Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 front exhaust silencer

Views : 457

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:50   #1
PastelCo

Default 740 front exhaust silencer

My front exhaust silencer has blown another hole and it's now unfortunately beyond saving. Does anyone have one laying around? I'll be able to pick it up depending on location. Will pay via cash if close. Thank you for your time
PastelCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 12:44   #2
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastelco View Post
my front exhaust silencer has blown another hole and it's now unfortunately beyond saving. Does anyone have one laying around? I'll be able to pick it up depending on location. Will pay via cash if close. Thank you for your time
i have a good used one off a 940 if its the same, your for free if you collect it from my home in oldham. OR ANYONE ELSE THAT WANTS IT.

Last edited by 827Roverman; Feb 14th, 2021 at 12:57.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 14:01   #3
PastelCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
i have a good used one off a 940 if its the same, your for free if you collect it from my home in oldham. OR ANYONE ELSE THAT WANTS IT.
Would it be possible to send me some pics so I can compare? My Email is reanderson101@gmail.com
PastelCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 14:54   #4
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastelCo View Post
Would it be possible to send me some pics so I can compare? My Email is reanderson101@gmail.com
Will do, but it will be TUES/WED, David.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 00:29   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastelCo View Post
My front exhaust silencer has blown another hole and it's now unfortunately beyond saving. Does anyone have one laying around? I'll be able to pick it up depending on location. Will pay via cash if close. Thank you for your time
What year, engine code and transmission is your 740? I happen to know Davids system had a cat on it and the front boxes are different on cat-equipped cars.

Also on some auto 740s, the exhaust was different to manual ones, or put another way, the manual system could at times be different to the auto ones.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 13:25   #6
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Will do, but it will be TUES/WED, David.
Have emailed you photo's, but here it is, its been stood in my garage a few years but its quite solid, a bit of rust on pipe welds to box which will wire brush off, I got it off Steve Quinn a few years ago for a spare, Steve said it was for a 940,, if you don't want it, it may be of use to someone else, Its for FREE, but will have to be collected from my home in OLDHAM OL9. David.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6005589.jpg (372.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg S6005590.jpg (395.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg S6005591.jpg (378.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg S6005592.jpg (212.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg S6005593.jpg (251.4 KB, 3 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 13:53   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Have emailed you photo's, but here it is, its been stood in my garage a few years but its quite solid, a bit of rust on pipe welds to box which will wire brush off, I got it off Steve Quinn a few years ago for a spare, Steve said it was for a 940,, if you don't want it, it may be of use to someone else, Its for FREE, but will have to be collected from my home in OLDHAM OL9. David.
That's the middle box David, sits just in front of the axle. This is a typical 740 system to ~1989 :

http://webcat.klarius.eu/catalogue/images/uk/960430.png

This is an 89-on, non-cat system :

http://webcat.klarius.eu/catalogue/images/uk/960097.png

Finally the 1989-on cat system (will likely have the "LambdaSond" badge on the grille if so) :

http://webcat.klarius.eu/catalogue/images/uk/960142.png

A typical non-turbo 940 system :

http://webcat.klarius.eu/catalogue/images/uk/960085.png

and finally, a typical 940 turbo system :

http://webcat.klarius.eu/catalogue/images/uk/960087.png

There are variations on them, depending on exact model and year, some parts are common to several models, others unique to one model, hence my question to the OP above about the year, engine code etc.

***EDIT*** For some reason the images won't show on the forum, hence only links provided.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Feb 16th, 2021 at 13:57.
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: