Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603015

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:58   #1891
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
contact them , a fresh pair of eyes , explain your story and they can look up the history , at least they can explain what should have happened a week or so ago ...
Just spoken to a very helpful person at the dealer who dealt with all of the previous servicing prior to my purchase of the car. The EGR Cooler and hose were both replaced in December 2016 with the modified versions of these parts.

That puts the cooler being replaced around 66,000 miles or there about's and the car has done a further 40,000 miles since then. Of which 33,000 of those miles were done in just over 12 months, and the remaining 7,000 miles have been done in the since I bought the car in February.

I have e-mailed Volvo UK outlining my disappointment that the revised cooler is failing under 24 months and requiring costly replacement. And for someone who keeps their cars for 3 or 4 years, that I am likely to have to budget for at least another replacement of this part before I sell the car
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 15:49   #1892
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
Just spoken to a very helpful person at the dealer who dealt with all of the previous servicing prior to my purchase of the car. The EGR Cooler and hose were both replaced in December 2016 with the modified versions of these parts.

That puts the cooler being replaced around 66,000 miles or there about's and the car has done a further 40,000 miles since then. Of which 33,000 of those miles were done in just over 12 months, and the remaining 7,000 miles have been done in the since I bought the car in February.

I have e-mailed Volvo UK outlining my disappointment that the revised cooler is failing under 24 months and requiring costly replacement. And for someone who keeps their cars for 3 or 4 years, that I am likely to have to budget for at least another replacement of this part before I sell the car
My car (purchased new) had the EGR replacement work done in July 2016 at around 45k miles. At that time my impression was that this was the final fix (I had suffered no issues before then but others had and there had been different repairs at different times before the 'final fix' was implemented). No EGR issues since then and I am now nearly at 120k miles.

My argument to Volvo UK would be that:

1. This is not a consumable part
2. It is a part that they have had numerous problems with and have had to implement various modifications to try and rectify
3. Clearly the 'final fix' fitted to your car did not rectify the problem
4. Volvo have now resorted to an AdBlu solution (no pun intended) possibly to resolve the EGR issues they had with this early variant of the VEA engine.

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 15:59   #1893
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
My car (purchased new) had the EGR replacement work done in July 2016 at around 45k miles. At that time my impression was that this was the final fix (I had suffered no issues before then but others had and there had been different repairs at different times before the 'final fix' was implemented). No EGR issues since then and I am now nearly at 120k miles.
From my reading of this thread I think the biggest problem is that the EGR Cooler simply cannot deal with much Urban driving, which is why they implemented the AdBlu solution to make this part work as they intended. The vehicles which have the problems tend to be the vehicles which are doing modest mileage, with a mix of urban and extra urban driving.

Cars with higher mileages tend not to experience the same issues probably due to the fact that the vast majority of their driving is all extra urban driving.

I will wait and see what Volvo UK have to say on the matter.
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 10:41   #1894
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
From my reading of this thread I think the biggest problem is that the EGR Cooler simply cannot deal with much Urban driving, which is why they implemented the AdBlu solution to make this part work as they intended.
They implemented AdBlu as EGR alone simply doesn't work in the real world and there without SRG they simply would not meet the latest E6 regs.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 11:09   #1895
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
They implemented AdBlu as EGR alone simply doesn't work in the real world and there without SRG they simply would not meet the latest E6 regs.
Ad Blue is nothing what so ever to do with EGR, It is to comply with the new Euro 6 emission regulations , It has no effect at all on the engine it is sprayed in way downstream in the exhaust pipe after the particle filter/Catalytic converter to minimise the NOx before the gas exits the tailpipe .. ..
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 11:37   #1896
Craig S

Quote:
Ad Blue is nothing what so ever to do with EGR, It is to comply with the new Euro 6 emission regulations , It has no effect at all on the engine it is sprayed in way downstream in the exhaust pipe after the particle filter/Catalytic converter to minimise the NOx before the gas exits the tailpipe .. ..
The question then remains, why is it only the D4 181 bhp variant of the VEA engine which keeps having the EGR Cooler issues on such a regular basis, when mechanically there will be little difference between the 181 bhp and the 190 bhp variants of the 2.0 VEA D4 engine.
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 11:58   #1897
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The question then remains, why is it only the D4 181 bhp variant of the VEA engine which keeps having the EGR Cooler issues on such a regular basis, when mechanically there will be little difference between the 181 bhp and the 190 bhp variants of the 2.0 VEA D4 engine.
It Can ( not always) affect all the D4204T engines with the suffix T4 T5 T8 T9 T11 T14 T20

Also the D4164T
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 12:02   #1898
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Which is what I said wasnt it? The whole point of EGR is to reduce NOx, however in the real world it simply doesn't work sufficiently well to meet Euro 6D-temp hence having to use Ad Blue to further reduce the NOx.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 12:32   #1899
Zebster
Upstanding Member

AdBlue is used to reduce NOx emissions, so surely the dependence upon EGR would be greatly reduced (or even eliminated)?
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 13:36   #1900
jimboelliott

Quote:
I had the problem 3 times, from new, on a D2 engine S60 my16. They did the cooler job. It did it again. So got rid of it. Now have a D4 S90 my18.
jimboelliott is offline   Reply With Quote