Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 - Passion Red

Views : 1864

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 21:51   #1
whoami

Default S90 - Passion Red

Does anyone know why this colour was apparently discontinued?

I've seen a few used ones for sale (registered in March/April this year), and the V90 is still available in it, but it's not available on the S90.

Thanks.
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:05   #2
chrisrixy

It does seem to have disappeared from the pricelist. Only ever availabe on R-Design spec anyway

Volvo seem to think a choice of black or white - plus a selection of mud/grey/browns is all that is needed now. Magic Blue disappeared from the XC90 this year leaving a limited choice of bright / bold colours - although Passion Red & Bursting Blue are at least still there for R-Designs.

Only XC60 owners get to choose Fusion Red as well as R-Design Passion Red - but most others are stuck without any red choices if you dont want an R-Design. Why?
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:18   #3
whoami

Indeed.

I was extremely surprised at how poor the choice of colours was.

Particularly perplexing is why Passion Red is available on the V90 but not (any longer) on the S90.

Why?
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 12:40   #4
Jimrod

I wanted to order my S90 in Passion red too but had a choice of black, silver or grey. Thrilling!

Thing is, isn't this down to the marketing dept of the country they're sold in? Why should different areas have different choices when they're all made in the same place? It just seems ridiculous logic to me, perhaps even restricting sales. It's not just Volvo that do this but that doesn't make it better. These cars are all made to order, not bought in batches so should be no problem having any colour Volvo offer anywhere else or on other models made in the same place.
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 13:03   #5
familymangreg
Premier Member

Agree the colour palettes are more than a bit grey/black/blue at the moment, I guess you'd call it the Bleak Scandi palette! Had an XC90 Momentum courtesy car in Denim Blue yesterday, thought the colour was a bit flat and boring to be honest.

:wq
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 14:10   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

Premium level car but budget level choice of colours. No greens/reds/yellow (gold) unlike XC90s of old.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 16:05   #7
whoami

I've never bought a Volvo previously (never even considered one), and loved the car, but the choice of colour was surprisingly poor.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 16:14   #8
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
Premium level car but budget level choice of colours. No greens/reds/yellow (gold) unlike XC90s of old.
Try looking at budget choices like Porsche (Macan), BMW, or Mercedes - black silver, white, grey and maybe a dark blue or two...

If I had ordered an XC60 it was going to be Fusion Red. Instead bought an Audi SQ5 in Matador red and loving it...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 17:11   #9
whoami

For anyone interested, the reply from Volvo is as follows:

"I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to choose Passion Red for your Volvo S90.

The reason the colour is not available is that the Volvo S90 is produced in China, whereas the Volvo V90 is produced in Sweden.
The factory producing the vehicle does not have the same variations and the colours with a low take rate were removed from the offer, globally."

So, now you know.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 19:32   #10
mike95

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
For anyone interested, the reply from Volvo is as follows:

"I am sorry to hear that you have been unable to choose Passion Red for your Volvo S90.

The reason the colour is not available is that the Volvo S90 is produced in China, whereas the Volvo V90 is produced in Sweden.
The factory producing the vehicle does not have the same variations and the colours with a low take rate were removed from the offer, globally."

So, now you know.
Glad my XC60 was made in Sweden or I may not have had my favourite colour which i think is stunning if i say so myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4384.jpg (301.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg InkedIMG_4453_LI.jpg (253.4 KB, 60 views)