Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 vs D5 - Direct comparison

Views : 38659

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 17:59   #31
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
Only had the D5 for a day but I'm impressed with its overtaking capability. Give me so much more confidence to overtake. Engine noise at idle is louder than I thought it would be, even louder than my trade in Picasso.

Early days yet, I've also got a message which states "Coolant Low". Got this error when moving the car a few yards to let someone out. So I'll have to take a look this morning before heading off to Robin Hood's Bay in about 10 mins.
Don’t worry about the gruff loud D5 Teejay the D3 you are actually getting is a lot smoother and nicer in day to day use. The suspension is also fairly hard probably harder than in your Picasso too .In the windy conditions experienced this weekend you may also experience a fair bit of wind noise as the suction of a strong wind does pull on the big door seals. All in all they are not perfect and certainly my old Merc had a “magic carpet” more sophisticated ride than the XC60 for sure and no wind noise as the door seals were rock solid but you should not be too disappointed with the whole package which is a pretty good effort by Volvo.More I would say an up market Ford Focus than the luxury limousine that many may perceive it as.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:16   #32
pakaune

[QUOTE=NewVolvo;703273]Having just returned from Berlin, I was given a brand new 2010 XC60 D3 as a rental from Avis.

Black metallic and Geartronic. This was the FWD version, single turbo and 175bhp. Badge at the back simply read: "D3".

Anyway, as some know I have the twin-turbo D5 and there are some very notable differences between them, including the MPG which is very good on the D3.

First of all, the engine. This is the new 2.0 litre, 5 cyl version and for those of you who doubt what it sounds and feel like you can relax. The sound is very very similar to the 2.4D and D5 engines and has that lovely 5 cyl growl.

The biggest thing I noticed was how quick it was of the mark at say, a stop sign. One would have to be careful not to spin the wheels. It also felt noticable lighter than that of my D5 AWD. Not as surefooted though as the D5.

But as you rev through the range, the biggest difference is the fact that the new D3 runs out of puff at about 3.5-4000 rpm whereas the D5, with it's 2nd turbo, will just continue. A high speed run on an unlimited section of the german autobahn confirms this. Keep it below 4000rpm and you'll be fine. It also runs out of steam at about 180-190km/h (112-118mph) although I did manage 121mph once.

On a very positive note was the fuel consumption. On purpose I resetted the OBC and after driving some 500 kms (only used 2/3 of a tank!) the onboard computer was reading 5.9l/100kms (approx 46-47mpg!) and that included the high speed runs, town driving and lots of air conditioning as the temperature soared to 43C on Saturday!

The only negative thing I can think of would be the Geartronic that was fitted. It was confused, hard to change at times and simply did not suite the car or the engine.

All in all, I am highly impressed re this engine in the XC60 bar the Geratronic.

Hopefully this may help some in the quest for shopping.....

Any questions, please ask!

Some pics.

I would like to ask if it is a difference between D3 and D5 if you kick down accelerator? I know that D5 goes without any turbo lag. How it is with D3?
pakaune is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pakaune For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 14:29   #33
Teejay1
Master Member

[QUOTE=pakaune;I would like to ask if it is a difference between D3 and D5 if you kick down accelerator? I know that D5 goes without any turbo lag. How it is with D3?[/QUOTE]

I might be able to answer that question. Today got a XC90 D5 AW Auto while mine is getting some scratches repaired that were there from new. So drove to work in a XC60 home in an XC90 and I'll be doing the reverse tomorrow ;-)
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 16:31   #34
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
I might be able to answer that question. Today got a XC90 D5 AW Auto while mine is getting some scratches repaired that were there from new. So drove to work in a XC60 home in an XC90 and I'll be doing the reverse tomorrow ;-)
unfortunately AFAIK the XC90 D5 has a different engine and gearbox to the XC60 D5
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote