Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Central locking problem

Views : 6936

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2013, 17:46   #1
tc
VOC Member

Default Central locking problem

One of the many faults on the V70R is that the central locking isn't working properly. When you press the fob to lock the doors they all lock, however when you press it again to unlock the two front doors stay locked. I've had a listen today and I can here the motor going when you unlock them but the door doesnt actualy unlock.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong with it?..
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:29   #2
flex won

I had a similar problem with driver side door. Could lock the doors with the fob and unlock all doors other than the drivers with the fob. Could hear the mechanism working and when I removed the door trim panel, I could see the mechanism moving but not lifting the door peg to unlock the door. Door locked and unlocked fine with the key.

I tried lubricating the mechanism and the peg, checking linkages but couldn't find the problem. Seemed like it didn't have enough power to lift the peg or maybe gear teeth were missing.

In the end a friendly forum member sold me a second hand mechanism. I swapped it in and it works fine now.

Not sure if having both your front locks not working is indicative of another problem.
flex won is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flex won For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 21:22   #3
turboboy
Master Member

Default Central Locking Problem on one door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex won View Post
I had a similar problem with driver side door. Could lock the doors with the fob and unlock all doors other than the drivers with the fob. Could hear the mechanism working and when I removed the door trim panel, I could see the mechanism moving but not lifting the door peg to unlock the door. Door locked and unlocked fine with the key.

I tried lubricating the mechanism and the peg, checking linkages but couldn't find the problem. Seemed like it didn't have enough power to lift the peg or maybe gear teeth were missing.

In the end a friendly forum member sold me a second hand mechanism. I swapped it in and it works fine now.
I know this thread is getting old now but I have a similar problem and there is also another member who started a thread last month and who does not seem to have resolved it.

What was the "mechanism" that you changed? Was it the motor or the plastic parts that the door pin attaches to or the lock itself.

I have had the door card off and can see the door lock move OK when pressing "lock" with the remote but when unlocking the the pin seems to struggle to lift and I can only open the front passenger door by either pulling the pin up or using the internal handle.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 21:27   #4
tc
VOC Member

Still not rectified mine, but I've not really looked at it since. I thought mine was possible down to the wiring to the front door becoming partially disconnected (hence the windows all stopped working too). I kinda hoped that some sort of 'Reset' would get the central locking working again, sadly after disconnecting the battery and doing another reset that's supposed to reset the central locking it's still not working like it should. I should really get the door cards off on mine and work out which isn't working.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2013, 23:23   #5
flex won

It was the whole 'black box' door lock. I don't have the expertise to strip down any further than that.
flex won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 06:32   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

Its a common fault.....
Old Oct 14th, 2013, 21:09   #7
turboboy
Master Member

So, it's an ebay search for the complete motor then. As it's a common problem it's going to be pot luck that a used unit is going to last.

Will have to read up on how to remove it as I took the door card off and the mechanism cover and then decided that it looked like it was not going to be a quick job so just sprayed it with WD40 and put the door card back on - then took it off again as I realised I had left the cover off. At least I am now practised in door card removal.

Old Nov 1st, 2013, 08:45   #8
turboboy
Master Member

Default Central Locking Problem on one door.

Well, problem now resolved. Thought I should follow up and say that a used replacement door "motor" is now installed and working well.

Not the easiest of jobs because it is a bit of a fiddle to get the motor out and the whole job took about a couple of hours (including stopping to take some photographs which I will hopefully put up this week end with some more information).

It's one of those jobs that when you start is a bit daunting, particularly when the Haynes manual appears to be rather vague at the very point you cannot get sight of the component / screw or whatever you need to get at but when finished seems obvious.

Biggest problem was probably positioning the replacement. Haynes says you should remove the lower window channel screw to give a little more clearance. I couldn't find this screw and managed to get the old unit out without but positioning the replacement proved impossible because the channel needed to move out of the way by just millimeters. Finally realised that there was a "pop" rivet where the screw should be so had to drill that out and then find a suitable screw and nut to replace, which was a fiddle to fix.

If you are going to do this job yourself make sure you remember what you remove ready for the "replacement is a reversal of the removal" stage as it is easy (for me) to forget something. In my case the first time was when investigating the problem was forgetting to put the motor cover on before replacing the door card and the second time was not clipping the wiring back in position - but it all works fine now although I did check that the window did not catch on anything before putting my tools away.

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 18:29   #9
C70 98

Has anyone done this on a C70? It looks very different from the S/V models, the cable for instance is run through the inner metal panel, with no obvious way of clipping it off on the lock side, and very limited view and space to do anything. It was easy to clip it off from the door handle side, but then the wire prevents much of the wiggling to get the mechanism out, so would need to get the wire off on the other side as well.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 22:49   #10
C70 98

The answer is to strip everything off, and I mean everything, side window, the power winder and the full shebang out of the way, and it was easy enough to replace.
Just a LOT of work for a small part.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote