Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Kwik Fit Mobil1?

Views : 2762

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 00:04   #1
flint

Default Kwik Fit Mobil1?

Hi
Just bought an 02 S60 D5 SE with 56K on clock.
Have heard that Kwik Fit do cheap oil changes using Mobil1 so went along to speak to a guy in KF.
The Mob1 oil on ther computer is recommended upgrade oil for the car over and above a standard semi syn. It meets the required ACEA B4 stipulated in the cars hanbdbook and definately is the real deal supplied in silver 45 gal drums. The only reservation I have about going for it is that its not Mob1 diesel. They obviously buy the standard Mob1 in bulk and use it in both petrol and diesel cars. As this oil is the non deisel Mob1 variety would it be ok for my S60 D5?
Anyone with any info on this as the oil/filter changes at KF are far cheaper than anything you could do yourself using full syn. £35!
Im planning on changing the oil every 6K.
Would this be ok?
What viscosity would be best?
flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 00:28   #2
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
Hi
Have heard that Kwik Fit do cheap oil changes using Mobil1 so went along to speak to a guy in KF.
The Mob1 oil on ther computer is recommended upgrade oil for the car over and above a standard semi syn. It meets the required ACEA B4 stipulated in the cars hanbdbook and definately is the real deal supplied in silver 45 gal drums. The only reservation I have about going for it is that its not Mob1 diesel. They obviously buy the standard Mob1 in bulk and use it in both petrol and diesel cars. As this oil is the non deisel Mob1 variety would it be ok for my S60 D5?
Anyone with any info on this as the oil/filter changes at KF are far cheaper than anything you could do yourself using full syn. £35!
Would this be ok?
Modern diesels all (including your D5) seem to recommend duel petrol/diesel oils. Standard ? Mobil 1 isn't a bad oil but it's not the best either, Mobil themselves and other several other manufacturers make even better ones now.

My reservation about KF would be how do they remove the oil? These cheap oil change guys often use a vacum type machine and suck it out through the oil filler. Very bad practice in my opinion as the dirtiest oil from the sump is going to be pulled up into the body of the engine and some dirty oil is going to be left behind. I'd insist on them doing it the proper way if it was my engine, unless you don't plan to keep it long that is.

All the best.
Roy
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:47   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I never new that Kwik Fit still did oil changes as it is such along time since I was in any of there branches. I remember years ago it was almost as cheap to get them to change the oil and filter as it was at home.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 17:04   #4
hawaiianblue

I beleive most modern synthetic oils are dual use, with older technology oils the diesel variant was slightly thicker to cope with the extra heat, it also had more detergent in it.

The detergent does no harm to petrol engines, so they just leave it in the petrol oils. Providing the oil meets or exceeds the correct AECA rating then it's fine.

Most of the vacume extraction systems i've seen suck the oil from the dipstick tube, which goes straight to the sump. But personally i prefer to drain the oil, this tends to wash out any swarf etc thats left in the sump, but saying that there shouldnt be a lot of muck left in the bottom of a good engine.

It is usually really cheap to get an oil and filter changed at one of the fast fit centres, they buy the oil in 50gal drums, so it only costs them about £2 a litre at most.
hawaiianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 18:01   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Hi
Would this be ok?
hi
TBH for what it costs for the extra pennies i would go with whats recommended i use 10- 40 in mine and replace it every 8 months, but then again i plan to keep my 850 tdi till it drops.
mike
850 tdi
p box fitted
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 18:55   #6
Viper_7
Premier Member

My tip of the day is to replace the sump plug after draining before putting the new oil in......

Yes have done that before.....
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 20:41   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

My tip of the day is to use a reusable filter magnet to get extra crud out of the oil. They're on special offer at the moment. See....

http://www.agriemach.com/default.php...cea09a061fd6ff

Roy
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 15:19   #8
BillB
VOC Member

I use Castrol GTD Magnatec in the V70 Tdi (every 10k) with Volvo filters. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 17:42   #9
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi
Would this be ok?
There isn't just one flavour of Mobil 1, so which particular one are KF selling ?

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 23:19   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

An update on my tip about the reusable filter magnet....It won't fit on a D5 filter as it's aluminium, not steel, unfortunatly. So mine will have to go on the Defender not the XC90.

Roy