Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crank pulley tool

Views : 2463

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2016, 21:05   #1
speedyG50

Default Crank pulley tool

Does anyone have one of those CRANK PULLEY HOLDING TOOLS

Volvo ref: 9995284

For sale ...?
To rent ...?
To lend ...?

Thanks
speedyG50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 17:46   #2
Yaxley

Like this?

The original Volvo one is slightly different (engages only top half of balancer pulley not all of it like this version).

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...92#post2178992
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 22:18   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

That link looks interesting.

For what it may be worth I bought the genuine Volvo tool in August 2010 from a Volvo dealer in or near Colchester. My note is:

Crankshaft Pulley Tool
Part number 9995284
£29.60 plus VAT.
From Sweden ... two working days.

If I were looking for one now I would try FRF Volvo dealer parts department in Swansea. 01792 790066 or 01792 784272 - Quoting discount code: C3.
I find they give an excellent postal or courier service at sensible prices and other forum members speak well of them. Oh and their courier (Interlink) give a two hour delivery time slot.

I think the tool is well worth buying especiallyif one is keeping the car. And I guess it will have a second hand value in due course. But the more experienced forum members have ways of doing the job without the tool. There's a list of techniques in a post somewhere in the forum.

Edit P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
There are several ways:
1) special tool that clamps pulley
2) big socket on nut, wedge long breaker bar against the chassis, give a quick flick of the starter motor
3) Put in 4th gear, handbrake on, try turning breaker bar by hand, or giving it a wack with a hammer
4) Impact wrench with air line
5) Rope trick - feed string into a plug hole, wind crank so that the piston is locked. Remove string afterwards!
6) Cheat - cut slit in lower plastic cover so that you can remove it, leaving the pulley in situ.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 10th, 2016 at 22:24.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 00:07   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Or there's this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=257623

It's on the 700/900 section.

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Oct 11th, 2016 at 00:08. Reason: I still can't type corectly:)
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 12:18   #5
skidje
Master Member

Default Crank tool

I would only take either one of below options. The other sound a bit riscfull

There are several ways:
6) Cheat - cut slit in lower plastic cover so that you can remove it, leaving the pulley in situ.

Definitely NO GO...
2) big socket on nut, wedge long breaker bar against the chassis, give a quick flick of the starter motor
3) Put in 4th gear, handbrake on, try turning breaker bar by hand, or giving it a wack with a hammer
5) Rope trick - feed string into a plug hole, wind crank so that the piston is locked. Remove string afterwards!

But realize it took me with my limited skills in welding to make below in half an hour. Luckily we had some suitable sizes of metal in the trashbin.

skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skidje For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 00:42   #6
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidje View Post
I would only take either one of below options. The other sound a bit riscfull

There are several ways:
According to 'legend' the reason for the special crank holder is because the B2XX series engines (and others) have cast, rather than forged crankshafts.

I don't know of anyone who has actually snapped one using an impact wrench on the pulley nut, but it is a risk - alledgedly!
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 12:34   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

In case you are still looking, I have just listed a used genuine one in the forum for sale.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=259557
Old Nov 28th, 2016, 21:15   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

People might want to consider carefully before buying the IPD tool https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7988...lder-tool-b230 It might be good but someone thinks otherwise. My attention has been drawn to this thread http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-2...-holder-46753/ where that IPD tool is shown as twisting in use.

I can't assess alternative tools made as a hobby or home made. They seem to be enthusiast made so are probably good, especially IF the one being sold has product liability insurance. I can say that the genuine Volvo tool is a finely made tough lump a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, doubtless relied on in Volvo dealer workshops throughout the world.

As for alternative methods, I respect the more experienced members who do not use a crankshaft pulley holding tool. I do wonder how they tighten the crankshaft pulley bolt correctly. I see in the secnd link above that someone tightens with a torque wrench relying on the timing belt to hold the crankshaft. How will that work? I doubt if the belt can hold that force? I found the belt could not hold the force to undo the small nuts holding the other pulleys. The crankshaft pulley tightening is torque plus degrees and I use a one metre long handle on a socket to tighten it correctly.

My spare real thing genuine tool was quickly sold to the first person who contacted me. Thanks.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Nov 28th, 2016 at 21:25.
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 22:48   #9
lupodoghe
luke baruke

Default Hello, CRANKSHAFT HOLDING TOOL again!

I've been trying to find one for a while now PLEASE help! I do not want to buy from the U.S. because shipping is risky, Does anyone have one of those CRANK PULLEY HOLDING TOOLS Volvo ref: 9995284

For sale ...?
To rent ...?
To lend ...?

I reside near Bilbao Spain, please write or call if you can help
+393806927135
lupodoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 21:14   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupodoghe View Post
I've been trying to find one for a while now PLEASE help! I do not want to buy from the U.S. because shipping is risky, Does anyone have one of those CRANK PULLEY HOLDING TOOLS Volvo ref: 9995284

For sale ...?
To rent ...?
To lend ...?

I reside near Bilbao Spain, please write or call if you can help
+393806927135
If you can check the postage/shipping costs I can lend you one; but it's a heavy lump of metal so could be quite expensive.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote