Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60: How to fit the safety grille?

Views : 817

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 16:00   #1
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Default XC60: How to fit the safety grille?

Ok, so I just bought the Volvo safety grille and want to be able to fit it.

The instructions are in the car manual, but they're (probably intentionally) vague. They mention removing the existing plastic roof mountings and replacing them with the metal ones provided.

Has anyone got any advice about how exactly to do this? Do I just yank at the things with a pair of beefy pliers until it comes out or lever it out with a flattie screwdriver or what?

There's a few parts in there (I have no idea what those semi-rigid plastic tubes are for).

Any advice would be extremely helpful. I can't find anything online about this for the newer XC60.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 16:39   #2
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I have the safety grille but on the XC90. I am afraid that going by your description it seems the XC60 one is a bit different to mine. Mine connects into the roof in two places and then connects at the bottom to the rear most lashing eyes.

One interesting point on the XC90 one at least is that it is possible to fit it in 2 different positions. One position allows the luggage blind to also be fitted, the other position does not. This is achieved by choosing one of two different brackets for the connection to the roof.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 17:52   #3
gaby
Premier Member

Since the XC60 doesn't (can't) have 3 seat rows, the grille could be foldable up to the ceiling.
If this is so, fiting it is probably different from the grille for the XC90.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 18:30   #4
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I had to remove one of those plastic trims last year, as my folding cargo net got jammed in the housing, V90 but is the same part as was in my XC60. I used a trim removal tool and it came out easily, a broad flat bladed knife or a filling knife should do. Put something under the blade to protect the roof lining and carefully prise the trim as you work your way around. Probably easiest to start at the bottom edge.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 16:45   #5
Stubbo

I just did this on my XC60.
1. Find a tool that is fairly flat that you can slide under the plastic trim on each side of the roof. There are four clips (two top, two bottom) that need to be pushed outwards to unclip from the headlining. Slide the tool in at front or rear and have a prod about towards each of the long sides to release the clips. A smooth flat tool will avoid damaging the headlining. I found the front pair of clips easier to release and then a bit of wiggling and pushing forwards managed to get the trim off.

2. Offer up the grille and make sure you have it the right way around. Check the shape of the fixing pad to get the right metal plate for the side you start with. The big hole goes forward.

3. Fitting the metal plates: Select one of the screws with the plastic tube. Fit this through the large hole from the rear. You will notice there are a couple of flats on it, these fit in the groove in the metal plate. The tube is so you can twiddle it into the right position. Don't remove the tube yet.
Place the metal plate in position and as you do so, use the plastic tube to get the head of the screw at the back behind the metal channel in the roof of the car. I found it easiest to get the screw positioned in the clamp plate first, then carefully push it back out of the slot and get it behind the metal in the roof, as I put the plate in position.

4. Once the plate is in, now the tricky bit. Unscrew the plastic tube and you will be left with the threaded part poking through the metal plate from behind. It should be stopped from rotating by the groove in the metal plate. Select a large nut from the bag and gently thread it on to the screw. You can't push it much because it will lift the screw our of the slot and allow it to turn. Just get it touching and turn slowly until the threads catch. Then you can tighten up with the allen key. Just do it loosely to start with.

5. When you have done the same on the other side, get the grille in position and use the two smaller allen screws to fix it on to the metal plate. These smaller threaded holes in the metal plate should be to the rear of the car. The metal plates may need to move a little bit to get them in the right position.

6. Tighten up the plate fixing nuts and then the smaller set screws. Job done! You should be able to raise and lower the grille - if not, must be wrong way round!
Stubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 10:28   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Identical to installation on XC40, but yeah, somewhat different to XC90, due to 3rd row.

I found the online instruction quite helpful and detailed.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...20(18-)%202018

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 14:09   #7
IguanaMAM
On My Second Volvo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
Ok, so I just bought the Volvo safety grille and want to be able to fit it.

The instructions are in the car manual, but they're (probably intentionally) vague. They mention removing the existing plastic roof mountings and replacing them with the metal ones provided.

Has anyone got any advice about how exactly to do this? Do I just yank at the things with a pair of beefy pliers until it comes out or lever it out with a flattie screwdriver or what?

There's a few parts in there (I have no idea what those semi-rigid plastic tubes are for).

Any advice would be extremely helpful. I can't find anything online about this for the newer XC60.
Hi

I have just installed mine into my V90 and simply got hold of the plastic and pulled - off it came with no resistance.

As a tip... Install the unit as if it were in it's deployed state and not folded into the roof.

Next:.....
Now: V90 T4 Momentum (MY19) | Bright Silver | Privacy Glass | OEM Retro Reverse Camera | OEM Dog Guard!
Previous: XC60 T5 AWD Momentum (MY19) | Osmium Grey
IguanaMAM is offline   Reply With Quote