Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights for continental driving

Views : 6331

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 10:39   #11
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post

The loading of the car is not an issue as the headlight self levelling system works well. It is fascinating when you start the car in the dark. The lights go through a levelling procedure, they first go fully up, then fully down before settling at the correct height to suit the car loading. Very entertaining..
The headlight self levelling will work great as long as your car is fully loaded and all passengers are on board before you turn your engine on, if you turn your engine on and then load the boot or cargo area up or passengers get in the back this will alter the car trim.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 23:15   #12
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
Just been out and tried it again and, just as other people have reported, the function does not exist in our new MY18 XC60.

I am popping into my dealer tomorrow so will ask the question & report back here afterwards.

Mike
Well, popped into my dealer tonight and they confirmed that the XC90 does have the function but the V90 & new XC60 do not.

It wasn't too clear why the newer models don't have it other than with the adaptive headlights with shadow technology it is actually not needed. They also have customers with V90's that travel on the continent and have not heard of any issues.

We are off to France for a couple of days in 3 weeks time so the proof will be in the pudding!

Mike
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 11:52   #13
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95 View Post

We are off to France for a couple of days in 3 weeks time so the proof will be in the pudding!

Mike
You should not have a problem as you have headlights with the adaptive shadow technology. They should work no matter which side of the road you are driving on.

However, mere mortals like me with simple fixed LED headlights certainly do have a problem.

I guess the answer is going to be sticky tape blanking part of the lens, the question is where do I put it and what shape should it be?
(Very 21st century!)

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 12:44   #14
Bernard F

I would be surprised if you do need anything. All that is required is to have a very flat top to the beam and you can check this by shining the dipped beam on a wall or garage door. Most headlamp designs these days have that for this reason.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 18:24   #15
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I would be surprised if you do need anything. All that is required is to have a very flat top to the beam and you can check this by shining the dipped beam on a wall or garage door. Most headlamp designs these days have that for this reason.
Prepare to be surprised!

I agree, all I need is a horizontal cut off to the beam (very flat top, as you say).

Every time I use the car after dark it does indeed shine onto both walls and (white) garage doors as I leave home.

However, the beam pattern is indeed a nice clean horizontal line, but only from dead ahead and to the right. The beam from dead ahead to the left is also a nice straight line but it is at an angle of about 20 degrees to the horizontal.
Every car I have owned since 1972 has had a similar beam pattern.

I have been motoring abroad for 40 years (up to about 3000 miles/year) and consequently been sticking "beam deflectors" onto headlamps all of that time. The XC60 is the first car I have owned with LED lights, I had hoped that there might have been a more "Hi Tech" solution, it is looking like I may be disappointed.

I have asked Volvo Customer Support the question, when (if?) I get an answer, I will post it here.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 21:02   #16
Bernard F

I am certainly surprised. Could it be that the N/S lamp is vertically misaligned compared to the O/S. Do you see two different levels when driving.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 21:12   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
Prepare to be surprised!

I agree, all I need is a horizontal cut off to the beam (very flat top, as you say).

Every time I use the car after dark it does indeed shine onto both walls and (white) garage doors as I leave home.

However, the beam pattern is indeed a nice clean horizontal line, but only from dead ahead and to the right. The beam from dead ahead to the left is also a nice straight line but it is at an angle of about 20 degrees to the horizontal.
Every car I have owned since 1972 has had a similar beam pattern.

I have been motoring abroad for 40 years (up to about 3000 miles/year) and consequently been sticking "beam deflectors" onto headlamps all of that time. The XC60 is the first car I have owned with LED lights, I had hoped that there might have been a more "Hi Tech" solution, it is looking like I may be disappointed.

I have asked Volvo Customer Support the question, when (if?) I get an answer, I will post it here.
The days of sticking tape on headlights has gone, modern LED lights are designed to work on the left or right. Or they can be altered to suit either side.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 16:51   #18
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
There is "definitely" a setting in sensus on the XC90 to change to right hand drive. With adaptive led headlights. Normal led will not have this setting.

Attachment 108043
Deffo 100% is not this setting in settings>>my car>> exterior lights

I have the standard LED's on my 17 xc90
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 20:18   #19
ukden

I still have not had an answer from Volvo Customer Support, needless to say, I am not holding my breath.

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 21:34   #20
jmot

so if you dazzle someone and they crash, who's liable? You or Volvo lol
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote