Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Going from V90 to V60?

Views : 3569

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 08:39   #1
osbourne one-nil

Default Going from V90 to V60?

My lease is up in July on my V90 and, other than the appalling voice recognition software (me "take me to Gateshead"...Volvo "searching music and radio"), I've been very happy with it. However, I don't really need such a big car these days and would like to save a bit of money and go for a V60.

Obvious differences apart, would it be a downgrade in terms of the things I like about Volvo, such as the build quality and the cabin? I'm guessing in those terms they're identical?

I have looked inside them when at the dealers for a service and all seemed great, and I know I should again, but I can't be bothered and it's a 90 mile round trip to my nearest one!
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 09:09   #2
RonniDK

I have only driven V60s as loaners, but they have always seemed more solid to me. Maybe because it's a volume model or because it's shorter - I don't know why, but that's the impression I got.

Size-wise, well you get what you see Cabin is definitely more snug, but if you and your family fit, shouldn't be an issue.
RonniDK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RonniDK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 09:33   #3
osbourne one-nil

That sounds promising! I have lots of kids...4 that I know of...but three are grown up so most of the time it'll just be three in the car. A V90 seems silly for that. As long as the materials are the same and the door thuds when you shut it, I'd be happy!
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 09:41   #4
techwatcher
Master Member

Build quality should be the same but you may want to look at the quality of materials used in the cabin of both cars.

I have no experience of the 'V' range but when we compared an XC60 to an XC40 it was evident from the cabin materials where some of the savings had been made. We thought at the time that you don't save £10000 on the starting price of a range just by making a car shorter, and there's a similar price difference between new V60s and V90s.
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 11:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
My lease is up in July on my V90 and, other than the appalling voice recognition software (me "take me to Gateshead"...Volvo "searching music and radio"), I've been very happy with it. However, I don't really need such a big car these days and would like to save a bit of money and go for a V60.

Obvious differences apart, would it be a downgrade in terms of the things I like about Volvo, such as the build quality and the cabin? I'm guessing in those terms they're identical?

I have looked inside them when at the dealers for a service and all seemed great, and I know I should again, but I can't be bothered and it's a 90 mile round trip to my nearest one!
All volvos share the same quality and parts even .. its just minor changes in size and shape ...
have you got the latest voice software , and have you done the voice training if you have an "odd" accent? It usualy works fine ..
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 15:23   #6
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:

I have no issues regarding the quality of build of my V60. Our son-in-law is thinking of changing from a V90 to V60.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 16:33   #7
osbourne one-nil

Thanks - that sounds encouraging. The dealer says the quality is identical, just a slightly more compact form and I'm fine with the size.

I've got all the updates and no particular accent to speak of - just think it sometimes doesn't pay attention!
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 20:40   #8
amadan

Quote:
Thanks - that sounds encouraging. The dealer says the quality is identical, just a slightly more compact form and I'm fine with the size.

I've got all the updates and no particular accent to speak of - just think it sometimes doesn't pay attention!
I’ve not driven a 90 but my V60 is not holding up well. Less than 10 months and 3200ish miles and it’s already been in the dealer for multiple electrics glitches and the charging port not letting go of the charger.

Also there’s a rattle from the intellisafe cluster, the arm rest on the drivers door creaks and the drivers seatbelt adjuster rattles unless it’s on the top setting.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amadan For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 08:20   #9
Fursty Ferret

Having had both I'd say that the V60 is the better car. Feels much more solid and quieter on the motorway.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 10:18   #10
osbourne one-nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
I’ve not driven a 90 but my V60 is not holding up well. Less than 10 months and 3200ish miles and it’s already been in the dealer for multiple electrics glitches and the charging port not letting go of the charger.

Also there’s a rattle from the intellisafe cluster, the arm rest on the drivers door creaks and the drivers seatbelt adjuster rattles unless it’s on the top setting.
Sounds like you've got a duff one but I'll bear it in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Having had both I'd say that the V60 is the better car. Feels much more solid and quieter on the motorway.
Another encouraging review. It's a shame lots of the things that come standard on the V90 are optional extras on the V60 but I guess that's all part of the lower initial cost.

I've been thinking about the B4 spec which I guess is the normal choice?