Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Faults Everywhere

Views : 3140

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 14:57   #11
imz

but the steel pipes going to the DPF should also be changed as they can get restricted inside .
They can read out the pressure from their equipment . the vital reading is 0 pressure when engine off and ignition on have they tried this ?

Hi Clan, I have the Vida/Dice, could you please advise me how I can check this?

Thanking you
imz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 18:17   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz View Post
but the steel pipes going to the DPF should also be changed as they can get restricted inside .
They can read out the pressure from their equipment . the vital reading is 0 pressure when engine off and ignition on have they tried this ?

Hi Clan, I have the Vida/Dice, could you please advise me how I can check this?

Thanking you
You just have to look at teh ECU parameters in vehicle communication .. Particle filter pressure sensor output .
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 21:31   #13
imz

[QUOTE=imz;1245646]but the steel pipes going to the DPF should also be changed as they can get restricted inside .

Hi Clan, I have tried this and when the engine was off but ignition was on the reading was consistently zero.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what does this mean?

Thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 21:56   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=imz;1246710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imz View Post

Hi Clan, I have tried this and when the engine was off but ignition was on the reading was consistently zero.

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what does this mean?

Thanks.
It is good , it means there is a good chance the sensor is working , as there will be zero pressure in the system when the engine is not running .
You can verify by running the engine and seeing if pressure increases with RPM ..
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 11:59   #15
Doveaboy

Mate, I'm sure you are protected by the Sale of Goods Act. Case law has found that a fault that develops within six months of purchase is deemed to have existed when the car was sold. You have to give them the chance to fix it but if they refuse you can pay for it elsewhere and then take them to Small Claims Court to recoup. You will win and they will know that. I hope it's okay with the mods to recommend another website but look up www.honestjohn.co.uk and you will find chapter and verse on what to do. I've often used mention of Sale of Goods Act when sales chaps try to flog me a warranty. The car comes with six months protection through it anyway, unless it's more than six years old which I believe is when the protection becomes less watertight. Don't let the buggers rip you off.
Doveaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:25   #16
imz

Next question to all you helpful chaps can timing (onthe timing belt) be checked using vida/dice???

Thanking you.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:51   #17
S40 Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralCord View Post
Hi guys,

After having my S40 for 2 months (Volvo Approved Used), on Sunday night it nicely told me an "Engine System Service" was required.
I dropped it off with Volvo in Leeds, who diagnosed it as a faulty DPF Pressure sensor and that it wasn't covered by my warranty. After contacting Volvo Warranty (who are utterly useless and made me realise the warranty on my car is equally as pathetic) and the service department at Volvo Bradford, I rang Trading Standards about this. I was told that I should go back to the dealer who sold me the car (Volvo Bradford) and that they are liable for selling me a car that is not of satisfactory quality - after-all, a sensor is a completely passive device with no moving parts so any failure is a problem with manufacturing.

After talking with the owner of the dealership (Bradford), and being told that I shouldn't have gone to Trading Standards (the cheek!) I faxed over a copy of the diagnostic report from Leeds Volvo and later heard back that Bradford are willing to contribute 50% of the total cost (est. £614 in total). For something which, after some Googling, seems to be a common fault, I am still pretty shocked by this! Especially considering I've only owned the car for 2 months and it's already had 2 bearings replaced.

I took it to Bradford yesterday for them to diagnose it themselves (why isn't a diagnostic from another Volvo dealer enough? Surely they're all trained Volvo techs?). They put a new sensor on - came up with the fault.
They put my sensor back on - came up with the fault.
Updated the ECM software - claimed it didn't come up with the fault and that they were able to wipe it from memory, but it flagged it the second I got in the car on their forecourt!

I was wondering if anyone else has got Volvo or their dealer to pay for this fault? As far as I've been advised they're completely liable and any mention of their liability comes back with an off-hand comment about how "you really don't need remind me of our obligations".

For the techies out there, the VIDA codes read by Volvo Leeds are:
ECM2454 - Pressure sensor particulate trap sensor signal too low
ECM2002 - Particulate trap faulty signal
ECM2452 - Pressure sensor particulate trap faulty signal
Strange. I heard Clive Brook volvo (bradford) were good. However, regarding Leeds volvo I will give you the best piece of advice i can - stay away!

They cost me £800 for service, cambelt, tyres and then asked if I wanted to spend another £200 as the brakes had slight wear. After discovering they had driven 10 miles in my car (not needed for a roadtest - did they do the butty run in it??) I spat the dummy and went elsewhere. Their service is also poor, especially as I spend £1,000+ per year servicing 3 volvos.

