Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1070348

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2017, 22:26   #12211
Jebus
VOC Member

Pretty sure they will fit ok, cheaper than the standard 205/50/16 as well.

Yesterday and today was the first proper run out in the T4 since I bought it, Aberdeen to Edinburgh for Truckfest, and the T4 behaved very well, ok it used nearly 3/4 of a tank and I behaved...mostly, but the difference from my 1.8 Vectra was massive, power when you want it is bloody good!

With the BSR intake and stainless cat-back it wasn't really a quiet run down, might look at a DB killer for the exhaust for longer runs in the future, the only issue was since I still need to wiggle the exhaust a bit it slipped and started to singe the bumper but no real harm done.

Now on the subject of power and behaving The A90 if any of you have driven it, is the main "motorway from Edinburgh to Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and beyond the east cost, in reality it is dual-carriageway with many junctions from minor roads joining it, they are just t junctions, no sliproads and rarely even marked, so you do need to pay attention.

The only real misbehaving I did was when a Type R pulled out from one of those said junctions and I pulled to right lane to pass as you do, but the wee guy vetec'ed his hardest, you know rather than pay attention, get up to speed, then start overtaking etc as i'm just passing alongside had pretty much gotten to 70, don't think he liked the old volvo coming past, so I have a practical demonstration what around 50% more torque at half the revs will do and put my foot down.....he gave up after about 15 seconds and a couple car lengths, very childish, stupid but it was fun, back down to a nice legal cruise after than...never saw it again lol

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:44   #12212
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post

might look at a DB killer for the exhaust for longer runs in the future

The A90 if any of you have driven it, is the main "motorway from Edinburgh to Perth, Dundee, Aberdeen and beyond the east cost, in reality it is dual-carriageway with many junctions from minor roads joining it, they are just t junctions, no sliproads and rarely even marked, so you do need to pay attention.
I drove for tens of thousands of miles all over the country and didn't find the exhaust loud at all (but then I daily drove a BMW E36 with a straight pipe and no silencers for 2 years) A second silencer would quieten it right down though. It was a noticeably louder system than the twin silencer JT Tuning system I have now.

I went along that road in my T4 when I went up to Aberdeen. Thank god I had cruise control on that 7 hour trip.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 18:00   #12213
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Got some more orange at the end ignore last week so after a light sand and panel wipe I got that red covered, a very very slight colour difference but hardly noticeable unless you literally have your face 2 inches from the wing, much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0670.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0669.jpg (39.8 KB, 9 views)
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 18:54   #12214
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Just heard from my other half that she got the brakes done up. 800 forkin Euros for 4 new discs, pads, front brake hoses and both rear calipers!
Not read the receipt yet, as I suspect they did a few other jobs to the rear suspension, as it was going clunk over bumps.

The main cam belt job will need doing at the end of the year, although they only quoted 500 Euros for that job, which is not too bad, as it includes a new water pump, tensioner, both belts and coolant.

Looks like Clarkey works for Easy Jet! I would try painting the wheels dayglo green next.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 7th, 2017 at 18:58.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 19:00   #12215
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
I drove for tens of thousands of miles all over the country and didn't find the exhaust loud at all (but then I daily drove a BMW E36 with a straight pipe and no silencers for 2 years) A second silencer would quieten it right down though. It was a noticeably louder system than the twin silencer JT Tuning system I have now.

I went along that road in my T4 when I went up to Aberdeen. Thank god I had cruise control on that 7 hour trip.
It is a rather dull drive, and going to be worse with the average speed cameras

I think i notice it being loud since first car I have had that has had anything other than a stock exhaust, did get used to it and still need to wiggle the fit around a bit, doesn't sit quite right, so might have been causing a bit more drone with that, its an awesome noise though either way

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 19:06   #12216
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rk5 View Post
I need new tires and I'm wondering if 205/55 tires on a 16" wheel will fit on a Phase 1 V40 or will it rub?
I had 205/45 Toyo Proxes T1R tires before but the roads are so bad here that one blew because of a pothole.
If you look in your owners handbook it will list the approved tyre size options. They vary from one model to another as regards the use of 17 inch wheels in particular and even vary from country to country as regards which winter tyres can be used.

If you fit tyres that are not listed in your handbook or a Volvo dealers approval notice, then it's a real good move to contact your insurance company to see if they will approve such a mod.

If you want to increase pothole resistance, try running a slightly higher than normal tyre pressure and buy better tyres. Also try to avoid using winter tyres down South, as they have softer compunds. Michellin have a real good reputation for impact resistance, although Continental, Dunlop and Goodyear all make great tyres.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 7th, 2017 at 19:12.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 23:34   #12217
3rk5

Do the B4204S engines have EGR? I know the GDI engine has it but what about other gasoline engines?
3rk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 05:48   #12218
canis
Non Fragile

Rear brake pipes. Last year an advisory, with a strict warning that next year they'll fail. So I've bought some pipe, and packs of 50 unions (couldn't get fewer) but I figured it'll be enough to last me the rest of my life, jacked the car up and got started.

First, petrol tank. I made sure the bolts weren't siezed, but could immediately see the jubilee clips were going to give me problems, rusted to such an extent they were barely recognisable as clips at all. These were not going to budge for all my effort, and since I need to change the coil springs anyway, I decided to drop the tank with it's filler pipe as a whole after removing pretty much all of the suspension parts.

After a day of cursing, swearing, and rather a lot of head scratching, it has become apparent the bolts have welded themselves to the void bushes. The bolts will turn, taking the bushes with them, but even clobbering with a club hammer cannot get the last bolt out. And I'm fairly certain now that all this has almost certainly damaged the bush, so I'm going to have to replace the entire arm, and while I'm at it I suppose the roll bar linkages too.

If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful for any input at this stage.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 00:02   #12219
patrick264

Drive home from a late night work session , cool night air really makes the engine run smooooth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patrick264 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2017, 15:55   #12220
Richardkimber

Liqu Moly flush on the V40 then Fuchs 10W40 Syn MC semi synth put in with new filter. Valves rattled a bit on start up !!

While underneath spotted three 25mm side wall splits in the inside wall of the front offside tyre. Labled as "SUNNY" made in china were new on the car when purchased, only done 10,000 mls and has 6mm tread left on it. Lucky escape there !!!
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)

Last edited by Richardkimber; Aug 13th, 2017 at 16:57.
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage