Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alignment Not Quite Right

Views : 867

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 20:41   #1
XC90KidNI

Default Alignment Not Quite Right

Hi All,

I've recently had my control arms (genuine Volvo parts), lower ball joints and two front tyres (Pirelli Scorpions - same as on rear) replaced. After having the tyres fitted, I had the car aligned (4 wheel alignment on a Corghi Machine at a reputable Tyre Centre). Since having that work completed, I've not been 100% satisfied with how the car is driving.

Initially, the steering wheel sat off to th right hand side and the car would drift to the left. After having the alignment completed, the wheel sits a little to the left whilst the car is going straight and has a tendency to go left when I let go of the steering wheel.

There's no noticeable clunks or abnormal noises from the suspension. I've had the alignment 'checked' at two separate tyre centres and they both indicated that the alignment was seemingly OK (also on Corghi machines).

I figured I was doing the right thing (genuine Volvo parts and quality/ branded tyres) but I'm a little at a loss thus far. I don't really want to drive the car as not to pull the tyres off it.

Anyone have an opinion on where I go from here?

Cheers
XC90KidNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 22:24   #2
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90KidNI View Post
Hi All,

I've recently had my control arms (genuine Volvo parts), lower ball joints and two front tyres (Pirelli Scorpions - same as on rear) replaced. After having the tyres fitted, I had the car aligned (4 wheel alignment on a Corghi Machine at a reputable Tyre Centre). Since having that work completed, I've not been 100% satisfied with how the car is driving.

Initially, the steering wheel sat off to th right hand side and the car would drift to the left. After having the alignment completed, the wheel sits a little to the left whilst the car is going straight and has a tendency to go left when I let go of the steering wheel.

There's no noticeable clunks or abnormal noises from the suspension. I've had the alignment 'checked' at two separate tyre centres and they both indicated that the alignment was seemingly OK (also on Corghi machines).

I figured I was doing the right thing (genuine Volvo parts and quality/ branded tyres) but I'm a little at a loss thus far. I don't really want to drive the car as not to pull the tyres off it.

Cheers
Maybe swap the tyres over side to side see if the tyres are doing it?
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 22:49   #3
Phil Croxley

How did the steering feel and handle prior to having the work done?
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 09:37   #4
XC90KidNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosos View Post
Maybe swap the tyres over side to side see if the tyres are doing it?
That was next on my list - thank you, will let you know how I get on.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 09:40   #5
XC90KidNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croxley View Post
How did the steering feel and handle prior to having the work done?
Generally quite good - it did pull quite hard left under braking but the installation of the genuine control arms solved that problem (bad bushes) - no issues under braking now but floating left under ‘normal’ driving conditions. It’s definitely not road camber affecting the steering either.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 13:48   #6
XC90KidNI

Quote:
That was next on my list - thank you, will let you know how I get on.
So seemingly the tyres are good - swapped them over left to right and the symptoms persist
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 14:48   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers
Are all the tyre pressure's okay?

If so, it sounds like they haven't aligned it properly.

If it was done right, the steering should be perfectly central for a start, and when central, the car should be going perfectly straight on a flat road. There should be no "off central" steering or pulling in any direction.

I'd bring it back to them and tell them you aren't happy, get them to check over it properly with a print-out ideally.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 18th, 2024 at 14:52.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 16:15   #8
XC90KidNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Are all the tyre pressure's okay?

If so, it sounds like they haven't aligned it properly.

If it was done right, the steering should be perfectly central for a start, and when central, the car should be going perfectly straight on a flat road. There should be no "off central" steering or pulling in any direction.

I'd bring it back to them and tell them you aren't happy, get them to check over it properly with a print-out ideally.
Agree Kev - Car has been in multiple places being aligned at this stage - 2 of which supplied print outs of the readings - all within tolerance etc.

Tyre pressures all good - checked those multiple times over the last week. All maintaining the same pressure. I usually run at 39PSI all round.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 17:52   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 16:05   #10
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

You dont say what age of car you have, but there is at least 2 sets of settings for the XC90, it changes in MY2009, and maybe again later ... I had a really iff 4 wheel tracking done, and when I complained they checked with the VIN and had used the earlier setting, redone with the setting correct for my MY and the car drove perfectly, the garage blamed my private REG as being the reason, my answer to that was they couldn't be ar$ed checking and guessed incorrectly.

Worth checking.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:

Tags
alignment, pulling, steering, tyres