I now use Ray Chapman (as do a lot of leeds customers I believe). Exemplary service and worth driving the extra 25 miles every time.

Hope you get your car sorted.
S40 Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 22:28   #18
ManfromMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40 Squared View Post
I heard Clive Brook volvo (bradford) were good. However, regarding Leeds volvo I will give you the best piece of advice i can - stay away!

I now use Ray Chapman (as do a lot of leeds customers I believe). Exemplary service and worth driving the extra 25 miles every time.

Hope you get your car sorted.
Interesting about Volvo Dealers, Over the last 20 years, I have tried very hard to buy a car from Huddersfield Volvo, which is where I live. But I've bought them, (nearly new) from Lex (Leeds), Riverside (York) Mount (Bradford), Mount (Independant, Halifax) & Clive Brook (Bradford). I've always tried hard to buy from H*****s, but they really don't seem interested.
Last purchase was 34% off list with 7000 miles which until someone tells me differently, seemed good to me.
ManfromMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 23:03   #19
S40 Squared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfromMars View Post
Interesting about Volvo Dealers, Over the last 20 years, I have tried very hard to buy a car from Huddersfield Volvo, which is where I live. But I've bought them, (nearly new) from Lex (Leeds), Riverside (York) Mount (Bradford), Mount (Independant, Halifax) & Clive Brook (Bradford). I've always tried hard to buy from H*****s, but they really don't seem interested.
Last purchase was 34% off list with 7000 miles which until someone tells me differently, seemed good to me.
Does seem a good deal. We choose the model and spec and then search online. So far we have had two S80's from Stockport, one from Dundee, one S40 from Stoke on Trent and one S40 from Crewe. All have done decent deals. Always buy nearly new - save the most £ or get a deal like you did.

Servicing is where I want to be well treated. I am paying them enough, so a little thankyou from them is what I expect rather than "do you want to spend even more money". I never walked away from my local dealer feeling like a valued customer, so that's why I go elsewhere. Its a customers market!
S40 Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 21:46   #20
Carbonman

Thumbs up DPF pressure sensor and modified pipes

Hi folks,

I am new to the forum but came here needing help which I found. I have a mates S40 2.0D with what was a intermittent limp home mode.

After having the ECU codes read I had the same codes:

ECM2454 - Pressure sensor particulate trap sensor signal too low
ECM2002 - Particulate trap faulty signal
ECM2452 - Pressure sensor particulate trap faulty signal

All these point to the DPF pressure sensor being faulty. I went to my local Volvo dealer (cheaper than Ford) for price and availability of the sensor
volvo part number is 30757189 for the sensor. as advised earlier. Parts dept advised that Volvo list a modified pipe for this car (part no: 30750461) and that they will supply them, but if the pipes are not required then I could return them. So I came away with both parts in hand.

I fitted the sensor which is as advised is located on the side of the battery box. I took it for a test drive and initially it was still in limp home mode. I stop during the drive and restarted, this time it was all working fine revving past the 2800rpm. Drove for a while longer and it returned to limp home mode. A bit freaked that I had replaced the sensor and it worked only for a short time.

Just been back at the car today and had a good look under the car. The problem is the hose attached to the metal pipe just before the DPF filter is blown wide open see the second attachment.

I cant tell the where the modification is on the pipes but they were needed anyway. Regardless, changing the pipes is fiddly but still fairly easy to do. I used car ramps to have full access to the DPF filter and the route it follows up the bulkhead to the sensor. It is mounted on the upside of the floor pan by a ribbed screw type pin. I eased it of with a long lever.Unclip it from the plastic clip just down from the sensor. The pipe does not come down the way it has to be pulled up the side of the battery box pull it up and twist it through the gap (thats the fiddly part).

I took the car for a second test drive but again it was still in limp home mode, I kept driving for a few miles, stopped the car, restarted and it revved fully through to above 3700rpm.

Moral of this story is I should have checked the full length of the pipes especially down at the DPF filter which is just about middle of the car. Maybe it did not need the sensor, just the pipes, but my mates just happy to have his car back running again.

I don`t know if this will help anyone else but I thought I would share it since I learned from this forum, where to start.

Good Luck with your own car should you need to do it. Don`t be frightened to tackle it yourself, it can be done with basic knowledge a pair of pliers and a long lever.

Price for parts:

Modified pipes £107.40 inc vat

Sensor £93.60 inc vat £201 total
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-16 19.26.11 - Copy.jpg (301.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07-16 19.27.14 - Copy.jpg (284.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-07-16 19.26.45 - Copy.jpg (288.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Carbonman; Jul 16th, 2014 at 21:48. Reason: added parts prices
Carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote