Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

Views : 34832

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2016, 19:43   #71
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Are there any diesel engined cars being made today which do not have some sort of DPF system?

PSA chose the cerene additive system as it works independently from the car's fuelling system but Volvo seem to use a system which counter injects diesel fuel to initiate combustion in the filter chamber for regeneration. Apparently the downside of this is that excess fuel gets washed past the piston compression rings and dilutes the engine lubricating oil, which is why Volvo changed the "full" engine oil level to be only 75% of the capacity to allow for the washed back diesel to sit in the sump without over filling the oil and causing over pressuring problems. I think that's why the Volvo salesman don't want to talk about the DPF! They get very simple/stupid statement repetitive if you do try to discuss diesel dilution of the engine oil.
In answer to your first question Google search is your friend see here: http://www.dpfproblems.net/cars-without-a-dpf/

There have been several Threads on here about the problems regeneration causes with rising oil levels, a lot of them were written before you join the Forum. If you do a Google search you will find some sorry tales of woe about "regeneration" including a 4 year old Vauxhall Astra 1.9 cdti engine which blew up at 36k miles because the regeneration kept failing until the DPF became so blocked when the regeneration did eventually happen there was so much fuel put into the sump the engine wrote itself off.

I have done a bit of research on line and it would appear that the "Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil" you mentioned in your previous Post is semi or part synthetic oil specifically recommended for water cooled engines i.e. marine outboard engines. It also appears to be thinner than "normal" 2 stroke oils so when used in air cooled engines that run at a higher temperature it can cause premature wear and scuffing on the piston.

But we are talking about using 2 stroke oil in a diesel engine, if you are going to put 2 stroke oil into your diesel fuel tank then the advice is only to use 2 stroke mineral oil and to avoid any of the synthetic or semi-synthetic oils. As I said before some of the newer diesel engine have injectors that will clog up if 2 stroke oil is used, if you are in any doubt then don't use it.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 14:03   #72
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Thanks Grant for your detailed reply. I didn't realise the 2 stroke oil used in the US tests wasn't straight mineral oil. However your advice that even mineral oil might clog later types of injectors does worry me. Do you think that the injectors on my MY2012 D5 engine might be vulnerable? Since the engine is a most valuable item, I would not do anything that might compromise it. If I cannot know whether 2 stroke oil would cause damage, I would have to take your advice and steer away from it.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 20:54   #73
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Thanks Grant for your detailed reply. I didn't realise the 2 stroke oil used in the US tests wasn't straight mineral oil. However your advice that even mineral oil might clog later types of injectors does worry me. Do you think that the injectors on my MY2012 D5 engine might be vulnerable? Since the engine is a most valuable item, I would not do anything that might compromise it. If I cannot know whether 2 stroke oil would cause damage, I would have to take your advice and steer away from it.
The only way to check on whether 2 stroke oil "might" work in your engine without causing damage is to compare part numbers for the injectors and possibly other key fuel injection system parts. Also compare the injection pressures used between MY2008 and MY 2012. I do not have that information to hand and, as I said before, "if you are in any doubt then don't use it."
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 21:04   #74
bobsy852

I've had my V70 D5 since about May and I've done about 5000 miles in that time in it!
I asked the previous owner if they'd ever had any DPF issues and he said not but he drove it to Scotland/ and Northumberland a lot so covered good mileage.

I had some concerns about buying a car with a DPF as I do a short 9 mile jounrey to work every day and although I go on the motorway it's often stop start in the rush hour.

But I also do longer journeys, usually once a week or every other week where I travel an hour or so in each direction and on these drives I tend to give it a boot full every now and again before cruising around 70mph.

So far in my first 5000 miles, no issues! Fingers crossed I'm doing it right!
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 13:19   #75
steveyorks

I work in the regulation of the taxi trade and they often fail their test on dpf filters or emissions as they spend all their time tootling around town and never go on a good run. The standard time honoured fix is 2 tins of cleaner in the tank and then blasting it up and down the bypass in third gear. Seems to work well for them. The less scrupulous, particularly with Skoda Octavias, have found a garage that can programme out the dpf so it doesn't show a fault.
steveyorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2020, 05:12   #76
Dustin Steve

Hi guys, i think it might be faulty soot sensor i did some Google research and came across this blog How to fix and replace faulty bosch pm particulate matter sensor I am not sure if that applies to your case but for my car it worked, replace pm sensor and that's it jobs done.
Dustin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote