Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2002 V70 owner

Views : 354

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:32   #1
themule

Default New 2002 V70 owner

Hello all, I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I picked up a 2002 2.4 V70 yesterday for £750. Mileage is 178k and it is an auto. It's the first Volvo I have owned. It's not perfect, the rear drivers side door has a dent, there is a bit of rust on a couple of arches but mechanically it seems fine and it has been well serviced. One issue I discovered on the way home is that the indicators blink very fast and an indicator bulb warning comes up - I guess that might be a bad contact somewhere. Also the high beam headlights come on when you pull the stalk back but it doesn't stick on - maybe I am missing something. Other than that it is mega comfy and easy to drive. The reason I got it is my main car is an RS Megane, which isnt that practical and I wanted something to shift stuff for a few projects we are doing this summer and use in bad weather this winter.
What are people's thoughts on getting wheel arch rust sorted? Any ideas on costs? I am in 2 minds on changing auto box oil, don't think it has ever been done but it shifts fine for an old style auto - seem to be different opinions on that.
Andy
themule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 08:40   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Headlights need to be 'on' for the flasher to stick on. That's literally the only difference I can find between on and off on the headlights. The lights are on either way. Sidelight setting is the only option where headlights are off be be aware they stay on when car switched off and you'll get a flat battery. (Parking lights)

Indicator might need a new lamp holder, mine did and the front ones are a bit of a pain to replace be ready to scratch your hand up doing it lol mind you I have pretty big hands

Changing 'box fluid very very easy, plenty of threads on here discussing it, I will add some links later

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 8th, 2021 at 10:06.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 10:03   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

gearbox fluid
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303081766587

additive
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122680285440

get it warm, drop the fluid from gearbox (probably dark brown), measure accurately what comes out. put same back in allowing for additive if preferred

use a funnel with a long nozzle to reach down to the gearbox dipstick hole because that's where you fill it up

drive till warm, park flat, test fluid level.

do again 300miles later

do again 300miles later

replace compresser washer on oil bolt (I only did that on the last fill but as it turned out they came in a pack of 6 anyway)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173642215006

repeat as many times as you can be bothered / until it's coming out clean

reset gearbox oil counter using VIDA (pay someone to do it, or buy VIDA if you're planning to keep the car a while, it's somewhere aroound £100-£130 or so IIRC but well worth it)

also.. welcome sorry didnt mean to be rude was just in a rush

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 8th, 2021 at 10:07.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 13:07   #4
themule

Thanks for that. Seems like an easy enough job.
themule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 21:42   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it definitely is, I think the 'debate' about it is usually centred around the different methods of changing the fluid

the one described above is pretty gentle on the box and doesn't sort of 'shock' the system. some people talk about power flushing, or what IIRC was called the gibbon method (?) something about having the engine running and using the pump in the box to circulate old and fresh oil.. just avoid all that nonsense, if nothing else it's more complicated anyway

drain out the sump. fill it up again, it's about 3ltrs per go so the 10ltr tub does 3 changes with well more than enough spare to allow for any accidental spills or top ups

as for the wheel arch rust.. same as with any car really, various levels of repair available depending how long you want to keep the car and bothered you are about perfection (Assuming you mean cosmetically on the outside?) any rust near suspension or subframe mountings etc should be checked out properly obviously

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 8th, 2021 at 21:48.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 21:52   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

one other little tip which doesnt really give you specific info but can be an indicator of problems..

on the left stalk you have the button on the end. hold than in and turn your fogs on and off again. the little message screen then lets you cycle through all the modules and says 'set' if there is a fault

anything on CEM, UEM, TCM might be problematic

that's when you hook up VIDA for more info

mini project - link