Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1070141

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 01:15   #12691
canis
Non Fragile

Oh yes, that is bad. But it's not oiley, is it. Be interested to hear what the garage say.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 08:27   #12692
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Removing the cat shouldn't cause smoke should it? It removes pollutants not carbon?

Changed rear pads, front discs are lipped and getting corroded, so I hope that's causing the occasional wheel wobble at high speeds as that'll be one less thing to think about fixing.

Still having ongoing setup issues with the DICE I bought, hoping to finally sort that this weekend after finding a download from Swedespeed
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 08:40   #12693
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

@Canis, the Haynes manual is going to be virtually useless for yours! Sounds like a cracking project. I'll stump for a T4 one day.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 09:52   #12694
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Oh yes, that is bad. But it's not oiley, is it. Be interested to hear what the garage say.
Oh yes, it's oily, to the point where I have to polish the rear of the car because the oil smoke stains it a lovely shade of yellowy brown.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 12:32   #12695
canis
Non Fragile

Ah, oil. Valves and guides and things, then. I presume you've had a compression test already? That's the trouble with these engines, isn't it. You can't run them with the rocker cover off, so it's pure guesswork without rendering the car immobile and subjecting yourself to a fairly involved job of liquid gaskets and stuff. But just think - once you've done it, it's done for life. They'll never need doing again for another twenty years.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 17:13   #12696
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The garage have had a quick look tonight and popped all the boost hoses off, only a light mist of oil which I'm led to believe is pretty normal, they've advised me to take the 3 bolts out and pull the downpipe over to see if that's oily, if so it's the turbo, if not then stems or guides or both, they did say that they can do it if I want but if i fancy saving myself added labour costs I may as well check it myself, whatever the outcome it's booked in for surgery starting Monday.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 07:02   #12697
canis
Non Fragile

When I first started the engine of The Black Toenail before handing over a wad of cash, I did notice the tick-over speed was rather low. Not bad enough to stall, and nothing wierd happened when driving, but still too low.

So low in fact that the car would shudder when held on the brake in 'Drive' mode. Switching between D, N, R and back again made no difference to the tick-over speed, so I could see this wasn't simply about drag from the torque converter. This car was just deliberately running slow, for some reason.

This seemes to have been getting worse, and once or twice did even stall. And the dreaded engine management light came on - and this I really don't need. I bought this car because the last one had a defiant EML light I couldn't track down, I don't need two like that!

Yesterday I took the Fiat to a scrap dealer, who slapped £100 in my hand, which I gladly accepted and ran away. I'dve only paid £60 if it had been me, but then, I've no interest in Fiat parts and no customers who might want any. I decided I didn't want a shed full of Fiat parts, so £100 seemed like a fairly good deal.

This gave me enough cash to buy (yet more) petrol, a gallon of oil, aerosol carb-cleaner and a tub of grease. I'm not sure what oil these use yet, so I've thrown in some 10/40 part synthetic for the time being. Anything's gotta be better than the limp black sludge which poured out of it. I spent considerable time cleaning the idle bypass valve, and as far into the throttle as I could reach.

I did notice the throttle felt a bit sticky in it's closed position. I also noticed someone had tried to "repair" the poor idle by twisting the throttle linkage to almost it's maximum extent. Gradually I encouraged the throttle to break it's crusticles of oil into an emulsion of sludge and carb-cleaner. The plan was to start the engine and have it suck all this **** in and burn it all. Turns out they don't run very well without the intercooler pipe attached. Hey - I'm still learning!

I gave everything another blast with the aerosol, left it thoroughly wet, and re-attached the intake hose, and started the engine hoping that woudl be sufficient to get it working again.

The throttle stop screw didn't appear to have been moves, so I adjusted the throttle cable to meet this appropriately. Now the throttle could close fully, and the idle bypass valve had better start doing it's job. From the amount of black gunk which had emerged from it, I had my doubts.

I had doubt about all of this, to be frank. Yet it did seem to work. The idle speed is now much better. It's not threatening to stall anymore, and no sign of the EML light. So I'm chalking this one up as a victory.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 07:45   #12698
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The garage have had a quick look tonight and popped all the boost hoses off, only a light mist of oil which I'm led to believe is pretty normal, they've advised me to take the 3 bolts out and pull the downpipe over to see if that's oily, if so it's the turbo, if not then stems or guides or both, they did say that they can do it if I want but if i fancy saving myself added labour costs I may as well check it myself, whatever the outcome it's booked in for surgery starting Monday.
That sounds like an excellent garage. "I'm here to do the work you can't be arsed to do, for which I shall charge. I'm not here to hold you to ransom just because your car's broken down." Good honest advice.

I like that attitude.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 20:34   #12699
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
That sounds like an excellent garage. "I'm here to do the work you can't be arsed to do, for which I shall charge. I'm not here to hold you to ransom just because your car's broken down." Good honest advice.

I like that attitude.

Yeah they seem really good, despite living where I am for nearly 5 years I've not had anything beyond my scope car wise until now so don't know anywhere local at all, i asked on the local community page for recommended garages and this was the one everyone said, the rep seems very much deserved thus far.

Today the new light switch arrived, which instantly cured my foglight issue, they now go on and off with the switch and also don't go on and off all by themselves anymore which is a relief, plus the backlight circuit works so in with the blue, slightly annoying that the AC panel is still way dimmer than everything else but meh, you can't have everything, I also need to get the boost gauge wired up.

The paint has finally hardened properly on the black (formerly fake wood) bits so refitted these 2 today, not quite as glass like as I hoped but you can't expect the world when it's rattle canned on in my shed and costs a pound a can from b and m i suppose, I did try some meguiars polish and also some cheap petrol station wax polish but all that has done is introduced micro scratches into it and hasn't took the orange peel out at all, oh well, it's black, and good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181004-192946.jpg (39.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181004_185255-1040x780.jpg (82.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181004_185320-1040x780.jpg (77.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181004_174331-780x1040.jpg (230.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181004_174038-1040x780.jpg (164.9 KB, 15 views)
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 13:34   #12700
clarkey1984
Premier Member

With the mot expiring this week the garage and I agreed that it makes more sense to see what it needs first off, rather than having the necessary repairs to sort the smoke problem out for it to then fail on a shed load of things, actually not at all bad, the headlight alignment i was aware of, as well as the emissions of course, far from bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181008-123241.jpg (149.4 KB, 9 views)

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage