Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tell me about wiper blades

Views : 1093

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2016, 13:19   #1
MikeBJ

Default Tell me about wiper blades

Opinions please - I've found to my cost that my previous Audi was very sensitive to wiper blades - only genuine Audi did what they were supposed to do!

On other cars, I've had good results from Bosch. Halfords "own brand", on the other hand - -

Is the Volvo equally fussy? Genuine Volvo - or will Bosch give good results? I appreciate most OEM blades are quite likely actually made by Bosch, but as noted, using anything other than genuine Audi blades produced poor results.

Thanks - Mike
MikeBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 14:11   #2
taz777
VOC Member

I've just put Bosch A089S Aerotwin Flat Windscreen Wiper Blades on my S80.

Nowt better out there, in my opinion. Silky smooth rain clearance with each stroke leaving a completely clear windscreen. It's worth cleaning and polishing your windscreen prior to changing your wiper blades.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 14:37   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBJ View Post
Opinions please - I've found to my cost that my previous Audi was very sensitive to wiper blades - only genuine Audi did what they were supposed to do!

On other cars, I've had good results from Bosch. Halfords "own brand", on the other hand - -

Is the Volvo equally fussy? Genuine Volvo - or will Bosch give good results? I appreciate most OEM blades are quite likely actually made by Bosch, but as noted, using anything other than genuine Audi blades produced poor results.

Thanks - Mike
The Bosch you get in Halfords last a season , the volvo Bosch ones up to 50000 miles , 3 seasons or more . They may not be Bosch anymore but still the best value even if the price has gone up , they were £35 a pair , at that time Citroen ones were £50 + a pair . Yes always good to clean the screen and also wiper blades if smeary , there seems to be a lot of diesel fuel flying around out there on the roads !
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 15:04   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I got a new set of volvo blades for my S80 and within two months I got a strip of slightly missed water film in the centre of the drivers blade bang smack in the middle.
Got a new set from the bay which are Valeo (or something) and again perfect for a couple of months followed by the same strip of slightly missed wipe in the centre of the drivers blade....

So maybe I have to get a new arm..? The Valeo's were fine otherwise...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 16:30   #5
taz777
VOC Member

It could be dirt trapped between the blade and the windscreen. It could also be that your windscreen cleaning and polishing.

It should be silky smooth to the touch and you should be able to place a soft cloth onto it when it's dry and the cloth should slide to the bottom of the windscreen by itself.

I recommend using Autoglym Car Glass Polish to give the windscreen a really good polish. Wipe down the wiper rubber with a mild cleaner (soapy water or Windolene spray is fine).

But try the cloth test to see if the windscreen has a rough surface first as that's probably wearing your wiper blade rubber out.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 17:35   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

When "aerofoil" integral plastic sprung blades first came out, I fitted a set to a Peugeot 406 Coupe and experienced the same problem. The reason turned out to be that the standard metal blades sit much higher and so force the wiper arms further away from the screen and stretch the arm spring more and this holds the blade firmly on the screen. With the aerofoil blades the blades sit lower to the screen and the arm springs are hardly stretched so they apply little down force to the blades which are themselves sprung and the weak arm springs cannot overcome the blade spring so that the outer ends of the blade are against the glass but the centre is sprung away from the glass. The solution was to bend the arms inwards towards the windows so that the lesser blade height still pushed against the arm springs. Arms designed for aerofoil blades are sprung more fiercely to overcome the blades own springing. some 406 Coupe owners searched around breakers yards and bought aerofoil arms from other cars that worked without any bending and looked lower and neater. I hope this explanation makes sense as it is easier to show it to you for real and wave my hands about while explaining!
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 19:37   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I just bought a pair of Valeo Silencio blades from ECP and so far they are excellent.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 19:43   #8
RM955I
Premier Member

I used to buy cheap wiper blades...and now I only buy OE, Bosch or Valeo. I honestly though a wiper blade was a wiper blade but have since been convinced otherwise.

There's a Volvo offer on at the moment if you're signed-up to the My Volvo site.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post: