Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Burning oil and feels slightly down on power.

Views : 565

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2019, 20:04   #1
SnackBox

Default Burning oil and feels slightly down on power.

Hi all.

Being having a couple of engine issues with my 2007 1.8 S40 lately. It's gone through about 1 liter of oil in about 1750 kms or 1100 miles. Spark plug tips seem fine (I'll post pics tomorrow off them). Mileage is only 151k kilometres. Also feel lately that the car is not running at full power either especially past 3-4k rpm. It's being a while since I owned my 1.8 Mondeo but I do remember it being a slightly more quicker.

Today I put new NGK platinums into it and will inspect them in a few days. There's no smoke on start up and from what I can tell none on acceleration. And I had the emissions tested a few weeks back and that was fine as well.

The only other thing I researched that it could be was the PCV. So I done the rubber glove test by removing the oil filler cap and it inflated like a balloon. I then brought it to a mechanic to get the thermostat done ( wasn't getting up to temperature properly) and asked him to look further into the PCV.

Told the mechanic what I've said above and that I believe the pcv is behind the manifold. He told me that it was a big job getting the manifold off and that these engines are very prone to the rings going in them ( which I know). He then said he'd ring a mate in Ford to find out more. Afterwards he got back to me and said his mate said that these Duratec engines don't have a PCV which I took in other words as a kind way of saying he didn't want to do the job so I left it at that.

Anyways I'm looking to see what you guys think ? I've a Haynes manual on the way in the post and and considering removing the manifold myself. I've seen the YouTube video of it being done on a Mondeo but the S40 engine bay is smaller again so that's not going to help things. Should I get a compression test done first before I start touching the manifold ?

Dunno about the UK but I find mechanics in Ireland just have no interest in taking on certain jobs these days other then the usual service, clutch and brakes jobs. Quite frustrating.

Last edited by SnackBox; Sep 26th, 2019 at 20:09.
SnackBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 01:37   #2
SnackBox

Anybody?
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 02:27   #3
PaddyB

I've no experience of these engines - but I did have a car that drank 1L of oil every 1000km. It was a Toyota Verso 1.8VVTI; & that engine was quite well known for getting to ~50000 miles & then ****ting itself. The liners or piston rings would go.

A compression test would certainly rule in/out that possibility.

Other than that have a look around the engine for oil leaks, rocker cover gaskets & that. I don't know if yours has a PCV - but it wasn't a hard job on my T5. Have a go yourself.

It's not unusual to struggle with mechanics on this kind of job: they know how long a clutch will take so they can give you a cost up front. They could spend a week looking at disappearing oil & not find the fault - but it's $1.5k of their time (based on $40/hr). I'd choke a little bit handing that kind of money over for no fix.

If it were my car & no fix was forthcoming - I'd be looking to move it on
PaddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 10:53   #4
mopedmick

Think that is the ford duratec 1.8 engine which is well known to have piston ring problems, the burning oil will burn out a valve or possibly melt a piston but either way its unlikely to be an easy fix, compression test will not tell you that oil control ring is worn, broken or gunged with carbon,
mopedmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 18:24   #5
SnackBox

Still yet to have another look at the new plugs. There's no leaks around the engine at all. Rocker gasket was only done a few weeks previous.

I'm just closely monitoring the oil level every week. 1lt in under 2000kms and no smoke really amazes me tbh.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 00:49   #6
SnackBox

A little update on this. I managed to get around to checking the plugs a few weeks ago and there was defiantly evidence of oil on them.

Its also going through a lot more oil as well however still no smoke. It went from max to min within two weeks and with my commute to work I do maybe 150kms a week. So I took the gamble and after a few discussions with a mechanic he reckoned as well that the PCV could possibly be the issue so that has now being replaced.

However after doing the job he feels that the PCV might not be the issue now for whatever reason and reckons it's either valve or piston seals but that I should drive it on and keep an eye on the oil. He's even amazed though that there is no smoke coming from it.

While removing the manifold he told me that the throttle body was very badly covered in carbon or for a petrol engine anyways. Don't know if that's connected to the issue in question though.

Today I took it on a drive of over 300 kms on the motorway and tomorrow I'll check the oil once I have it on flat ground. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 14:11   #7
Welton
Premier Member

My take on this (and its been on here a lot) is this:

I think the engines were filled with fully synthetic oil from the factory and don't see their first oil change for 12/18/20? thousand miles. The oil is actually too 'slippy' and stops the rings/bores from bedding in correctly, from that point on you will have an 'oil burner' engine.

What to do about it in later life? I'm not sure what I'd do with my own car but changing to a slightly thicker oil perhaps and monitor the usage, or run the car on a really basic oil (or a 'running in' oil) and then change back to fully syn?

Please don't read this as technical advice, it's purely my take on things but I do not believe for one minute that the piston rings are 'worn' in the same was as 1970's engines used to wear.

Maybe speak to a company like Opie Oils for some advice.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 21:29   #8
SnackBox

Done 400kms since changing the PCV and the oil is half way on the dipstick. I have to assume the mechanic filled it up to the top but will check it every couple of days just in case he didn't fill it completely. Otherwise yeah I'll accept that it's the rings.