Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6F51 - Tailgate Handle DTC

Views : 878

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 21:34   #1
hitechtherealone

Question 6F51 - Tailgate Handle DTC

Hi. done some work on a S40 for a customer then its developed a fault the boot not opening with Boot Open message on dashboard.

I had a lot of work on today and had it booked in for some diagnostics so didnt have the time to investigate it. It luckily opened for me once. Then it wouldnt open at all again after that one time. A diagnostic scan came up with 6F51 - Tailgate handle DTC.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this as it seems ot be a common fault on the S40's. What i did do was a quick adaptation of door and boot locks. Locking and unlocking. But it did not help it. I cleared the code and it didnt come back but the boot still wouldnt open.

After some research this common fault seems to be directed at the small part of wiring that goes thru the tall gate. My question is , is it likely to be the wiring OR the actual switch going by that fault ? I really wish i had more time when it actually opened and i would have taken the screws off the small wiring harness that goes to the switch for checks. Any input on this I would appreciate. Thanks. Its a 10 plate btw.
hitechtherealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 22:47   #2
Paddy94

I'd start by checking the actual wiring itself, this is a pretty common issue with these cars.
Paddy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 04:40   #3
hitechtherealone

Question How to get the boot opened ? Help please.

Yeah it seems to be a strong possibility. Whats the best way just to get the boot opened to actually get to the wiring? No doubt I will be crawling into the boot from the back seat. Once Im in there is there any quick way to get it opened ? Also is it possible a fuse has blown aswell because of frayed wires and if so where will it be located and what amps should it be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy94 View Post
I'd start by checking the actual wiring itself, this is a pretty common issue with these cars.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 06:29   #4
hitechtherealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechtherealone View Post
Hi. done some work on a S40 for a customer then its developed a fault the boot not opening with Boot Open message on dashboard.

I had a lot of work on today and had it booked in for some diagnostics so didnt have the time to investigate it. It luckily opened for me once. Then it wouldnt open at all again after that one time. A diagnostic scan came up with 6F51 - Tailgate handle DTC.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this as it seems ot be a common fault on the S40's. What i did do was a quick adaptation of door and boot locks. Locking and unlocking. But it did not help it. I cleared the code and it didnt come back but the boot still wouldnt open.

After some research this common fault seems to be directed at the small part of wiring that goes thru the tall gate. My question is , is it likely to be the wiring OR the actual switch going by that fault ? I really wish i had more time when it actually opened and i would have taken the screws off the small wiring harness that goes to the switch for checks. Any input on this I would appreciate. Thanks. Its a 10 plate btw.
OK after some more research and hunting on here I found this:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ot+wiring+loom

Perfect. Now I have a plan in place to get it sorted. I was planning on re-soldering but couldn't help notice. Are all the wires coloured black ??????? NO WAY !!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 17:47   #5
hitechtherealone

Thumbs up Fixed

I replaced the wiring loom from boot to module and its now opening. But the DIM message still sais boot open. But its actually not and it now works as normal. Any idea why this message is still on the DIM. Where on VIDA could this be cleared?