Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Towbar bleeper.

Views : 642

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 18:13   #1
Knaus

Default XC70 Towbar bleeper.

Any thoughts would be welcome, I have had a towbar fitted to my 2005 xc70 along with the dedicated wiring kit.
All my past towcars and towbars have had a bleeper when the indicators are on.
This one hasn't just wondered if anything is missing.
Cheers.
Knaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 18:24   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

That's how the Volvo system works. It will tell you if one of the trailer lights has failed when the trailer is attached. Road traffic law allows either an audible warning or a proactive system like the Volvo one.

Effectively it means that you do not have to check the trailer lights to see if they are working before starting off. Still good practice to check them
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 18:31   #3
Father Ted
Master Member

My 2003 V70 and 2003 XC90 both have a repeater lamp on the dash board. Bottom right hand corner.
If the trailer is plugged in and indicators are working, a green left and right arrow flash. If the indicator does not work, there are no arrows.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 19:09   #4
Knaus

Thanks for the responses all has been fitted as it should be.
Cheers.
Knaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 09:34   #5
humming

Hijacking your thread a bit here, but I picked up my 2017 XC60, with a Volvo fitted tow bar, on saturday and towed the caravan on Sunday.

I was expecting to see/hear some kind of indicator working confirmation but did not see/hear anything apart from the normal left/right indicator flashing arrows (top left & right of display).

I did check the tow bar fit by selecting reverse with the caravan conected and the reversing beepers were inhibited.

Should I be seeing a trailer towing indicator indication on the display, or is there some other way of confirming the caravan indicators are working?
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 18:08   #6
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming View Post

Should I be seeing a trailer towing indicator indication on the display, or is there some other way of confirming the caravan indicators are working?
The system knows that you have a trailer fitted and will tell you if one of the trailer lights is not working. I had this once when water ingress had corroded one of the indicator terminals. Message appeared on the dash saying " offside indicator not working"

Very reassuring that the system knows what is going Oran's spots faults and lets you know.
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 20:10   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming View Post
Hijacking your thread a bit here, but I picked up my 2017 XC60, with a Volvo fitted tow bar, on saturday and towed the caravan on Sunday.

I was expecting to see/hear some kind of indicator working confirmation but did not see/hear anything apart from the normal left/right indicator flashing arrows (top left & right of display).

I did check the tow bar fit by selecting reverse with the caravan conected and the reversing beepers were inhibited.

On my xc70 the normal indicator repeaters flash faster if one of the caravan indicators fail, just as it does if one on the car fails.
I verified this by connecting my trailer board and removing an indicator bulb.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote