Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SAS reading 180 degrees out

Views : 2348

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 01:20   #1
dambat

Default SAS reading 180 degrees out

Hi All,

My '08 XC90 DSTC steering angle sensor is reading 180 degrees to the left. I received the car like this. This is throwing BCM codes BCM0111 and BCM-A031, both of which relate to plausibility of SAS. My SAS is not logging any error codes, and it calibrates OK through the BCM advanced module with zero degrees offset.

Having pulled the SAS, I cannot find any way in which this can be installed 180 degrees out, but is there something simple I am missing before I spend $500 on a new SAS?

Thanks
Damien

Last edited by dambat; Oct 17th, 2018 at 01:38.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 09:44   #2
dambat

This is fixed, but not easy. You need to set the steering angle to zero using Vida with the steering wheel off (naturally generating a tonne of codes), pull the angle sensor apart from the contact reel, reset the contact reel, then pull the angle sensor apart to move the reel through 180 degrees without actuating the angular detector. You can then put everything back together and pray that it all works. Took me 3 tries.
The Following User Says Thank You to dambat For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 15:58   #3
Piers1956

Default Upside down!

Interesting to find this thread. I was doing a google search for SAS 180 degrees out and picked it up.

I have a 2006 V70 D5 and the SAS was dodgy when I bought it. Drive a couple of hundred miles with no problems but couldn't cope with a tight left hand turn....the kind you do in a tight situation not normal driving. No other fault.

Being a tight ass I plumbed for a nice second hand unit to prove to myself that it was the SAS at fault.

Fitted yesterday with just the usual two and a half turns to centre it and parked on a wet grass surface I powered from lock to lock several times with no issues.

Then the road test. Well I didn't make 200 yards before the fairy lights came on again.

Plugged my scanner in and dead ahead was showing exactly 180 degrees.

So I guess I could spend eternity with the steering wheel on upside down, I have tried it....or get a complete idiots guide on ripping it to bits and restoring 180 degrees round.

Just as a check I put the original unit back on and took an extra turn to replicate the second unit but this was now 360 degrees out so no tight turns. Sure enough, in a straight line on came the lights.

Any help in the rescue would be appreciated.

Regards

Jim (New Member)
Piers1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piers1956 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 18:38   #4
oragex
Premier Member

I talk here a little about this sensor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idmPhHNNixI
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 09:48   #5
Piers1956

Oragex, thanks for your response. I had actually seen this on youtube along with a few others. Nobody really answers the 180 degree question so I'll have a go myself.

Dambat gave me the clues, so I intend getting both units on the table and taking them back alternately to find the reason for the anomaly.

i'll post findings later if it works.
Piers1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piers1956 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 22:31   #6
XCMatt

Hi Jim,

Any updates on this? I have the exact same issue of being 180 out but as far as I can tell the SAS is working correctly
XCMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2020, 03:03   #7
dambat

I did the fix around 2 years ago and the SAS has been faultless since then.

To do this you set it at 0 degrees using VIDA (steering wheel off), remove it from the car (without rotating it), pull the back off, and put it back together such that it is correctly orientated (at 0 deg) with respect to the steering wheel.

I don't know why these sensors go 180 degrees out. My explanation was (since I bought it like this) that someone had pulled it to clean the optical sensors, then put it back together wrongly.

Damien
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 21:06   #8
Lahw

Default 180 degree SAS

Hi

I have a similar situation 180 degrees and have taken the SAS apart from the clock spring ( which I assume works ok as all steering angle functions works) and I only have a communication from BCM to SAS due to delay in response and also when driving over 50 km the fault code for a anto skid kicke in. So I think that it is the SAS.

So reading your response and having split and assembled 5 times as seems to me that there is really only one way to put it together with arrowa and the slit being aligned, and securing the spribg clock is in neutral with 2,5 turns fto bothe directions ….

So could you please explain wgar you mean about setting to zero degrees ? As I see it there is simply only one way to assemble this SAS by aligning arrows and ensuring the split it in the mittel……

Desperate to understand how to actually tune this SAS a half circle …and plug it together with the spring clock….

Car a V70 2005 , DSTC….I have had this car from brand new and keept it as I have two brothers being Mechanics with their own garage…They just think I could buy a new SAS and clock spring ….but wauw in Denmark such an operation would be app $1500 …
Lahw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 23:09   #9
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Have you used VIDA to set the SAS to zero before you take it apart and reinstall it?

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote