Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Wheel Question

Views : 942

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2023, 15:39   #1
anotheruser

Default Spare Wheel Question

I understand the space saver wheel fits in the car chassis and if you wanted a full size spare, you need the fake boot floor.

I'm sure I read that some v40s came with a slightly deeper spare wheel well but Volvo cheaped out and put the space saver in there anyway - is that correct?

Does anyone have the measurements of how much space I'd need for a full size spare?
Old May 17th, 2023, 09:17   #2
RS3100

No, Volvo didn't cheap out. Along with most if not all other manufacturers they deleted the spare wheel and supplied puncture sealant kits instead to save weight and allow them to quote better emissions figures. The spacesaver spare is an optional extra. According to one Volvo dealer who supplies the spacesaver kits online, "the temporary spare wheel will fit the V40 D2 engine (except. R-design & Cross Country) models as standard. However-to fit the temporary spare wheel in all other variants-the car must first be fitted with the Two-level load floor." I don't think it is possible to fit a full size spare wheel without losing significant boot space.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2023, 14:39   #3
Teribus13

Something I discovered is that there are apparently two different boot floor pressings, one designed to take a spare wheel, the other is more of a flat floor.

My 2017 V40 came with a space saver. I haven't felt the need to go to a full size spare even though I've had way too many punctures on my car.

A workmate of mine had a 2014 V40 T2 and wanted a spare wheel rather than relying on the inflator kit. He duly went and bought a wheel, jack and wheelbrace, only to discover that under the carpet, there was no recess in the boot floor to mount the spare wheel!

Also, for owners of MY 2018 and 2019 diesel V40s, these do have a spare wheel recess in the boot, but it is occupied by an AdBlue system.
Teribus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2023, 17:29   #4
RS3100

Hence the assertion in the Volvo dealer's sales page for the spare wheel kit that "the temporary spare wheel will fit the V40 D2 engine (except. R-design & Cross Country) models as standard. However-to fit the temporary spare wheel in all other variants-the car must first be fitted with the Two-level load floor." Yes, there are different boot floorpan pressings, which I believe are a necessary part of the type of exhaust and rear silencer assembly fitted to different models.

I have a 2017 T2 with the "hidden" tailpipe. The boot floor pan has a discernible wheel shaped pressing, and of course the bracket that doubles as a retainer for both the spare wheel and tool kit or the alternative gunk kit, but I wouldn't describe it as any more than a shallow indication of the wheel space. But I find that the temporary spare fits easily beneath the two level load floor, with room to store tools and other smaller items on the lower load floor (in reality a tray type pressing with various cubby holes that sits over and around the spare wheel) with a more robust and flat but foldable upper load floor. A benefit of the two level load floor for me is that with the rear seats folded down, the boot floor is level with the seat backs, but you can also remove the upper boot floor if you want more depth. Any load would then be pretty much resting on the wheel though.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote