Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Identify audio options visually

Views : 1628

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 19:52   #11
kmb

My 2010 C30 has the High Performance system and I'm surprised how well it performs.

However, I have noticed when messing around that the CD quality trumps MP3 by some margin, which is a pity since I recently did away with all my CD's and use a 32GB USB loaded up with MP3.

Doh.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 02:18   #12
daniel84uk

Yes i find this too/

Although it is technically impossible to tell the difference between CD quality, and a high bitrate MP3 on paper. Unfortunately the sources aren't processed by the same in the unit, and something gets lost. MP3s always seems to come off sounding worse. Even my half decent pioneer 80-PRS was the same. Its really frustrating, there should be no difference if implemented right.

I gave up a long time ago trying to reach the perfect sound, every album needs its own eq curve. You get one album sound great to the determent of another, and some songs are just recorded bad period.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 11:40   #13
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84uk View Post
Yes i find this too/

Although it is technically impossible to tell the difference between CD quality, and a high bitrate MP3 on paper. Unfortunately the sources aren't processed by the same in the unit, and something gets lost. MP3s always seems to come off sounding worse. Even my half decent pioneer 80-PRS was the same. Its really frustrating, there should be no difference if implemented right.

I gave up a long time ago trying to reach the perfect sound, every album needs its own eq curve. You get one album sound great to the determent of another, and some songs are just recorded bad period.
Ironically this problem is worse, the more expensive the audio equipment (closest to reference). When average/good/high end radios, car audio etc. is implemented it matches pretty close to the 'average consumer' monitor speakers studios use when mastering Tracks for radio or mass production generally. It seems counter intuitive but they use a variety if speakers including old school quite low end yamahas as if they sound 'good' on those, then they will sound good on average Jos car radio. Sadly, when you play the same master on a super high end system all the problems shine through, and you are forever trying to correct the bias for each CD/Song. In a static home environment this is less of an issue, but in a car, which is accoustical problematic it becomes a nightmare. It means it's all or nothing.... small upgrades to car stereos often sound worse than stock, so you have to spend big money and do a major install to get real gains... I think with Volvo you get the car with the stereo you want, and leave it alone. It's an opinion, but I've read so many stories of how tough it is to successfully upgrade these volvo systems.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 06:44   #14
daniel84uk

Well by luck i ended up with high performance audio option, and im very disappointed. It Lacks clarity, the tweeters are hopeless. Im baffled to how people think it sound great. Im not one of these 'audiophile' people either, even a semi cheap Bluetooth speaker can have a pleasant sound. My laptop has a more rounded sound than this car deary me! I think ill get a dsp and or different tweeters.

Oh and why does FM sound so poor compared to the CD player. What a mess.
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:29   #15
lockstock

Quote:
Well by luck i ended up with high performance audio option, and im very disappointed. It Lacks clarity, the tweeters are hopeless. Im baffled to how people think it sound great. Im not one of these 'audiophile' people either, even a semi cheap Bluetooth speaker can have a pleasant sound. My laptop has a more rounded sound than this car deary me! I think ill get a dsp and or different tweeters.

there is a thread on here about radio antenna issues so very poor fm performance could. be about that. something to do with rear window trim. I have the basic system and the tweeters aren't too bright, which I'm pleased about, but clarity is decent. It could be preference which is subjective, but if it's as you say I'd be suspecting parts of your system are old/damaged, failing and worth upgrading anyway... edit
. when i got the car all the radio presets were for classic fm and other 'low gain' stations so I think the radio had an easy life :-)
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:32   #16
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:

Not an audiophile by any means, but I can distinguish poor sound from a decent one when I hear it and my system is defo not something I would be complaining about. In comparison to a lot of other cars I drove, it actually goes way beyond so either you have some issue (speakers blown, amp failure?) or maybe it needs to be set properly, did you fiddle with settiongs etc? there is some amount of presets and tone corrections to choose from, I suspect you did that already, but no harm asking.
If its still dull and flat on CD source, well, I really think you may have some hardware problem as it really shouldnt sound that bad (as per your comparison)...
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:47   #17
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:

Have you setup the front and rear EQ in advanced options? The high performance stereo sounds crap until you've done this. It makes a big difference.

The base level stereo in these cars is better than most in terms of bass, but the lack of EQ option hurts it badly. High performance addresses this, and I believe it has slightly bigger mid-bass speakers in the front doors.

If you want a Volvo with a really good stereo, you try the old P2 S60/V70 etc...Those things with the 13 speaker stereo were off the chart.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 10:51   #18
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
If you want a Volvo with a really good stereo, you try the old P2 S60/V70 etc...Those things with the 13 speaker stereo were off the chart.

were those much different from DPLII system in P1 cars? Mine is one of those 12 speaker one, P2 had extra speaker?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 11:33   #19
AndrasL

If you buy autoDNA report, it will include the audio system type. You should get this report before buying anyway, since it contains LOTS of information.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:16   #20
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
were those much different from DPLII system in P1 cars? Mine is one of those 12 speaker one, P2 had extra speaker?
S60 P2 Premium Stereo:
Center Dash Speakers = 1
Front Door speakers = 6 (3 in each door)
Rear Door speakers = 2 (1 in each door)
Rear Shelf speakers = 4 (2x2 on each side of shelf)
Total=13

S40 P1 DynAudio Premium Stereo:
Center Dash Speakers = 2
Front Door speakers = 6 (3 in each door)
Rear Door speakers = 4 (2 in each door)
Rear Shelf speakers = 0
Total=12

Also need to take into account that the (old) S60 has much better insulation with virtually zero hard plastics on the door cards, which makes a difference in effectiveness of the stereo. Interior ambiance more hushed in the S60.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post: