45   #8
awdv70

I agree with chesire, I wasted a lot of time before replacing the cables.
Check out sir rob on youtube, he is a great help, especialy the tip for attaching a strong wire to the ends of each cable before removing, so you can reroute the new cables. As rob says, it is an easy job, just some small screws(after removing the console cover around the gear stick, there are 4 I think and then you need to disconnect the cigarette lighter from in the rear of console) .The cables just pull out where they disapear into the cabin, through thier rubber housings.
Only tricky bit is getting the extender arm in the hub back into the cable end, pushing it down verticaly seems to click it back in. Plus some thin long nose pliers for getting your spring clip retainers back in(just rember there orentation before removing)
If you struggle to get your hubs off, with the cable adjuster nut in the cabin released, it is a sure sign of stuck cables.
There are some good guides on here and Chesires youtube, so as long as you prepare well its no problem
awdv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 19:13   #9
Minormatt

Other than a set of springs for the drums every part I have bought and fitted have been genuine parts (in terms of engine/running gear etc, not phone holders etc).

I shall get cables - is it one or 2 of them?
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 19:58   #10
Shinsplintz 101

It's a pair & as others have said a must do - no point doing half a job. Might as well go OE, only about £50 the pair.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote