Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are Volvo dealers a thing of the past ??

Views : 1340

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 20:02   #1
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Default Are Volvo dealers a thing of the past ??

Has anyone seen the Volvo press release today which introduces the Volvo C40 recharge. In the video it states that all Volvos electric range will be online ordering only and as all Volvos will be electric by 2030, then it looks like you won’t be able to buy a new car from a dealer. When I had my car serviced in December I was talking to the salesman about the XC40 recharge and he said they were getting one in March for demonstration but the car would have to be ordered online. He said it didn’t look good for Volvo dealers. So it looks like that’s the way Volvo are going like Tesla and Polestar.
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 20:14   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I will not be sad to see the back of my dealership who took over Mill Volvo and spoilt a good customer/dealer relationship, the local people are ok but having to go through head office every time you want to book in or need anything is really time consuming, irritating and off putting.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 20:16   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I asked my contact today. Not had a reply yet, so maybe he has already taken his leave!

I watched most of the 30min presentation but it was a bit heavy on people looking scandi chic in austere looking buildings and a bit light on detail. Bit at the end of the C40 was of some interest.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 20:25   #4
DanH

Is there any chance whatsoever that, with the unnecessary middle man taken out of the picture, some of that money will be passed on as a saving to the consumer.

I'm not saying all - that would be unrealistic. I'm saying any.
DanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2021, 21:14   #5
Whiterdesign
Master Member

The only problem I can see is that the quoted price will be the price you pay, your old car ,if part-exchanged, will be at book price, so no deals available. This is what’s happening with Tesla and Polestar.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 09:22   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

I'm sure all the dealers that have recently been forced to upgrade their showrooms will be delighted.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 09:45   #7
jonnyu

This is a trend not only from Volvo but from all the brands.
If you take a look to what happened during the pandemic, the auto brands had incredible losses and that made them rethink the way that they are selling. Dealers worked until today but the future will be 1 big brand representation in a major city as Tesla is already doing that will deliver, show and do the servicing to the cars. We as consumers will profit from this because you are removing a middleman that profits with high margins both the service and the selling of the car.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 10:56   #8
Steve XC60
Structural member

If - and it's a big IF - anyone ever manages to create a self-driving vehicle that can function without a human operator in a legally and socially acceptable manner, in the vast majority of different weather and road conditions, the whole auto industry will be turned on its head. It's partly this threat that causes auto manufacturers to explore different ways to distribute their products.
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 19:54   #9
warwick

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to have a dealer to take the car back to if (or more than likely when) there is a problem no matter how small.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 20:01   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
Call me old fashioned but I prefer to have a dealer to take the car back to if (or more than likely when) there is a problem no matter how small.
And according to the presentation on Tuesday that will continue as now. A local service centre will look after all aftersales.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote