Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Diesel - Power system service urgent

Views : 17323

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 18:47   #11
milese

Right, I was going to change the alternator, but since I last posted the light hasn't come on again, no matter what load you put on it, and I havent really had the time to fit a replacement anyway.

The voltages are still the same really, so I think I am kidding myself if I think I'll be able to avoid replacing it......

But today it developed a squeal when turning sharp right. Does sound like a belt slip or similar.

I know the PAS motor and Alt are close together, and that people have mentioned having problems with both.

Any thoughts? Do they share a belt? Could I be lucky enough to just have a belt problem or are the lack of volts upsetting the PAS motor?

Also, where is the PAS fluid reservoir?!

I did order a haynes but its not arrived yet!

Thanks for all the help.
milese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 15:19   #12
milese

Just changed the alternator for a brand new Denso unit (£130 + Vat).

Now running at 14.5v without anything on and 14.35v with EVERYTHING on.

Quite a straightforward job, only pain was getting the alt belt back on. Managed to do it all from the top.
milese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 22:07   #13
rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by milese View Post
Just changed the alternator for a brand new Denso unit (£130 + Vat).

Now running at 14.5v without anything on and 14.35v with EVERYTHING on.

Quite a straightforward job, only pain was getting the alt belt back on. Managed to do it all from the top.
Hi just read about your problem,which i am having now ,and would be interested to know if the new alternator has sorted it out.
Regards paul
rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 14:06   #14
rosebud

Alternator changed and this seems to have done the trick,thanks
rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 14:10   #15
robgriff

Default Rob Griffiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it seems your alternator is not charging , you should have over 14v when the engine is running .
the 120 Amp alternator is most troublesome and is superceeded to the 150 Amp one , it will need software if this is the case to tell the car it has a 150 A alternator ..
Hi, I have removed a faulty alternator from my V50 2009 2.0D R-design. I cannot see any markings at all on it apart from a stamped number (GAA0116Y003). Do you have any advice as to whether this would be a 120A or 150A alternator? your help would be gratefully received
robgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 16:08   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgriff View Post
Hi, I have removed a faulty alternator from my V50 2009 2.0D R-design. I cannot see any markings at all on it apart from a stamped number (GAA0116Y003). Do you have any advice as to whether this would be a 120A or 150A alternator? your help would be gratefully received
It seems you have a non volvo alternator on there , just go for the 150A .. your dealer will look up the car factory details to tell you what it had as standard