Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Increasingly frustrated at RTTI

Views : 1062

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 09:14   #1
Wobbly

Default Increasingly frustrated at RTTI

I’m finding that RTTI has been more misleading lately - it’s getting to the point where I simply don’t trust it, and am reluctant to accept a detour. Far too often I see orange and red indications of issues on what is actually an empty road.

I’m hoping it’s not the car at fault, and that it’s user error.

Has anyone observed the same and tweaked something to resolve it? I could waste a lot of time avoiding a non existent traffic problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 09:35   #2
Munroes

I'm afraid this won't help you but I never use the Volvo maps - in my opinion, useless and quite backwards in RTTI.

The Apple maps have saved me a massive hold up on the M1 southbound, constantly updating me (and changing my route as red road indicators flashed up) as I traversed through, what seemed like forestry commission and back onto the M1, missing the accident.
I now only use the Apple map (not google map) app.
Munroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 09:41   #3
Capt Pugwash

Agreed, I have a huge garmin nav with built in dashcam that sits on my dash on a very clever garmin friction mount...its traffic & nav info runs rings around my xc90 nav, plus the widescreen camera is superb.
This then lets me use the sensus for everything else whilst the nav is via my garmin...Works for me but probably not others!
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/33328
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 09:47   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
I’m finding that RTTI has been more misleading lately - it’s getting to the point where I simply don’t trust it, and am reluctant to accept a detour. Far too often I see orange and red indications of issues on what is actually an empty road.

I’m hoping it’s not the car at fault, and that it’s user error.

Has anyone observed the same and tweaked something to resolve it? I could waste a lot of time avoiding a non existent traffic problem.

Thanks in advance.
I was on the A1 once and I was advised of major hold up ahead and given a detour, I took this detour to find major tailbacks it a village further on, and when I eventually got back to rejoining the A1 it was this traffic rejoining the 2 lane A1 that was causing the original hold up on the A1 and the disruption and tailback in the village.
Talk about an own goal,
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 10:01   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

I reckon the orange and red lines shown on the map display have got much less accurate over the last few months. Several times now I've been stuck in major delays but the map shows all clear (and the converse also) so I pretty much ignore it now. Google Map's traffic info is far more accurate.

I wonder if it's another case of everything going via Volvo's servers. The data may be real-time when it leaves INRIX (the data provider) but by the time it has chugged through/been delayed by Volvo's servers the info is hopelessly out of date.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 12:01   #6
Wobbly

I wondered the same as Lexman, and have downloaded the INRIX iPhone app - I’ll compare the two displays and report back.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 17:20   #7
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
I wondered the same as Lexman, and have downloaded the INRIX iPhone app - I’ll compare the two displays and report back.
The early results show a difference in traffic conditions between the two devices using the same data. I’ll post screenshots later, and have also spoken to Volvo UK, with whom I’ll share this info.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 18:04   #8
Wobbly

Would the “red area” (bottom right on the V90 screen) justify a diversion? The app doesn’t think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8A8891C6-246F-4866-BD89-2474D06A7953.jpeg (76.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg 9C90C8E5-543B-4104-BCD8-641DB883AB22.jpeg (124.1 KB, 32 views)
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 18:37   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Interesting and two very different views of the same thing. Are you able to say which is the more accurate (I assume it's the INRIX app)?
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 18:41   #10
Wobbly

[QUOTE=Lexman8;2328454]Interesting and two very different views of the same thing. Are you able to say which is the more accurate (I assume it's the INRIX app

I think the app is right on this occasion. That road indicated red was clear.