Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1972 pv1800es

Views : 61153

Replies : 255

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2021, 12:09   #131
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect it was removed while being restored and wasn't found while refitting things so was forgotten about - a bit like the headlight earths!

Hopefully as simple as that, fingers crossed anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
Or removed because of a tight or noisey cable?
We may never know chaps - but if anything comes to light I'll report it of course :-)

Alan
Old May 19th, 2021, 12:14   #132
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
LS;

That is a length of speedometer drive cable...a Bowden Cable is push/pull cable used for transferring control or actuation force, and something quite different...picky, picky, picky...

The Speedometer right angle drive was added to models with OD so the cable could depart the drive pointing forward...in non-OD cars, cable departed straight, and just made a gentle arc, but in OD equipped cars, that would have put the departure further to the rear and made it necessitate a much longer cable, so they just added the right angle drive (which does cost more than simply increasing the length of the cable, I'm sure)...but from memory, it does get the cable further away from the exhaust system (I believe without the right angle drive, the cable runs right over the front muffler and gets cooked), so maybe that was a contributing factor for the change...

Cheers
... maybe you are right, but when I looked at it I couldn't help thinking how Saabesque (not a compliment) an engineering solution it was (compared with extending the cable a bit and routing it via a gentle arc).

:-)
Old May 19th, 2021, 13:18   #133
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
LS;

That is a length of speedometer drive cable...a Bowden Cable is push/pull cable used for transferring control or actuation force, and something quite different...picky, picky, picky...
Sorry Ron, if you're going to be picky, picky, picky................

"The potential of the Bowden cable and associated brake was not to be fully realised until the free-wheel sprocket became a standard feature of bicycles, over the period 1899-1901, and increasing numbers of applications were found for it, such as gear change mechanisms. Importantly in 1903, Hendee developed the twist-grip throttle using a similar cable for his 'Indian' motorcycles. Its lightness and flexibility recommended it to further automotive use such as clutch and speedometer drive cables. "

That comes from the second paragraph of the section entitled "History" from this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_cable

As such, here in the UK (can't comment on the USA as there are myriad different terms for automtive parts alone and we won't even mention "fanny packs"!) speedo drive cables are generally referred to as Bowden cables. Also while at school and first "officially" introduced to Bowden cables, they were described as being a flexible drive shaft with a secondary use as push-pull cables such as those for brakes. Looking at the history i can see both would apply and also how they were likely to have become more popularly known as speedo cables in the UK as opposed to any type of cable that transmits motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... maybe you are right, but when I looked at it I couldn't help thinking how Saabesque (not a compliment) an engineering solution it was (compared with extending the cable a bit and routing it via a gentle arc).

Also very Triumphesque Alan, they used similar on the GT6, Spitfire etc when OD gearboxes were fitted, usually Laycock units similar to what Volvo used. The right-angle drive units suffered failure in Triumphs causing dead speedos and given the appearance of that one i'd say it would be reasonable to suspect and maybe even assume it's the same or a very similar unit.

The idea is exactly as Ron suggests, to reduce the arc in the speedo cable due to going further to the back of the OD unit.

*** EDIT *** Just had a quick look on fleabay and found this, certainly similar in appearance :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202260280230

None listed for Volvo that i could find but these other options came up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+speedo+drive

Might be worth checking the angle drive actually functions and investigating the most likely replacement if not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; May 19th, 2021 at 13:31.
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 16:21   #134
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry Ron, if you're going to be picky, picky, picky................

"The potential of the Bowden cable and associated brake was not to be fully realised until the free-wheel sprocket became a standard feature of bicycles, over the period 1899-1901, and increasing numbers of applications were found for it, such as gear change mechanisms. Importantly in 1903, Hendee developed the twist-grip throttle using a similar cable for his 'Indian' motorcycles. Its lightness and flexibility recommended it to further automotive use such as clutch and speedometer drive cables. "

That comes from the second paragraph of the section entitled "History" from this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_cable

As such, here in the UK (can't comment on the USA as there are myriad different terms for automtive parts alone and we won't even mention "fanny packs"!) speedo drive cables are generally referred to as Bowden cables. Also while at school and first "officially" introduced to Bowden cables, they were described as being a flexible drive shaft with a secondary use as push-pull cables such as those for brakes. Looking at the history i can see both would apply and also how they were likely to have become more popularly known as speedo cables in the UK as opposed to any type of cable that transmits motion.

Also very Triumphesque Alan, they used similar on the GT6, Spitfire etc when OD gearboxes were fitted, usually Laycock units similar to what Volvo used. The right-angle drive units suffered failure in Triumphs causing dead speedos and given the appearance of that one i'd say it would be reasonable to suspect and maybe even assume it's the same or a very similar unit.

The idea is exactly as Ron suggests, to reduce the arc in the speedo cable due to going further to the back of the OD unit.

*** EDIT *** Just had a quick look on fleabay and found this, certainly similar in appearance :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202260280230

None listed for Volvo that i could find but these other options came up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...e+speedo+drive

Might be worth checking the angle drive actually functions and investigating the most likely replacement if not.
I'm a little bit ahead of you there Dave, Brookhouse Parts sells a 'reproduction speedo cable angle drive' (part # 666756) for £47.94.

I'll check out the 'speedo drive pin' (the Bowden cable bit) for £4.44 first though.

