Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

b16 engine overhaul

Views : 16444

Replies : 148

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 22:20   #31
blueosprey90
Master Member

At least in the United States, a machine shop will order and install the hardened seats as part of the valve job. They have their suppliers.

They will also resurface the valves, pretty much as a matter of course.

On both the seat and the valve, they will usually do a two or three angle grind job depending on what the spec calls for.

I'm not sure I see anything in the photos that would make me rush out to buy new valves without speaking to the machinist.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 00:44   #32
Derek UK
VOC Member

There's a huge step in the bad valve in pic 2 and it's seat is badly recessed. No way back for those. Hopefully the machining for fitting hardened seats will remove all of the damage. Standard Volvo valves are fine. It looks as if those shown have had a hard life. Do you know the true mileage for this engine? I'd make a guess at 150k plus, that's miles not km. Mind you I guessed broken rings and was wrong about that.
Does the magazine for the classic club you belong to out there have any ads for engine shops? You appear to have someone, the guy who is checking your wear, who would likely know someone.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 11:55   #33
arcturus
arcturus

I suspect a high mileage. Already had one crank shaft grind I think.A bummer re' cylinder number two valves. All the others are fine. I suspect that in the past someone has had the tappets on that set too tight and burnt the valves. My maxim has always been "a tappy engine is a happy engine" Now I will need to wait two weeks for delivery of new valves before taking head to machine shop.
When you think that in the thirties an ocean liner could sail to New York and back in just over one week and now deliveries from UK and Sweden take over a fortnight!
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 18:21   #34
blueosprey90
Master Member

Is that really a burnt valve? I thought that a burnt valve would have a hole in it or at least major erosion at the valve seat.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 22:22   #35
Derek UK
VOC Member

Typically a burnt valve might have a small chunk missing/burnt out of the edge of the valve. That could happen even with leaded petrol. With no lead, once valve recession starts there is no flat surface on the valve and head to dissipate the heat and it burns away all round. Gradually both the valve and the seat burn away giving the step shape shown. I've never seen a picture of one that bad. The matching faces will give a sort of seal keep the compression up but a valve with a chunk burnt out of it will not. Besides valves I think you will need new guides. I would get new springs too.
You can get parts a lot quicker if you pay for some sort of express post but that means expensive. Depends on how quick you need something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 10:24   #36
arcturus
arcturus

I've paid for express airmail from Brookhouse in UK and still waited ten days! Just as well I'm in no hurry with this one. Royal mail/post office parcels/GLS. are the worst offenders.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 15:21   #37
Derek UK
VOC Member

Your problem almost certainly the number of stops and rescheduling it takes. In the UK I have ordered mid afternoon, there is a bit of a deadline there, and got my parcel mid morning the next day. Very rare to have to wait for more than 1 day and that's with normal courier. I doubt if a parcel to you will go, say, from Heathrow to Faro in one jump. If the parcel is trackable it would be interesting to know where it does stop/start.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 15:56   #38
arcturus
arcturus

Having difficulty finding somewhere local (Algarve) that will do re seating.Just seeing if I can get the seats into a some what usable condition if all else fails.(don't want to have to send the head to Lisbon) and then fit new valves. What do you think? (try googling "Sagres") and you will see my difficulty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191124_01_01.jpg (230.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20191124_02.jpg (307.5 KB, 16 views)
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 01:42   #39
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Volvo Penta agent, repairs and service. Maybe they can sort you out. Lagos and Portimao

https://www.sopromar.com/contactos

https://www.sopromar.com/servicos/mecanica_1966

Google translate will sort you out. I can read the whole site in English.

Last edited by Derek UK; Nov 25th, 2019 at 01:44.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 11:00   #40
arcturus
arcturus

Latest bombshell! Looks like a new cam shaft will be needed.Looks pretty worn and rough at edges.Wondering if wrong oil has been used in past.I have been using the ZDDP classic oils for some time now but speak for previous owners.This will have to wait until the new year as funds are diminishing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191125_01.JPG (380.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20191125_02.jpg (256.1 KB, 22 views)