Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45449

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 14:45   #21
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
It was mental, we were in a getaway car pelting it down the M1 with the rozzers just inches behind us, we almost had to ditch the diamonds, did I mention we were on the wrong side of the road? .... Of course on another occassion we were on holiday in Germany enjoying our new car; the Autbanhn, as no doubt you are aware has a Richtgeschwindigkeit ('advisory' limit) of 130 Km/h (80 mph). It is perfectly legal to travel above that.

Well, furry muff, that answers that question then. I should have known a Volvo driver would never break the law in the UK
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 16:04   #22
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnjulie View Post
Yer, possibly, but they didn't say they were on private ground doing 85mph so the assumption is they were on a motorway or dual carriageway - ie breaking the speed limit. Perhaps the poster should clarify where and why they were doing that speed?
in another life we used to say that you should never Assume anything that is not their because it often makes and Ass of U and Me

BTW, I have been told several times that the police give 10% allowance giving you 77 mph on an unrestricted motorway and they will normally give another 10% on top where only a warning is issued - taking you to 84 mph. the reason they say is that if they stopped everybody above 70 then all drivers in UK would be stopped

I am not condoning speeding, far from it, merely repeating what I have heard
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 16:38   #23
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
BTW, I have been told several times that the police give 10% allowance giving you 77 mph on an unrestricted motorway and they will normally give another 10% on top where only a warning is issued - taking you to 84 mph. the reason they say is that if they stopped everybody above 70 then all drivers in UK would be stopped
My big bruv served 30 years as plod, so:

Unofficially (but don't quote me on it) the police say 10% + 2mph above the limit, but it isn't just the speed you're doing - it's the manner of driving as well. If you're doing 80mph in light motorway traffic keeping a good safety margin around you, it's unlikely you will be 'pulled', but if you're driving on someone's back bumper (at, or even below, the posted limit), undertaking, weaving etc., you can expect a tap on the shoulder from plod.
I'm no angel - I do stick to 30,40 & 50 limits, and the 60mph national limit on A roads, but I have occasionally gone a little over 70mph on a motorway where it felt safe to do so. Personally, I think SLOW drivers on a motorway are more of a problem - you've all seen them - 40mph max, totally oblivious to other traffic and probably responsible for hundreds of accidents even if they never had one themselves.
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 17:22   #24
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Followed a guy sitting in the outside lane of the M6 on Friday and there he sat at 60mph for miles. I indicated left as I was leaving the motorway in a mile or so and as soon as I changed lanes to the inside he blinked the indicator and HEAVED the car in to the middle and then inside lane as if trying to make sure I didnt pass him on the inside!!! idiots some of them.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 21:33   #25
XC60Owner

Well I was on the motorway again today and the whistling was there again at lower speeds as well (it was a windy day). I used masking tape and covered all the gaps and seals around the noisy area and I managed to get it to stop. But I haven't been able to fine tune exactly where it is yet. But I think it is something to do with the slim strip of painted plastic the runs down the side edge of the windscreen. As I got down to just having that entirely taped up and there was no whistling.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60Owner For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 22:23   #26
chilton55555

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilton55555 View Post
I've had my XC60 since 1 Sept 09 and have also noticed the whistle at speeds above 50mph from the drivers side only. It's worse in high cross winds, I have it in booked in for its 3000 mile check on 2 Nov and will ask them to check this out and report back any findings.
My local Volvo dealer checked this out for me (noise at 50 mph) and have made some improvements by adusting the 'A frame' on my new xc60, noise now at 65 mph, I will ask them to try this again as I usually keep to a max speed of 74 mph as registered on my speedo. I will again report back my findings.

If anyone has any useful comments on how this can be overcome or have already solved the problem I would really appreciate your feedback

Last edited by chilton55555; Nov 25th, 2009 at 22:36. Reason: Update
chilton55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 22:32   #27
chilton55555

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.cass View Post
I've only had my XC60 a couple of days and have noticed the whistle at speeds above 50mph from the drivers side only. It's worse in high cross winds and suggests a leak in either the windscreen sealant or in the way the door seals to the body. The buffeting wind noise on the outside is a product of the mirror design. I will leave to see how this develops and mention to the dealer at my 3k check. Otherwise, great car.
I've had my XC60 since 1 Sept 09 and have also noticed the whistle at speeds above 50mph from the drivers side only. It's worse in high cross winds, I have it in booked in for its 3000 mile check on 2 Nov and will ask them to check this out and report back any findings.

My local Volvo dealer checked this out for me (noise at 50 mph) and have made some improvements by adusting the 'A frame' on my new xc60, noise now at 65 mph, I will ask them to try this again as I usually keep to a max speed of 74 mph as registered on my speedo. I will again report back my findings.

If anyone has any useful comments on how this can be overcome or have already solved the problem I would really appreciate your feedback
chilton55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 13:22   #28
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilton55555 View Post

My local Volvo dealer checked this out for me (noise at 50 mph) and have made some improvements by adusting the 'A frame' on my new xc60, noise now at 65 mph, ...
What do you mean by 'A Frame' and what were the adjustments they made? This noise is really frustrating me - and others it would seem
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 14:56   #29
NewVolvo
VOC Member

This is so strange, I have nothing of this noise around any mirrors or the A pillars......
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 15:38   #30
Another

My XC60 went in for its 3 month check and I had a rummage thro' the paperwork of the work conducted. And I found they had done some work to reduce the noise at speed generated by the wing mirrors - its was on advice of a recall. Not a full safety recall - but when a car goes in they should conduct any outstanding remedial work which has been reported. So they clearly know its an issue and have offered a solution to dealers. Have to say mine never really suffered from its greatly - but since the fix it has improved.
Another is offline   Reply With Quote