Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Diesel - Power system service urgent

Views : 17255

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 23:06   #1
milese

Default V50 Diesel - Power system service urgent

I've got a 2006 V50 Diesel, with 116k.

Just had a warning light on the dash "power system service urgent" along with the battery picture.

It came on about a mile into my journey, stayed on, then when I left for home it came on after about a mile (driving with fans and radio off) , but went off about 2 miles later, and stayed off for the remaining 2 miles til I got home.

Just checked the voltages and get:

engine off 12.33 v
engine running, nothing on 12.44v
engine running air con on max 11.79v

Whilst doing these tests I dont think the light came on the dash.

The belt on the alt looks fine, well, it is there and going around.

Does this sound like an alternator? Any common other problems? Advice, things to check etc?

Many thanks in advance!
milese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 23:45   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

it seems your alternator is not charging , you should have over 14v when the engine is running .
the 120 Amp alternator is most troublesome and is superceeded to the 150 Amp one , it will need software if this is the case to tell the car it has a 150 A alternator ..
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 23:54   #3
milese

Thanks for reply.

I just had a look and it is a "Denso 104210 150A R67CC", so already has the 150A version.

Have I done enough to have diagnosed a faulty alternator, and can proceed to buy a replacement and swap it? Anything I should check first before I start replacing it?

Also, if I drive it without anything on (12.44v), will that be ok? Few 8 mile journeys to work, pick up an alternator etc?
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 00:15   #4
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

You can get the 150 amp alternator from eurocarparts for about a 3rd of what Volvo want and it's the exact same denso unit FYI.

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 00:22   #5
milese

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S40-...item2a12aa3f31

Will try and use this against my local place!

http://www.startermotor-alternator-s...815-1257-p.asp
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 19:14   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milese View Post
Thanks for reply.

I just had a look and it is a "Denso 104210 150A R67CC", so already has the 150A version.

Have I done enough to have diagnosed a faulty alternator, and can proceed to buy a replacement and swap it? Anything I should check first before I start replacing it?

Also, if I drive it without anything on (12.44v), will that be ok? Few 8 mile journeys to work, pick up an alternator etc?
yes you have done enough it seems , you can drive it but you must charge the battery at home as much as possible , there is quite a drain from the electrics when driving .. the powersteering pump takes a lot of current for example .
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 20:59   #7
milese

Just had another look and its charging at around 14v at idle with nothing on.

As soon as you load it with aircon etc it goes down to just over 12v.

So it is charging some, but not as much as it should.

Does that still point to the alternator?

Annoyingly the wife got a puncture earlier in a good as new dunlop sport tyre and proceeded to drive home so thats a new tyre to add to the bill, then my tooth fell in half and will need a crown so thats another couple of hundred on the bill - all in all a costly day.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 21:25   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milese View Post
Just had another look and its charging at around 14v at idle with nothing on.

As soon as you load it with aircon etc it goes down to just over 12v.

So it is charging some, but not as much as it should.

Does that still point to the alternator?

Annoyingly the wife got a puncture earlier in a good as new dunlop sport tyre and proceeded to drive home so thats a new tyre to add to the bill, then my tooth fell in half and will need a crown so thats another couple of hundred on the bill - all in all a costly day.
yes the alternator should compensate for the extra load to within 0.2 v or sso . try increasing idle a bit and see if it does this .
Bad luck today :-(
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 15:10   #9
robgriff

Default Rob Griffiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it seems your alternator is not charging , you should have over 14v when the engine is running .
the 120 Amp alternator is most troublesome and is superceeded to the 150 Amp one , it will need software if this is the case to tell the car it has a 150 A alternator ..
Hi, I have removed a faulty alternator from my V50 2009 2.0D R-design. I cannot see any markings at all on it apart from a stamped number (GAA0116Y003). Do you have any advice as to whether this would be a 120A or 150A alternator? your help would be gratefully received
robgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 17:08   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgriff View Post
Hi, I have removed a faulty alternator from my V50 2009 2.0D R-design. I cannot see any markings at all on it apart from a stamped number (GAA0116Y003). Do you have any advice as to whether this would be a 120A or 150A alternator? your help would be gratefully received
It seems you have a non volvo alternator on there , just go for the 150A .. your dealer will look up the car factory details to tell you what it had as standard