Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel starting issues....

Views : 1370

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 20:50   #1
MrJames

Default Diesel starting issues....

Well I've exhausted the obvious things so thought I'd ask for some help on this one, the car cranks for longer than it should around 5-8 turns before it fires, during these turns at times it sounds like it wants to go but doesn't it all started when the weather got cold, during the summer in started nice and easy, might be a coincidence though?

Steps I've taken....

Glow plugs, tested them and all but one was out of spec so replaced with Bosch ones from Opie Oil so definitely genuine.

Diesel filter, replaced with genuine volvo one a couple of weeks ago.

Leak test, all injectors performed well under the limit, could've left it another 5 minutes and been fine, all injectors performed about the same.

Battery, It was dying, after a full charge using a good quality charger, left disconnected after a few hours it went down to 12.5v then the next day was between 12.2-3 and during cranking was dropping to 7-8v so that has been replaced with a Yuasa battery.

I've attached a screenshot from Vida during cranking, this was before the battery was changed but not had the chance to repeat the test yet.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention the car is a 2003 S60 E3.

Thanks for any help and suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VirtualBoxVM_0BtuMqjBfq.jpg (54.8 KB, 20 views)
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 22:28   #2
Longhouse21
Master Member

In tank fuel pump?
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 22:31   #3
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
In tank fuel pump?
Judging by the amount of diesel everywhere when I got the filter housing back on slightly wrong the in tank pump is probably ok?

What's the easiest way to check it? Also the fuel rail pressure seems to go up pretty fast when cranking or should it rise faster?
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 23:20   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Make sure the connectors to the glow plugs are ok too, also double check that you have deffo bought the correct plugs.

I spent the most part of a year trying to figure out a poor start, mine also included misfiring too. That was down to a dogdy connector, although ive now made sure they are connected 100%, i still have the slow start and i think thats down to the starter motor....
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 05:48   #5
MrJames

I've got next week off work so I'll give the connections a good checking, the plugs opie supplied are Bosch 0 250 203 004 having trouble find a cross reference for the part number though.

It did something new earlier which could point to starter issues, during cranking it sounded like the bendix solenoid disengaged as the starter just made a whizzing sound, guess I'll give all the starter connections a check and check main earths and such.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 19:20   #6
MrJames

So I managed to get hold of a clamp meter and recorded a video of it attempting to start, I don't have another car to compare the crank speed to, could anyone tell me if it sounds normal? Doesn't seem slow to me...

*Edit* I forgot to add that the peak draw was 355 amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhN8I6c-DE

Last edited by MrJames; Feb 13th, 2021 at 19:23.
MrJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 01:51   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
So I managed to get hold of a clamp meter and recorded a video of it attempting to start, I don't have another car to compare the crank speed to, could anyone tell me if it sounds normal? Doesn't seem slow to me...

*Edit* I forgot to add that the peak draw was 355 amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVhN8I6c-DE
Thats faster than mine when ive not used it longer than a day, it was 7 days the other day, at -4ēC, it was about 80% slower than yours, leads me to think my issue is the starter motor
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 05:50   #8
MrJames

I just watched this video from SiRobb and his engine is spinning faster than mine on cranking so there's a problem there somewhere, guess the next job is get the connections cleaned up tomorrow! If that doesn't work I guess I'll pull the starter and give it a good cleaning....

https://youtu.be/r9XgrotkavY
The Following User Says Thank You to MrJames For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 13:10   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Have you checked the glow plug connectors are all supplying 12V/battery voltage with ignition on?
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 13:35   #10
MrJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you checked the glow plug connectors are all supplying 12V/battery voltage with ignition on?
I haven't but it's become a problem even when the engine is warm, I can drive and get it up to full temperature, turn it off then when restarting it splutters into life.