Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

Views : 34830

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2009, 19:07   #1
br1anuk

Default Diesel Particulate Filter DPF

I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo......

Allegedly according to him, their sales people are to under no circumstances discuss the DPF with any prospective customers unless prompted as it is well known that the cars fitted with this device are not suitable for frequent short journeys.

He then whipped round and pulled a Volkswagen leaflet off the display telling people all about how the DPF works so that if they buy a VW with it fitted they can't moan about all the hassle it causes afterwards.

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 21:27   #2
mrtrout

Mmmm, very interesting Brian.
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 14:12   #3
Rascal

Default DPF problems - How many short journey's

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
I was talking to a Volkswagen salesman today about replacing our V70.

I was giving him the old "it will only do 25mpg around town" and the DPF warning lights coming on every 2 weeks bit when he told me that his new boss in the sales department used to work for Volvo......

Allegedly according to him, their sales people are to under no circumstances discuss the DPF with any prospective customers unless prompted as it is well known that the cars fitted with this device are not suitable for frequent short journeys.

He then whipped round and pulled a Volkswagen leaflet off the display telling people all about how the DPF works so that if they buy a VW with it fitted they can't moan about all the hassle it causes afterwards.

Something to think about if your about to order any new car with a DPF fitted.

Brian.
If your DPF warning light was coming on every 2 weeks, may I ask how many short journey's you were making each day or week.

I have owned my V70 2.4D MY2008 for about 1,500 miles with mixed driving and as yet, have not even been aware of the DPF regenerating (even though it must have done by now).
With winter descending on us, I am concerned that I will not be making as many of the longer journey's as usual and I was wondering how soon the dreaded DPF Full message might appear, relative to the number of short runs.

Interestingly, I note on the Volvo website, there is now an obscure section labelled 'Diesel Technology' which points out the pitfalls of the DPF.

Is it possible to claim a refund on the grounds of 'not fit for purpose' if a sales person sells you a car with a DPF, when you have told them that you want it to nip down to the shops frequently?
It looks as if Volkswagen think you might have a case - hence the caution!

Incidentally - Are you getting another diesel with DPF?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 15:32   #4
gibboxxx

Oh dear, this has me worried. Have just taken delivery of a 2.0D SE under motability. The car is mainly used for a short run (3 miles) to the train station and back weekdays amongst other local shortish jouneys. We do generally have a motorway journey at the weekend (30 miles). Does this driving profile mean we will have constant problems with the DPF? Last thing we need is to make constant trips to the dealer.....
gibboxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 15:48   #5
John_C
Allons-y!

The weekend motorway trip should allow the DPF to regenerate, so fingers crossed you won't have an issue.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 17:41   #6
T5R+
V70 Fan

May I ask why people who only undertake short jorneys - let us say upto 8miles, buy diesels?

PS my commute is 28miles thus have diesels.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 19:12   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Has it got a particle filter? Unlikely as this option seems to be taken less and less now .
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 19:21   #8
gibboxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R+ View Post
May I ask why people who only undertake short jorneys - let us say upto 8miles, buy diesels?

PS my commute is 28miles thus have diesels.
Yep - you may. The motability scheme is offering the V70 (2.0D SE only) at a considerable discount compared to other V70 petrol/diesel variants or any other manufacturer for the size of car
gibboxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2009, 23:39   #9
Dazzlev70r

I had my car off motability and gladly been returned

Now I accept diesels are bought maily for long journeys but cant see anywhere on any tin that they should be bought for this reason
In fact I would argue that a diesel engine is better on short journeys than a petrol one from a mechanical point of view not a financial one obviously

Diesels have much better torque for a start and may i point out that London taxi cabs are all diesel and normaly only do short trips

All cars petrol or otherwise benefit from a blast up the motorways but they should all still behave in town
Were not on about ferraris here but family saloons lol

But dont worry too much honestly my car lasted for 3 months doing a mile a day in morning and again in afternoon and this problem didnt show itself
It can if you read the forum also be turned off
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 19:26   #10
T5R+
V70 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibboxxx View Post
Yep - you may. The motability scheme is offering the V70 (2.0D SE only) at a considerable discount compared to other V70 petrol/diesel variants or any other manufacturer for the size of car
This makes sense - never thought of this.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R+ For This Useful Post: