Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068755

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2018, 14:24   #12701
canis
Non Fragile

Well, that's not bad. All looks very repairable. Do you know where the oil is coming from?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 17:54   #12702
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I'm 99 percent sure that my chemical metal repair on the turbo oil feed pipe has started to wear out, as there is evidence of oil around where it bolts to the turbo, I'm guessing it's that, a little concerned about the rack though (on the presumption it's the rack itself with the issue) as I can't see those being cheap, all in all it could have been much worse though.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 20:18   #12703
canis
Non Fragile

Meh, there's tons of these in scrapyards now. You could get a steering rack easy enough. I've got three. :-)
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 20:46   #12704
canis
Non Fragile

I swapped out the chassis leg.

I discovered the top mounts were of differing types, the offside one was the useless type. Y'know the ones - where you can't get a spanner into them.

I had planned to rebuild it, so I saved up the fifteen quid to buy a set of angled ring spanners, but they don't go deep enough. So I had to canibalise the 1600.

Naturally I had the drop-links problem. How on earth they expect someone to overcome the corrosion these items will innevitably incur by holding it fast with a puny little hexagon tool just baffles me. In the end I had to destroy it. But I got the leg off, and moved to the T4 to install it.

So I got the leg off the T4, and the coil spring promptly collapsed. No wonder it was making funny noises! Anyway, now the top-mounts match (I prefer the older variety which you can pack with grease under the cap) and the car drives beautifully. I've not even checked the tracking yet, but it feels like it's pretty good as it is!

Meanwhile, my tick-over speed has dropped slightly again. Not enough to stall, but enough to make sitting in it with the engine running rather unpleasant. I've also noticed the slight blow in the exhaust has got worse. I don't know if they're related, it being a turbo and all. Thoughts, anyone?
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 09:11   #12705
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I'm intrigued by the older type top mounts you mention, as after switching to coilovers meant to fit a p2 I had to use the later type on my orange one, three sets it ate in total, and the t4 had the best pair of the 2 and a half pairs I had on it when i swapped the springs and new shocks, neither are very healthy now, although not bad enough to fail the MOT, are you referring to the p1 type with proper bearings in the top, because of you are I'd much prefer those on mine, although I always believed that the p1 ones don't fit P2 suspension.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 15:11   #12706
canis
Non Fragile

Yeaash, I keep hearing people mentioning coilovers. As far as I understand it, a coilover is a spring where the shock absorber is mounted inside the spring, literally a coil over. So when people say they've fitted coilovers, I wonder what type of suspension they had before. All V40s have coilovers, or I'm missing something. Perhaps someone will expand on the definition?

At this stage, I'm unsure how far compatibility extends. Certainly the legs are interchangeable, although perhaps their component parts aren't. It's entirley possible the nearside leg was swapped by the previous owner for the early type, or perhaps the offside was swapped for a later type. With this car being halfway between the phases, it's difficult to be certain.

I would like to entirely dismantle both chassis legs, and put something together out of the parts I've got lying around - mainly so I can paint them and prevent further corrosion. I do remember my old donor car also had differing top-mounts, I was gonna post them to you until I noticed they weren't identical. Right now I'm just focussing on the imminent MOT test.

All that said, I can't see much difference between them. But stay tuned, I'm sure I'll run into a brick wall somewhere, and run indoors to pound my frustration into the keyboard soon enough. :-)
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 15:17   #12707
canis
Non Fragile

Today, I built an exhaust out of putty and rust, a strip of lead, two jubilee clips and about half a mile of mig wire. It's nicely quieter now, but how long this papier-mache tube will last is anybody's guess. The centre silencer looks like it's about to burst in a shower of brown shards.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 16:44   #12708
clarkey1984
Premier Member

She's dead the garage have had a good old prod and poke and can't find anything wrong with either the turbo or the stem seals and valve guides, suspected bottom end issue, this just isn't viable to repair now.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 17:23   #12709
clarkey1984
Premier Member

And just like that I'm back in the game, just bought this for £250, 3 miles down the road with 6 weeks MOT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181010-172241.jpg (102.0 KB, 16 views)
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 19:54   #12710
canis
Non Fragile

This evening, I discovered why the fog lights weren't both working. The dead one was cracked, and the lens fell apart when i poked it. The working one had broken free and was at a funny angle.

Fortunately, I had some decent ones which I'd installed in the 1600 - but never got them working and even in test only one bulb worked. But I managed to make a good pair out of the two.

So now I can drive around on sidelights and foglights and be uber-cool! Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
She's dead the garage have had a good old prod and poke and can't find anything wrong with either the turbo or the stem seals and valve guides, suspected bottom end issue, this just isn't viable to repair now.

And just like that I'm back in the game, just bought this for £250, 3 miles down the road with 6 weeks MOT.
Nooooooooo! Damn. Now begins the task of transferring all the good bits to the new one. Can't you just swap the engine blocks instead?

So c'mon then! Tell us more about the new one. What is it?

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage