Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking about getting a <6 year old S40

Views : 2071

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2012, 00:09   #21
MikeV50SELUX

CR.
Yes the 2.0l seems is rare, I paid £6999 for mine, 58 plate 60k FVSH, 6 months ago.
MikeV50SELUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 00:12   #22
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV50SELUX View Post
CR.
Yes the 2.0l seems is rare, I paid £6999 for mine, 58 plate 60k FVSH, 6 months ago.
What spec is it?

I'm looking up to £9k for a R Design in Blue-Black-Gunmetal Grey.

I'm tempted by the D5 (it is an astonishing engine) but diesel serving costs makes the want the 2L petrol.

First time I've bought a car, and it is extremely irritating finding out the perfect spec you want sold the morning before you call
Electronix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 00:17   #23
MikeV50SELUX

It's the SE Lux which i think only comes with the 2.0 petrol or 2.0 diesel engine. Has most things, electric heated seats, compass, cruise, leather, auto wipers etc.
MikeV50SELUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:31   #24
Roger Breaker

You had any luck with one yet? Just to add my 2p worth, I'd loved the S40's since they first came out, and really fell for the 04-on models, so when i'd ran my '99 A4 into the ground last year at this time, I went looking to see what I could afford.
Doing only around 10,000m a year (sometimes as low as 6-7000) I was specifically after a petrol, as my 1.8 A4 had served me very well. I was very pleased to find that a high mile facelift model was just about in my price range, so after a bit of research on here I went hunting.
My particular example (a 58 plate 2.0 R-Design in black) came from Car Giant at Willesden. Now, I hear a lot of horror stories about these places, but if you know what the car should be worth, and you take a ruddy good look around it and a look through the history, I don't really see how you can go wrong.
Mine had done 93,000, which was a little high for me but as it was still 6 months away from its very first MOT it looked like it might suit me down to the ground. So I went for it, and I'm glad I did (so far, at least!). Bits that I had to sort on mine were a set of R Design mats (I notice that nearly all of Car Giant's R Designs have these fitted still, but I guess mine were removed by the previous owner or were in a mess), and I fitted a new centre console trim as mine was cracked where a phone had been fitted (this showed-up on the photos of the car on their iPhone app, but really wasn't too bad, it would've just annoyed me if I'd have kept it!). Also, there was some kerb damage on the rims (Midir 18", love them!), although I didn't realise that being diamond cut they're a bit more complicated/expensive/annoying to repair, so they've been left at the moment but do spoil the look of the car a bit, so I'm looking into bodging them short term. Other than that, I absolutely love it! Great ride, I wouldn't say it's too harsh despite sports suspension and 18"ers.
As we speak it's in for it's 100,000m service, so we'll see what that throws up. It's the first Main Dealer service I've ever shelled-out for, but the quote wasn't far off our local indy's, and it includes a years roadside and homestart apparently, and computer updates so I'm giving it a whirl as the car already has fVsh. Plus I'm getting to try out a 61 plate courtesy D3 C30 Geartronic!
Anyway, am I still running on?! All I wanted to know was, did you source a 2.0petrol S40 yet?! ;-)
Roger Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 16:18   #25
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Breaker View Post
You had any luck with one yet? Just to add my 2p worth, I'd loved the S40's since they first came out, and really fell for the 04-on models, so when i'd ran my '99 A4 into the ground last year at this time, I went looking to see what I could afford.
Doing only around 10,000m a year (sometimes as low as 6-7000) I was specifically after a petrol, as my 1.8 A4 had served me very well. I was very pleased to find that a high mile facelift model was just about in my price range, so after a bit of research on here I went hunting.
My particular example (a 58 plate 2.0 R-Design in black) came from Car Giant at Willesden. Now, I hear a lot of horror stories about these places, but if you know what the car should be worth, and you take a ruddy good look around it and a look through the history, I don't really see how you can go wrong.
Mine had done 93,000, which was a little high for me but as it was still 6 months away from its very first MOT it looked like it might suit me down to the ground. So I went for it, and I'm glad I did (so far, at least!). Bits that I had to sort on mine were a set of R Design mats (I notice that nearly all of Car Giant's R Designs have these fitted still, but I guess mine were removed by the previous owner or were in a mess), and I fitted a new centre console trim as mine was cracked where a phone had been fitted (this showed-up on the photos of the car on their iPhone app, but really wasn't too bad, it would've just annoyed me if I'd have kept it!). Also, there was some kerb damage on the rims (Midir 18", love them!), although I didn't realise that being diamond cut they're a bit more complicated/expensive/annoying to repair, so they've been left at the moment but do spoil the look of the car a bit, so I'm looking into bodging them short term. Other than that, I absolutely love it! Great ride, I wouldn't say it's too harsh despite sports suspension and 18"ers.
As we speak it's in for it's 100,000m service, so we'll see what that throws up. It's the first Main Dealer service I've ever shelled-out for, but the quote wasn't far off our local indy's, and it includes a years roadside and homestart apparently, and computer updates so I'm giving it a whirl as the car already has fVsh. Plus I'm getting to try out a 61 plate courtesy D3 C30 Geartronic!
Anyway, am I still running on?! All I wanted to know was, did you source a 2.0petrol S40 yet?! ;-)

I bought a V50 D5 SE Lux at auction instead.

There was a 2L petrol R Design in blue with 75k on the clock IIRC going that day as well. No idea what it went for tho.

I had kinda swung for the V50 for the extra carrying ability.
Electronix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 17:03   #26
Roger Breaker

Nice! I've heard nothing but good things about the D5. Yeah, I must admit the S40 boot doesn't gobble up oversize items like my A4 did, but then again it's in a completely different size class. Glad you've found one, happy motoring!
Roger Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote