Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TOW BAR FOR S60 T5, Best Place to buy.

Views : 2988

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 07:21   #1
VOLVO TEE5

Default TOW BAR FOR S60 T5, Best Place to buy.

Hi everyone,

I am new to caravanning and I require a tow bar for my 2004 s60 t5,

I was wondering if you guys know of a good website or store that sells them at the best price etc, I am not too fussed if it is single or dual electrics TBH,

The caravan I intend to tow is 1100kg also do you think I should be using a stabiliser bar?

Thanks for all the help.
VOLVO TEE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 08:07   #2
Dunc
Dunc

For a towbar you can try Towsure They have stores in Birmingham, Sheffield, & Southampton, Also do mailorder and have a website for online ordering,
WWW.TOWSURE.COM.

As for stabilizer if its a newish van it may already have an alko stabilizer in the hitch, if not i would recommend fitting one, anything that aids stability has got to be worth it.

Dunc
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 08:14   #3
br1anuk

I got a Brink swan neck towbar for my V70. Brink is supposedly the Volvo own brand and unbelievably the cheapest place to get one was Halfords £97.

Brian.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 12:01   #4
VOLVO TEE5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
For a towbar you can try Towsure They have stores in Birmingham, Sheffield, & Southampton, Also do mailorder and have a website for online ordering,
WWW.TOWSURE.COM.

As for stabilizer if its a newish van it may already have an alko stabilizer in the hitch, if not i would recommend fitting one, anything that aids stability has got to be worth it.

Dunc
Thanks

Was this hard to fit and wire in? was yours twin or single electrics? and did you have to cut the bumper??

Thank you
VOLVO TEE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 12:12   #5
Dunc
Dunc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVO TEE5 View Post
Thanks

Was this hard to fit and wire in? was yours twin or single electrics? and did you have to cut the bumper??

Thank you
Sorry cant help you with this my car came with towbar already fitted.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 18:09   #6
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I fitted a Brink detachable to my S60 which I bought from Towequipe on the internet. It required a small cut in the bumper and I fitted a 13 pin socket. Was a straight forward job.
Jim
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 21:15   #7
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Towequipe sell on ebay.

Brink make the OEM Volvo towbars and Bosal or Winterhoff are also good makes.

As for electrics, I would fit 13 pin european socket as the UK is changing over in the near future, so it future proofs your car.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 00:52   #8
dan 244
Master Member

I have a genuine volvo s60 detatchable tow bar and 13pin plug in electrics with wireing loom extensions, for sale, it was new in 2006 and fitted to a 2002 car that was garaged and only done 8000 miles with in on mostly in the dry, it was removed earlier in the year when I sold the car. Towed caravan for about 200 miles, the ball has spent the rest of the time in the boot

It cost about 450 pounds when new I think with the electrics, It is relatively simple to fit, rear bumper and rear lights had to be removed, there is a cut to the black valance at the bottom of the bumper. If your car is silver and has the earlier type bumpers I have a mint bumper with the cut out already made, and it is much neeter and smaler that the one the instruction sugest, and as seen on dealer fitted ones. I did it myself and it is an exact fit around the tow bar and the electrics.

The car needs an softwear update and a relay to reconise the electrics and to not light the fog lights on the back of the car when the caravan is plugged in, cost about 25 pounds.

I am looking for 200 pounds for the tow bar and electrics and 75 pounds for the bumper, I will sell them seperatly.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 01:02   #9
dan 244
Master Member

Also with the stabilizer I would not tow without an alko hitch type stabilizer, we towed an Baily ranger 470/4 that I think weighed about 1200kg and you didnt even know it was there with the stabalizer fitted.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 23:18   #10
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Should point out in here that since 31st September this year it is now law to fit 13 pin electrics to cars under some new EU directive. I know this applies to new cars but not sure about older models. unfortunately mine was registered on the 1st October but Volvo supplied me wiht an adaptor that is nearly 18" long!! Going to have to cut it shorter and rewire it
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote