Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Views : 38756

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:52   #11
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Hi r-designbob

Mainly Dales A and B roads and roads in North Yorkshire and the Lake District.

The power unit and auto gear train seems very high geared and always seem to be revving too low in my view ( probably my low speeds because of slow traffic flow) . Plenty of power though when you want it and performance is effortless when you can find a road suitable. I am used to putting an auto in drive and leaving it but I do find myself putting this into manual to keep the revs up a bit .You could run round all day in 5th manual on most roads as 6th is high geared in auto and best really on a dual carriageway. Average speed is reading a low 29MPH up to now.
Out of interest was you last car a diesel?

Many people coming from petrol engines think diesels 'rev' too low, but that is the intrinsic benefit of the diesel - it has the torque at much lower revs than the petrol engine
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:52   #12
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Out of interest was you last car a diesel?

Many people coming from petrol engines think diesels 'rev' too low, but that is the intrinsic benefit of the diesel - it has the torque at much lower revs than the petrol engine
Hi wimorrison , my last car was petrol Mercedes and I realize that diesels are lower revving but I am often finding myself trickling along at 50mph with 1500 revs on and that seems to low to me .

I wonder if the exhaust gets hot enough to even carry out the regeneration if its running low revs and cool.

I am wondering Is it not the low mileage trips and possible resultant cool running that causes that oil increase problem with those having the problem.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 19:53   #13
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Hi wimorrison , my last car was petrol Mercedes and I realize that diesels are lower revving but I am often finding myself trickling along at 50mph with 1500 revs on and that seems to low to me .

I wonder if the exhaust gets hot enough to even carry out the regeneration if its running low revs and cool.

I am wondering Is it not the low mileage trips and possible resultant cool running that causes that oil increase problem with those having the problem.
Very probable that this contributes to the issue.

I have said in previous posts that I think a major issue is that the exhaust is not getting hot enough due to short journeys which are not long enough for regeneration to take place, it may be that journeys at lower revs result in the same issue - cool exhausts
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 21:44   #14
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Very probable that this contributes to the issue.

I have said in previous posts that I think a major issue is that the exhaust is not getting hot enough due to short journeys which are not long enough for regeneration to take place, it may be that journeys at lower revs result in the same issue - cool exhausts
Yes I have taken on board all you have said regarding the matter hence my trying to keep a reasonable level of revs up to try and keep exhaust temperatures high.
I also wonder if the two stage turbo in the D5 205 is better with regard to this than the single stage 2.4. Another poll to establish if it’s D5 or 2.4s that’s having the oil problems might be handy.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 21:55   #15
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Don’t know how you got 47 MPG on the D3 auto I am getting 37 and it doesn’t look like it will get much better!
I only know what the readout was. But saying that, very long empty roads in northeastern Germany & Poland helped probably. It truly was phenominal on the fuel consumption.

Quote:
Yes I have taken on board all you have said regarding the matter hence my trying to keep a reasonable level of revs up to try and keep exhaust temperatures high.
I also wonder if the two stage turbo in the D5 205 is better with regard to this than the single stage 2.4. Another poll to establish if it’s D5 or 2.4s that’s having the oil problems might be handy.
My D5 certainly had the high oil level issue. Been fixed now.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 19:54   #16
Daleman
Master Member

Default Untouchable?

Having just completed the first 1000 miles in the D3 Geartronic the MPG looks to be averaging 36.9mpg.

That’s steady driving on A & B roads with a 30MPH average showing on the computer.

Cannot touch the 47MPG achieved by New Volvo in this original posting.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 20:20   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Having just completed the first 1000 miles in the D3 Geartronic the MPG looks to be averaging 36.9mpg.

That’s steady driving on A & B roads with a 30MPH average showing on the computer.

Cannot touch the 47MPG achieved by New Volvo in this original posting.
There seems to be a great variation in the mpgs that people are returning - there is a post (can't recall find it now) where the poster was returning that mpg on a D5 with similar mileage.

Out of interest is the D3 FWD or AWD? I expect that the AWD on the D5 would eat up some fuel as would the additional 30bhp on the D5, which would make me think that your mpg is low

Hopefully it will get better as the car wears in.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 22:19   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi r-designbob

Mainly Dales A and B roads and roads in North Yorkshire and the Lake District.

The power unit and auto gear train seems very high geared and always seem to be revving too low in my view ( probably my low speeds because of slow traffic flow) . Plenty of power though when you want it and performance is effortless when you can find a road suitable. I am used to putting an auto in drive and leaving it but I do find myself putting this into manual to keep the revs up a bit .You could run round all day in 5th manual on most roads as 6th is high geared in auto and best really on a dual carriageway. Average speed is reading a low 29MPH up to now.

This new D3 is tuned very differently to the old D5 the latter used to love to rev and produced power up to about 5000 rpm , however the D3 max power is at 3800 rpm so no point in going over that ... the gearing is chosen appropriatly i would think ... the boost pressure is higher in the D3 to the older D5 engines
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 23:00   #19
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
There seems to be a great variation in the mpgs that people are returning - there is a post (can't recall find it now) where the poster was returning that mpg on a D5 with similar mileage.

Out of interest is the D3 FWD or AWD? I expect that the AWD on the D5 would eat up some fuel as would the additional 30bhp on the D5, which would make me think that your mpg is low

Hopefully it will get better as the car wears in.
The D3 versions only come in fwd.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 00:18   #20
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
The D3 versions only come in fwd.
In certain geographical locations anyway.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote