Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

M30 + B20 in a 145 - unusual?

Views : 1782

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 19:45   #1
AidanC

Default M30 + B20 in a 145 - unusual?

Hi,

A breakers yard near me is having an enforced clearout. I heard of a 145 there that was about to be crushed and went to have a look. It turned out that the car itself was beyond redemption but it still had full mechanicals so I took the engine and gearbox.

When I got home and had a closer look it turned out that the engine is a B20 (presumably a B20A as its got a single stromberg) but the gearbox is an M30....

Was the M30 fitted as standard to any 145 cars or is this something that a previous owner cobbled together? Just curious really...

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Aidan
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 06:45   #2
laptoprob

Default M30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanC View Post
Hi,

A breakers yard near me is having an enforced clearout. I heard of a 145 there that was about to be crushed and went to have a look. It turned out that the car itself was beyond redemption but it still had full mechanicals so I took the engine and gearbox.

When I got home and had a closer look it turned out that the engine is a B20 (presumably a B20A as its got a single stromberg) but the gearbox is an M30....

Was the M30 fitted as standard to any 145 cars or is this something that a previous owner cobbled together? Just curious really...

Thanks in advance for any insights,

Aidan
No, the M30 is an older type 3-speed gearbox. The B20A is a single carburettor engine, like all B20's was fitted with an M40 4-speed. M41 with overdrive was an option (though sometimes standard).
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:34   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Last use of the M30 on a factory car was on the Amazon Favorit. Mainly Danish market, I think they down spec'd the car to a price to get it into a lower car tax bracket. This was in the 1967 model range. Also an idea that they wanted something about the same price as the PV which had just stopped production and was cheaper than the Amazon.
If it really is an M30, I can't think of any reason for it being there or where they found it!
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 14:00   #4
AidanC

It's intriguing really - unfortunately the car had been 'stored' on its roof and had more or less collapsed so it was hard to get an idea of what the rest of it was like or if it too had been modified.

The box is stamped 'M30' and looks surprisingly unworn - all the cogs are in very good condition and the oil is clear and green - I'd have expected the usual neglected ooze. Its fitted with the usual long reach change required for the 140 series.

All that I can surmise is that the PO had a dead PV or early Amazon lying around that was used for parts. The shame of it is that the yard owner said that the 145 was driven in to the yard at a time when it was considered worthless but was still a relatively good car and then time took its toll.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 14:32   #5
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
...Amazon Favorit. Mainly Danish market, I think they down spec'd the car to a price to get it into a lower car tax bracket. This was in the 1967 model range. Also an idea that they wanted something about the same price as the PV which had just stopped production and was cheaper than the Amazon.
They where sold on many markets - even the Swedish (Favorit) - Denmark (Quick), France, Netherlands, Belgium (13131) etc.
(And BTW: The PV 544 was available as a Favorit/Quick model too..)

Came as an option in the 1966 yearmodel - was exactly the same as a standard Amazon, but lacked:
- passenger sun-visor,
- door-pockets,
- rear sidewindows couldn't open,
- trim/mold around front and rear screen,
- cigarettelighter,
- tools other than the jack and the tool for the hubcaps/wheelnuts
- vinyl trim around parcelshelf etc.
- and was only availble in a few ext. colours with a redish interior.
Always 2-door, B18A-engine - M30 (3 speed gearbox)

The Favorit/Quick theme was about reducing price - in homeland to gain market/provide a Volvo for the not-so rich - in Denmark/Netherlands to reduce the taxation etc.

And no..
There has never been a 140 Favorit or anything like it - The idea didn't really catch (to sell a shaved version of a "luxery" car).

The M30 in a 140 .. hmm.. before throwing away the story - do you think you could be so kind to try seek the vehicles type-plate?
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 18:53   #6
AidanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVolvoShop View Post

The M30 in a 140 .. hmm.. before throwing away the story - do you think you could be so kind to try seek the vehicles type-plate?
As far as I know, the car was crushed after I took the engine/gearbox - it was dragged out onto a pathway in the yard so that they could get the engine/gearbox out and it was only in the way after that. I only ever saw the car upside down and the roof had collapsed so it didn't have any distinguishing features that I could spot. I should have thought to get the type plate but assumed all along that it was an M40 - it was only when I got home and had a proper look that I realised that it was an M30.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 19:12   #7
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Any idea of (precise) yearmodel? You say it was a 145 - was it for sure a 145 with back seat/rear seats?

I have nothing to it (at least not yet) - I just wonder if there COULD be some form of a "shaved version" for specific market or use.

(Taxi's/Police cars/special orders etc. all have very special features not always completely documented in spare parts catalogues).

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Apr 6th, 2010 at 19:16.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 20:03   #8
AidanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVolvoShop View Post
Any idea of (precise) yearmodel? You say it was a 145 - was it for sure a 145 with back seat/rear seats?

I have nothing to it (at least not yet) - I just wonder if there COULD be some form of a "shaved version" for specific market or use.

(Taxi's/Police cars/special orders etc. all have very special features not always completely documented in spare parts catalogues).

I really regret not looking harder at the car - the main problem was that the car was on its roof in a bog - not the kind of place that you can get down on your hands and knees. The roof had collapsed also...

Here's a (not very clear) photo of the car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrawb/4377320162/sizes/o/

It was definitely an estate as it had a flat back - I've no idea about the interior. It had one round headlight remaining with chrome surround. The car had no door mounted wing mirrors (I was looking for the mounting plate) and was left hand drive judging by the position of the steering box. The only other thing that I know about it was that it had a cable operated clutch. Its hard to tell from the photo but it seems to have the recessed door handle (did the 140 models ever have the earlier type door handles like the 164?)

Sorry to know so little about it - I was guiding the engine + gearbox into the boot of my 245 so I was distracted

Edit: screw held hub caps and recessed door handles? There was no radiator grill left but the headlight chrome surround was attached to the headlamp or part of the same assembly in some way and didn't appear to have been part of the grill.

Last edited by AidanC; Apr 6th, 2010 at 20:14. Reason: More details...
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 20:29   #9
john h
VOC Member

Interesting. Perhaps some weird economy "van" version? E.g. postal or utilities spec car? On balance it still seems more likely that a previous owner had a gearbox fail and threw in an m30 they had in the shed.

Is the m30 casing different to an m40? If they are the same, check whether it actually has 3 or 4 speeds - could be a rebuilt box using an old casing. But that still seems pretty unliklely... as do all the explanations!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 21:26   #10
AidanC

The casings appear to have the same external dimensions - my M40 is very grimy so I can't check for more subtle differences. I had a look inside the M30 box and it does appear to be missing fourth gear. From what I can see, the first and final ratios are the same for the M30 & M40 with differences in the intermediate gears. It could be that the extra torque of the B20 was more forgiving of the three speed than, say, a B18