Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rattle - MY19 XC60

Views : 3729

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 16:49   #11
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehadz View Post
I have a very similar rattle. Now I am thinking it started after I fixed the Dashcam, maybe the housing behind the rear view mirror is loose. I need to check when I get home.
So far I haven’t a reason to check/focus on the housing behind the rear view mirror as there wasn’t any work that was done in that area. Furthermore, the rattle that we are hearing is coming from top rear of the car. However, I will glue my ears to that specific area while driving tomorrow just to make sure and exclude another potential cause.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 17:01   #12
MaDProFF
Master Member

It amazes me sometimes when you hear a rattle in the car, and there are 2 of you one in passenger seat, we both point to completely different places to the source of the rattle.

I recall one in my van it drove me up the wall and sure it was from the passenger foot well area or down there, but it was found by chance above my head in the centre of the top of the screen the plastic clip holding the sat nav microphone.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 19:20   #13
adambsmith

My Intellisafe housing is rattling too - very annoying.

I too had my windscreen replaced but the guy left the housing for Volvo to fit after they recalibrated the cameras. Service in 3000 miles so might leave it until then for them to look at.

I also have a quiet buzz, I think, from the instrument panel area. Can't manage to stop it.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 23:00   #14
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambsmith View Post
My Intellisafe housing is rattling too - very annoying.

I too had my windscreen replaced but the guy left the housing for Volvo to fit after they recalibrated the cameras. Service in 3000 miles so might leave it until then for them to look at.

I also have a quiet buzz, I think, from the instrument panel area. Can't manage to stop it.
Why would the cameras need re-calibrating? the Screen is in the same place, or are there things attached to the screen behind houses, (Wires for one, anything else)
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 23:03   #15
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Why would the cameras need re-calibrating? the Screen is in the same place, or are there things attached to the screen behind houses, (Wires for one, anything else)
Don’t know, I had the same thought but both Autoglass and Volvo agreed it would need recalibrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to adambsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 15:28   #16
steladamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
Do you mean there are two sources of rattle; one caused by the borken clips in the intellisafe housing and the other caused by sun shade mechanism. Btw what is the ‘plastic cover on the roof’ that you were referring to?
No the new rattle is coming only from the loose Intellisafe housing a result of some dodgy work of the dealership, which also I assume justifies as the plastic cover on the roof that I was told that needs replacing.

The shade mechanism makes a strange winding noise while in operation but no rattle. What scares me is that once they replace it, then the rattles will start at the whole roof. Of course I still have the rattle from the door panel, which I managed to limit a great deal with double sided tape.

Finally as far as it concerns recalibration of the cameras, all they do is actually just place the car on the tester and this gives them directions on what to do. In my case, unfortunately after the calibration the car is driving on the right lane and some times crossing over it, while on other occasions,the Lane Keeping Assist comes into operation on its own, although I am inside the lanes, and often the PA drags me to the right. Hopefully they will address it on my next visit.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 21:47   #17
MaDProFF
Master Member

@adambsmith, have you had camera recalibrated yet? if so did Volvo Charge you?
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 22:28   #18
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
@adambsmith, have you had camera recalibrated yet? if so did Volvo Charge you?
Yep earlier in the year soon after the screen was changed. £60 if I recall correctly or slightly less.

I think I got it back through the insurance as it was part of the windscreen claim.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 09:09   #19
lalith16

Default Source of rattle found and resolved

An update to anyone for future reference:

The rattle got worse and worse. One fine day managed to find the source of the rattle a month or so ago while driving on a rough road.

There is a black small cover that slots into the back of the intellisafe housing, just above the rear view mirror where the mirror holder goes into the housing, which dislodged it self from the slot for some reason and was causing the rattle. This explains why the rattle got worse and worse as the cover was getting dislodged gradually more and more out of its place with more journeys. I simply pushed the cover back into its slot, which neatly slotted in and since then the annoying rattle stopped.

Never thought it could be as silly as that but I am glad it is as silly as that and nothing major requiring stripping the panels.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 09:14   #20
tricky13

yes i have a rattle in centre console/cntre display area - car is booked in for it to be fixed next week
only rattles at low speed up to about 25mph
car is MY19
tricky13 is offline   Reply With Quote