Old May 20th, 2021, 09:27   #135
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

... I was just thinking about this during Bobwalkin this morn. I should have checked when I had the drive off last week, but all I need to do is stick a small screwdriver (Bowden cable size) in the gearbox end and give it a turn - make sure the other end spins.

...I don't know why I didn't do that last week!
Old May 24th, 2021, 06:03   #136
Othen
Premier Member

Default Next Phase...

I'll probably get Delores back to work on for a few days towards the end of this week ('Janet' says some parts have arrived), so I'm starting to turn my thoughts towards what I'll do this week:

a. Take the speedo right angled drive off: see if the dinky Bowden cable thing is broken and if the unit turns. If not try connecting the cable direct into the gearbox as Paul did above (I don't think as a permanent solution, but to prove the rest of the system).

b. Check the impedance of the fuel gauge from the sender wire (should be 58 ohms plus a bit for the return cct), if that looks okay then ground out the sender wire via a 20 ohm resistor to replicate the sender mechanism and see if the gauge registers full.... if it does pull the sender unit out and see if it is stuck.

c. Fit the new rubber washer under the oil filler cap and see if it stops that pesky oil leak... also give the engine a good clean with Gunk and the pressure washer top and bottom. If the oil leak is fixed change the oil to 20W50 mineral.

d. Have a go at taking the exhaust apart and re-aligning it. This will be a cheap win if it works... if not 'Janet' may well have to stump up for a new exhaust :-).

e. Fix both door handles and the driver's side window winder (new handles and omega clips have arrived).

If all that goes well I may treat myself to a beer at the weekend :-)

PS. One more thing: Delores doesn't have any wing mirrors fitted - which looks marvellous but isn't safe on the road. 'Janet' has obtained some - but I'm very scared of drilling holes in the beautiful doors to fit them. I may need that beer before I pluck up enough courage!

Last edited by Othen; May 24th, 2021 at 07:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 08:33   #137
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Morning, Alan; apropos door (wing) mirrors. Many years ago, clip-on mirrors were available, thus avoiding the need for any drilling - are they still? I recall having some on an early 144 that was not fitted with either door or wing mirrors.

They might be an acceptable compromise.

Regards, John.
Old May 24th, 2021, 10:15   #138
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'll probably get Delores back to work on for a few days towards the end of this week ('Janet' says some parts have arrived), so I'm starting to turn my thoughts towards what I'll do this week:

a. Take the speedo right angled drive off: see if the dinky Bowden cable thing is broken and if the unit turns. If not try connecting the cable direct into the gearbox as Paul did above (I don't think as a permanent solution, but to prove the rest of the system).

b. Check the impedance of the fuel gauge from the sender wire (should be 58 ohms plus a bit for the return cct), if that looks okay then ground out the sender wire via a 20 ohm resistor to replicate the sender mechanism and see if the gauge registers full.... if it does pull the sender unit out and see if it is stuck.

c. Fit the new rubber washer under the oil filler cap and see if it stops that pesky oil leak... also give the engine a good clean with Gunk and the pressure washer top and bottom. If the oil leak is fixed change the oil to 20W50 mineral.

d. Have a go at taking the exhaust apart and re-aligning it. This will be a cheap win if it works... if not 'Janet' may well have to stump up for a new exhaust :-).

e. Fix both door handles and the driver's side window winder (new handles and omega clips have arrived).

If all that goes well I may treat myself to a beer at the weekend :-)

PS. One more thing: Delores doesn't have any wing mirrors fitted - which looks marvellous but isn't safe on the road. 'Janet' has obtained some - but I'm very scared of drilling holes in the beautiful doors to fit them. I may need that beer before I pluck up enough courage!
Sounds like you've tasked yourself with several fiddly jobs there Alan! Not sure if it's any help but i've linked to clamp-on mirrors below.

Are the mirrors "Janet" has obtained for door or wing fitting? Some are suitable for both but generally the wing fitting ones have a single hole and a large nut on the underside.
Wing mirrors would be nice but not as convenient to use as door mirrors although the former would be more "period" than the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Morning, Alan; apropos door (wing) mirrors. Many years ago, clip-on mirrors were available, thus avoiding the need for any drilling - are they still? I recall having some on an early 144 that was not fitted with either door or wing mirrors.

They might be an acceptable compromise.

Regards, John.
https://www.europaspares.com/quarter...r-picture.html

Are those the ones you're thinking of John?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:26   #139
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Sounds like you've tasked yourself with several fiddly jobs there Alan! Not sure if it's any help but i've linked to clamp-on mirrors below.

Are the mirrors "Janet" has obtained for door or wing fitting? Some are suitable for both but generally the wing fitting ones have a single hole and a large nut on the underside.
Wing mirrors would be nice but not as convenient to use as door mirrors although the former would be more "period" than the latter.

https://www.europaspares.com/quarter...r-picture.html

Are those the ones you're thinking of John?
The very same. They've gone up a bit, though!! J.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:29   #140
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
The very same. They've gone up a bit, though!! J.
I remember seeing them for about £7-8 many moons ago (and that was in an overpriced place) and hoped they'd still be in the same price bracket John.

I hope whatever mirrors Alan has got (from "Janet") to fit on Dolores suit the car well, i've always liked the chrome "bullet" style mirrors like these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152818859685

On the last Skyline i had, the original mirrors were very similar to what was fitted to Allegros and similar in the late 70s, the pedestal mount rectangular efforts and always planned on changing to those bullet style mirrors - never happened though.