Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with XC60 and Four-C

Views : 6210

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 07:38   #1
Overloaded

Default Towing with XC60 and Four-C

I am busy specifying a new XC60 (3 test drives to date to cover all the options). Although the handling of the standard suspension is very good, I tested the Four-C option and liked the stiffer setup offered by the Advanced setting (I currently have a Range Rover Sport with Active Suspension). When I discussed this option with the Volvo Importer, they advised against taking the Four-C option if I was planning to tow loads over 750kg. I typically tow around 1500kg for only about 100miles a trip, but I do this fairly regularly.

Has anyone any experience/information relating to handling with the Four-C system when towing moderate loads ? Thanks.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 20:02   #2
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

My dad's towed with the 4C in an New XC70... then went back to the XC90 until they offered the 70 without 4C... he now has a V70 D5 AWD and seems to be quite happy with that as it has proper self levelling.

His van is max of 1700kg (before anyone flames him for towing at about 95% he had it uprated to take into account the motor mover that's fitted, and has been towing for 25yrs with just about every sort of Volvo) and will rarely be at that weight as it doesn't head overseas as much as it did

Did you talk to VCUK? I only ask as I'm not sure where Leiden is.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 09:18   #3
Overloaded

Thanks for sharing your dads experience. Leiden is in The Netherlands. I talked to the Dutch Volvo Importer, and they said that they had also complaints from customers with XC60 and Four-C when towing (even one returning the car and demanding one without the system). I tried to raise this question with Volvo in Sweden, but so far they are very tight-lipped on the subject. They won't declare a problem with towing using Four-C, they simply state that they "recommend" the self-levelling option instead if you plan regular towing. So I guess I'll follow everyones advice and take the self-levelling option. The standard car handles very well without the Four-C anyway (I always found the XC90 had too much body-roll for me - and they've clearly sorted that in the XC60).
Cheers, Mark
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 17:27   #4
shimon340

interesting re 4C and towing.....

have you looked at the trailer stability option on the XC60?

That is a spin off of a joint project between volvocars and volvo trucks as the truck company now also has a trailer stability programme....same roots in the same R&D project.

I wonder what problems 4C causes when towing?
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 22:57   #5
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

INteresting that you thought the handling was pretty good - I test drove one at the weekend and fet it was a bit bouncy - didnt sit on the road as wel as a xc90. Not cure which suspension set up it had though. GUess a case of not pleasing all the folks all the time!

R.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 10:33   #6
Overloaded

I've had a few XC60 test-drives :

A 2.4D with 18" wheels and standard suspension - this had a bit too much body roll on quick lane-changing (the "elk-test") for me, but was certainly comfy.

A T6 with 19" wheels and (I think standard suspension - but maybe it's stiffened a little for the T6 ?), and this handled well - a good compromise: firm but comfy (passed the elk-test to my satisfaction)

A D5 with the 4C system and 19" wheels. Here you get 3 buttons, and subjectively: "Comfort" felt like the standard setup; "Sport" felt like the T6 setup and "Advanced" was clearly a stiffer setup again and handled very well.

In all this it's hard to be objective. I guess the wheels make quite a difference in themselves. And as I need to tow regularly I've gone for the T6, self-levelling suspension and 19" wheels (Also there's a heavy road-tax on diesels in Holland and I don't do enough mileage to make it worthwhile - and the T6 has an excellent torque profile).

The problems I heard from the Dutch importer re: the 4C and towing, were that with a heavy load the suspension could not cope with load change during acceleration and decceleration causing the rear to become a little bouncy until it settled. With 1500kg on a single axle load this could be alarming and even dangerous on uneven ground. The advice from them was clear - don't buy it if you want to tow big loads. I have emailed Volvo Sweden Technical Support on the matter, but as yet I've had no reply.

In anycase it's clear that's why there are so many models and options around - we all try to find the fit that suits us best. I'll let you know in January if I made the right choices.
Mark N
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 09:29   #7
jeffbo

When I ordered my old 06 XC70 I went for the lux version to get the 'benefit' of 4C suspension reading the 'load compensating' suspension as load levelling >>>>> it didn't and it was a real disappointment with the rear suspension bottoming with even a moderate load in the boot and a 1600 kg boat trailer with only 50kg noseweight. I even added rubber spring assistors to help but even then destroyed two jockey wheels, the hitch was so low
I spec'd my new 09 MY XC70 with the load levelling suspension and it does exactly what it says on the tin > even with a heavy load it only drops slightly at rest and after less than a mile it jacks itself up to the full ride height - - - so so much better
Jeff
jeffbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 12:22   #8
dodgyken
Master Member

V70 with 35mm lowering HEICO Springs - and 1800KG trailer - and a boot full of pit kit.

dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 18:49   #9
XCOvlov70
4x4 Convert

Collected 57 Plate XC70 SE LUX at beginning of December 08, hitched up to our caravan (1450kg) 3 days later and set off for Spain, covered 1700 miles in 7 days and no problems with drive.
(Small 'problems' with Indicators and Radio 'Glows' when everything is switched off, both 'problems' Volvo UK do not seem to know the answer to!!!)

Car has 'Self Levelling Suspension' which from past experience I would not be without, and also came with 'Active Chassis' 3 Settings!
1) 'Comfort' too sloppy for towing with for me.
2) 'Sport' much better ride with van on the back.
3) 'Advanced' struts on front suspension really 'BANG' if you inadvertently hit a small depression in the road!

So I stick with 'Sport' when towing.

Have fun!
XCOvlov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 19:33   #10
BobM

Default Towing concerns with 4-c on an xc70

Well I was pleased to read your note about your 'no problems' with your xc70 and 4-c, as there does seem to be considerable adverse comment. I am viewing a 2006 D5 SE Lux tomorrow which I was looking forward to buying to replace my Mercedes E 240 saloon, as I plan to do a lot more caravan towing this year, but now I'm not so sure, but obviously you have no problem!
I have tried to get some technical information on the subject from Volvo Customer Relations, but despite speaking to someone three times and promised a 'call back' this never came, so I concluded that they didn't want to know - this hasn't filled me with confidence either.
Does anyone else out there have a good story to tell about the xc70 with 4-c?
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
four-c, handling, towing, xc60