Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

low mileage S90 D5

Views : 1517

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:35   #11
Tony Harrison

Re the above from m2, I don't regard my average of 45mpg as "drinking". My previous E Class's averaged 39 (E350) and 46 (E220) so 45 is representative of this class of vehicle.

I suspect an XC90 is a harder drinker but look at Quacker's figures. The bloke's almost teetotal considering the size of vehicle.
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:52   #12
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
Re the above from m2, I don't regard my average of 45mpg as "drinking". My previous E Class's averaged 39 (E350) and 46 (E220) so 45 is representative of this class of vehicle.

I suspect an XC90 is a harder drinker but look at Quacker's figures. The bloke's almost teetotal considering the size of vehicle.
Considered that my 3 litre straight six is getting comparable mpg, has in excess of 300hp and can hit 62 mph in under 6 seconds then the D5 starts to look thirsty in comparison.

Previously, MY2013 XC60 SE LUX D5 Geartronic.
m2srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 15:02   #13
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
Considered that my 3 litre straight six is getting comparable mpg, has in excess of 300hp and can hit 62 mph in under 6 seconds then the D5 starts to look thirsty in comparison.
Oddly, my previous X5 which was only just under 200 hp iirc ( single turbo version) only managed 30mpg on a good day. No doubt newer ones improve on that somewhat. The Q7 has similar consumption.

At the time I thought these great compared to the previous four cylinder Range Rover 26mpg and my Land Cruiser 4.2 at 24mpg on a really good day.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 15:05.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 15:16   #14
Tony Harrison

I agree Beemers are generally said to be pretty efficient but the official (presumably optimistic test version) combined figure for an X5 40D was 40mpg from what I can see. The current XC90 D5 figure is around 47mpg according to What Car?. So by "comparable" you actually mean "quite a bit less"?

Let's have some numbers to help our friend jotka (not that inferring he should have bought a beemer helps him much).
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 16:41   #15
m2srt

Quote:
I agree Beemers are generally said to be pretty efficient but the official (presumably optimistic test version) combined figure for an X5 40D was 40mpg from what I can see. The current XC90 D5 figure is around 47mpg according to What Car?. So by "comparable" you actually mean "quite a bit less"?

Let's have some numbers to help our friend jotka (not that inferring he should have bought a beemer helps him much).

Okay, my average fuel consumption based on 40% urban, 40% A roads and 20% motorways is about 36MPG. 100% motorways 70mph is about 44. Considering size, capacity and power I consider that to be pretty good going. I never use Start Stop and am no longer on runflats I am however quite a sedate driver and only 'use' the motor to overtake.

Last edited by m2srt; Jun 23rd, 2019 at 16:46.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 19:21   #16
Tony Harrison

Thank you for the data. So "comparable" actually means "a lot less". Just so we understand.

Nuff said.
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 21:21   #17
m2srt

Quote:
Thank you for the data. So "comparable" actually means "a lot less". Just so we understand.

Nuff said.
If you're trying to compare a boxy SUV to saloon cars then yes but if you're comparing apples to apples then the X5 uses about the same amount of fuel as a XC90 D5. A friend mine has the N57 straight 6 in his 335d Touring and claims to be getting 51 MPG. So my original point remains valid that the BMW straight 6 offers similar levels of efficiency whilst at the same time offering superior levels of refinement and performance.

PERIOD!

Old Jun 24th, 2019, 21:48   #18
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2srt View Post
If you're trying to compare a boxy SUV to saloon cars then yes but if you're comparing apples to apples then the X5 uses about the same amount of fuel as a XC90 D5. A friend mine has the N57 straight 6 in his 335d Touring and claims to be getting 51 MPG. So my original point remains valid that the BMW straight 6 offers similar levels of efficiency whilst at the same time offering superior levels of refinement and performance.

PERIOD!
Again, I found my X5 to be fairly noisy. Noisier than the XC90 but slightly quieter than the same BMW engine fitter to the Range Rover. Its not a quiet engine per-se but admittedly has a quieter drive-by-under-load noise for bystanders, where the Volvo sounds somewhat like a Perkins 1100 series. However that is hardly noticeable inside the cab due to very good engine mounts and the double-bulkhead fitted to 60 and 90 series cars.
The Q7 V6 is a more refined performer in my opinion. But frankly the difference is not particularly significant when by far the greater noise during normal driving comes from tyres, whether taking about Volvo or the Germanic brands.
This is my experience from personally owning and driving all these cars for between a minimum of 35,000 miles and a maximum of 70,000 each. Range Rover and BMW were owned for the least mileage, the RR because I got an offer I couldn't refuse to change it for the Audi and the BMW because it left us stranded and was carted back to dealer on a truck, three times.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 24th, 2019 at 22:29.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 22:47   #19
m2srt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Again, I found my X5 to be fairly noisy. Noisier than the XC90 but slightly quieter than the same BMW engine fitter to the Range Rover. Its not a quiet engine per-se but admittedly has a quieter drive-by-under-load noise for bystanders, where the Volvo sounds somewhat like a Perkins 1100 series. However that is hardly noticeable inside the cab due to very good engine mounts and the double-bulkhead fitted to 60 and 90 series cars.
The Q7 V6 is a more refined performer in my opinion. But frankly the difference is not particularly significant when by far the greater noise during normal driving comes from tyres, whether taking about Volvo or the Germanic brands.
This is my experience from personally owning and driving all these cars for between a minimum of 35,000 miles and a maximum of 70,000 each. Range Rover and BMW were owned for the least mileage, the RR because I got an offer I couldn't refuse to change it for the Audi and the BMW because it left us stranded and was carted back to dealer on a truck, three times.

The Range Rover actually had the predecessor to my engine, the M57! Great engine but quite different to it's successor the N57. To start with, the RR still had a cast iron block as opposed to later iterations of the M57. It also had almost half the power of the N57.

Last edited by m2srt; Jun 24th, 2019 at 22:54.